Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2016, 02:16 PM   #1

Delivery Inspection Help

Greetings fellow RV enthusiasts.

I am scheduled to pick up my new 2016 Bounder 36H from Lazy Days this Friday. This is our first RV and we're very excited. We have a 9000 mile road trip from FL to the West coast planned for this summer. I've read several threads about how many problems people are having with new RVs. I am hoping to avoid major issues on our trip. Does anyone have any suggestions on things we can inspect/check at the delivery or in the next few months to try and minimize the problems we will encounter on the road?

I've read a couple threads about pre-delivery inspections (or delivery inspections as it probably should be). However, I've never seen a checklist or guide on how to conduct a delivery inspection. We will be staying overnight our first night at Lazy Days, so I'm thinking I should be able to find 4 or 5 hours to do a thorough inspection.

Any tips/personal experiences/recommendations will be appreciated.

Chris
cspeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2016, 03:12 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Turn everything on that you possibly can while at Lazydays and make sure everything works. Run all the water faucets, check everything drains, all switches, slides, jacks, fans, drawer guides, cabinet hinges, tv, ac and heat, gas and electric water heaters, lights. Even staying an extra day is worthwhile, if it helps find anything that is wrong.
We've had three coaches from LDs and they do a good job, but they do the best at fixing what is broken before you leave the lot. Once out, you are in line with everyone else...
Search these forums for preinpection lists etc and you will find some good ones. I think they are the sticky posts at the top of the class A forum.
Old 03-22-2016, 03:12 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Congratulations. The 36H Bounder is a unit that our family is very much interested in as well since I have two younger kids.

Hopefully you will have nothing but positive experiences and reviews of your new coach.
We_B_Tripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 04:14 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
There is a checklist "PDI" you can download.
Tell LazyDays that you're going through it, it's going to take some time (hours), and that they should have it powered up with some water in it for you.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:00 PM   #5

Here is the PDI checklist I have used.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PDI Checklist.pdf (75.0 KB, 135 views)
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:58 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
The checklist Z3406 listed is good.

In addition you should take copious notes how how everything is operated. You'll be surprised how quickly thing can be forgotten. When I did the PDI on my MH years ago I videoed the whole process. I has made a great reference that I have referred to a few times.

Good luck with your new Bounder and Happy Trails!!

TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 09:03 AM   #7

I have the same list that z3406 provided. I tweaked it a bit to better fit a FW. If you don't mind, please let us know how things went for you. I have a FW on order with them. I've heard LD wants you to sign for the RV with their finance people before you do the PDI. I won't be doing that. I've also heard their PDI reps are not well-versed in typical RV operation and they anticipate spending maybe 30 minutes with each customer. The extensive PDI list should take about three hours to complete. I plan on bringing a creeper to get underneath the RV, along with the requisite tools so I can be thorough.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 09:05 AM   #8

Consider making a video of how everything is operated. Easier than notes.
FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 11:37 AM   #9

Thanks everybody for the replies. The checklist provided by Z3406 will be very helpful. I hadn't thought about getting under the coach, but I guess I'll bring my overalls.

I had already planned to have my wife video record the walk through so that we have a reference. I know I will have forgotten everything I'm shown before the next time I use the RV!

I'll post again after we get back and let you all know how it goes.

Thanks again,

Chris
cspeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 06:50 PM   #10

They have a huge campground so ask for several days of accomodations - sleep, eat, shower, bathroom, etc - all should be used and issues noted prior to leaving the huge lot. Are you towing ? If so, is the base plate and receiver attached ?

When you leave LD, consider going to a local RV park for a few days to decompress and digest all that was discussed and explained. Return to LD with any un-resolved issues --

Nothing is perfect in the RV world, but it is an incredible journey !!

Enjoy the ride ---
zorro2kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 07:17 PM   #11

Perhaps I missed it in the linked checklist, but I didn't see the generator mentioned. The last new MH I bought, the generator wouldn't start. I know of a few other new units that had the same problem.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:25 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When they did the PDI on our rig the tech glossed over stuff like starting the gen. Told me to push the button and hold it but he didn't want to start it inside the building. Turns out it didn't work at all. The gen only starts from the switch on the gen set. Not by the remotes inside. Nor will the auto start work. Need to take the time to troubleshoot it since it would be nice to have it working.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 07:53 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a different take on this just because there is so much stuff in a motorhome, it is s new house AND a new car, all in one.
I would go through it once with just you and the wife, marvel at its beauty, and how great it willl be to own. Get that extreme happiness out of your system.

Now do the walkthu with the PDI TECH and learn the systems and how they work.

Now put on your inspector hat. Now your only job is to find things that dont meet your aporoval.

Start the inspection outside at one corner and work your way around back to the starting point. Look high and low, inside compartments, look up at the floor, crawl into the bays and look around. Many harnesses and hoses.

Same process for inside.
Look everywhere, under cabinets, pull out drawers, etc.

A lot of this depends on how fussy you are, and how mechanical you are (to know if something is not right).

Any chance they would let you into the coach by yourself, a day early. You may get grief from the dealer if you take too long to inspect.

As others have said turn on everything (vehicle systems & house systems).

Hopefully they give you a Starter Kit (presure regulator, sewer hose, dog bone, maybe tool kit).

It is such a hassle to return to the dealef for fixes.

Good Luck,

Dan
Old 03-23-2016, 08:02 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cspeake View Post
Thanks everybody for the replies. The checklist provided by Z3406 will be very helpful. I hadn't thought about getting under the coach, but I guess I'll bring my overalls.

I had already planned to have my wife video record the walk through so that we have a reference. I know I will have forgotten everything I'm shown before the next time I use the RV!

I'll post again after we get back and let you all know how it goes.

Thanks again,

Chris
and congrats on your new rig!

You may not need your coveralls. Ask if they have a bay that will lift the coach for you to do your chassis inspection.

I agree with the PDI check list idea. GREAT one. If you can get the owners manual online download it and read it before you get to the delivery. It will help you to ask "intelligent" questions that have meat to them. NEVER take what the RV dealer tour guide tells you as being fact or even true. Many of these folks sound great but don't have a really good handle on your particular RV. These folks are only human and if they show many units they can get features confused between models.

Make certain you understand the information center. If you have an auto start generator make certain you test its functioning. In this type of system you can even program "quiet" hours where the generator won't run. A good test of the electrical system is to call for the A/C or heat pump to come on. The generator will start and the A/C unit will start to do its thing. Then plug into shore power and let the A/C finish its work or set the thermostat to end the cycle early. If the inverter is not demanding power from the generator the generator will automatically shut down. You should now see shore power listed in your EMS window.

But, as most all before me have stated, open & close everything and inspect with a flashlight.

Nothing is perfect. Please, don't be a nitpicker. Some things are too easy for the new owner to fix to bother the dealer with. Focus on the "real" problems. You'll know them when you find them. And, make certain that your tires are correctly inflated. This is hard to do if your unit is sitting in the sun. Have it moved into the shade before you start your tour. Then, about an hour in, measure the tire pressure.

Now the fun begins. I truly hope your problems are few and your RV camping time is maximized.

Happy trails,
Rick Y