Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2023, 07:58 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Deleting the AC Shedding System

We had our 30 amp electrical system upgraded to a 50 amp system, replaced the 1000 watt inverter with a Victron Energy Multiplus 3000, replaced the AC and DC electrical panel and rewired the loads to balance them across the two sides of L1 & L2. The issue now is we can safely delete the shedding system, but finding anyone with the knowledge to do that task is proving to be a bit elusive. Has anyone found the requisite expertise to delete the shed system? Our electrical system works fine, but the airconditioners still like to argue with one another and shed the compressor start for no describable reason. The way they are wired for AC power there is no risk of a circuit overload. The shedding system is no longer needed because we have a tankless LPG truma water heater and there is no actual load sharing. Every appliance that needs power (AC or DC) has its own appropriately sized home run back to the electrical service panel. Anyone know someone with experience deleting the shed system?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2023, 09:04 AM   #2

On my 97 Bounder, the units have the standard low voltage red, yellow, green, common, terminals on the unit itself. Since I still need load shedding but was not at all happy with the temperature regulating, I simply put standard HVAC thermostats (choosing stats that have self-contained AA batteries) and broke the yellow wire. I turn my load shedding control panel to on, lower the temp setting all the way and control the temps with my stats.

If the red terminal at the AC is hot all the time, you could simply disconnect the Yellow wire from load shedding, the green wire from load shedding and instead run red to the R on your new stat. The green to green and the yellow to yellow.

If the Red is not hot all the time, you could run 12 volt from wherever you want (make sure it is fused properly) to the stat and proceed accordingly.
Old 02-06-2023, 09:17 AM   #3

What device does your RV have that controls the shedding? Mine is a 50 amp smart EMS by Intellitec. So when it "sees" 50 amp the shedding is basically nil. BUT if it sees 30 amp or 20 amp supply, then it will shed as needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170216_172428.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	347.6 KB
ID:	385878  
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 09:26 AM   #4

Here are two manuals for Intellitec load EMS I found online. Maybe they will offer some nugget of information that you can use.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Intellitec Load Shed Manual.pdf (283.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: pdf Intellitec EMS manual.pdf (286.6 KB, 18 views)
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 09:28 AM   #5

Since he started with 30 amp, it will likely be somewhat more similar to what I have. It has no understanding of 50 amp capacity. However, with plenty of voltage and ampacity supposedly available to handle the load, I’m unclear why his is shedding.
Old 02-06-2023, 09:48 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Our Itasca was a 30 amp when we bought it and had the Intellitec Power Management System like BD9 showed. After I converted it to 50 amp, it automatically showed no shedding and no longer displayed the amperage draws.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 05:34 PM   #7

Behind the circuit breakers is what looks like a small transformer with a black wire running through it. Remove the black wire from the induction coil and reattach the wire to it original location. That way the shedding system won't know how much power you are using.

Richard
Old 02-07-2023, 01:17 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinG View Post
Since he started with 30 amp, it will likely be somewhat more similar to what I have. It has no understanding of 50 amp capacity. However, with plenty of voltage and ampacity supposedly available to handle the load, I’m unclear why his is shedding.

The 30A-only version of the Intellitec Smart EMS doesn't check for capacity greater than 30A - it just limits all consumption to 30. The 50A version checks for more than 150v between L1 & L2 to determine 50A and turns off amp monitoring if it is, but the 30A doesn't have that feature.

Here is the 30A EMS manual, which includes installation wiring and service.
https://intellitec.com/wp-content/up...-00912-000.pdf

The easiest way to defeat amp monitoring is to remove the neutral wire from the monitor device (current sensor). No measurement of amps means it never exceeds the limit.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote