Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2020, 06:48 PM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
Just found your project and we will be following.

Good luck!!!
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2020, 07:44 PM   #44
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks for the video.

I am currently demo-ing our 1991 Fleetwood American Eagle. There are many, many similarities in the cabinetry, appliances, and layout.

The cabinetry on our coach is identical in construction methodology. I learned to remove the 1/8" plywood first to reveal the screws that hold the interior framework to the walls and ceiling. We will also be replacing the cabinetry. It just will not survive the demo phase.

Regarding removing the styrofoam insulation, the use of the hammer and chisel looks scary. After cutting the wall into squares with the oscillating saw, why not immediately attempt to "shear the sheep" with the same saw? I.e., skip the chisel step completely. In the kitchen area you already had part of the insulation removed and the saw should be able to get in there.

In other parts of the coach, you may need to chisel out some of the wall until there is enough room to use the saw in the "shearing" manner.

Thanks for sharing.

I am looking forward to seeing more. Best of luck.
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 09:13 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerman View Post
Just found your project and we will be following.

Good luck!!!
Thank you! I am embarrased by how the quality of the video turned out. Hopefully it will improve with each installment. I might need to switch video editing sofrware to start.
C5c5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 09:28 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwk View Post

After cutting the wall into squares with the oscillating saw, why not immediately attempt to "shear the sheep" with the same saw? I.e., skip the chisel step completely.
Glad I'm not the only one tackeling this!

Good question CWK. I did in fact attempt to just shear portions of uncut wall. I found it did not work unless I pre-cut sections first, and I had to make many more cut lines for it to even start to go smoothly.

I can't explain the exact mechanics of why it did not work, but I can tell you that without the wall being divided up into even smaller pieces the blade cannot cut back up after shearing. Besides that, the blade can only go so far in and you can't continue to shear. I've tried other blades like the big half-circle and that performed even worse.

Also my oscillating tool heats up fast so it works out to only cut or shear for 5 minutes then let it cool down while I chisel.

I'll show a demonstration of why it can't work in my next update video!

Now I am very open to have completely missed an obvious thing about this set-up so I am pleased with any pointers to show me how to it better.

Thanks so much & keep the comments coming!

P.S. Maybe I need to purchase a more durable oscillating tool? [emoji2]
Old 04-06-2020, 07:33 AM   #47
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by C5c5 View Post
I can't explain the exact mechanics of why it did not work, but I can tell you that without the wall being divided up into even smaller pieces the blade cannot cut back up after shearing.
My thought is to use the tool to divide the wall into the small pieces like you are doing. Then, shear underneath the foam insulation along the outer skin.

If I understand the video correctly, you are already doing almost the same thing. I am just suggesting that you eliminate the hammer and chisel step and go from dividing the wall into small pieces directly to shearing.

Of course, this works perfectly in my mind, but may not work in reality!

After seeing the video, I agree with you to pass on the acetone suggestion I made in an earlier post.

My only suggestion on the video production is to kill the sound when the tool is working. I had to quickly pull my headphones off when you started the tool. My wife could hear it from across the room through my headphones.

It's ok now. My ears have recovered and I will live.
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 04:33 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwk View Post

My only suggestion on the video production is to kill the sound when the tool is working. I had to quickly pull my headphones off when you started the tool. My wife could hear it from across the room through my headphones.

It's ok now. My ears have recovered and I will live.
I really aplologise for the sound in those areas. I just got another video editor and it looks like there is a volume adjust on it. I might try re-doing it.
Old 04-06-2020, 05:58 PM   #49

Off topic, but what editor did you use, and which are you switching to?

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 08:01 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby F View Post
Off topic, but what editor did you use, and which are you switching to?
I used Video Show. I am going to switch to Video Maker. They are both free apps on Google Play.

I went with Video Show because it was highly rated and recommended by numerous critics.

It works but I'm not impressed because of the few key features it is missing, like volume control. Video Maker is very similar to Video Show but it says it has volume control.

I also have a Samsung gimball & tripod coming in the mail to help with my filming. It will help that I can demonstrate things without losing one hand to hold the camera!
Old 05-25-2020, 03:06 PM   #51

Gutting the Walls!

https://youtu.be/mVAjZekJKz0

I show you how I've been removinv my RV walls down to the outer fiberglass.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:48 AM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
Quite a job. Just wondering why you are removing all of the bonded and insulation?
Old 05-26-2020, 07:29 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerman View Post
Quite a job. Just wondering why you are removing all of the bonded and insulation?
I am fixing the damaged steel supports and will be installing new & better insulation.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:46 PM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds good. Thanks for the reply.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:15 PM   #55

Latest installment! Removing the kitchen sink & cabinetry.

https://youtu.be/Cld9X_KSO_I
Old 06-05-2020, 01:31 PM   #56

Removed the small recliner between the door and copilot seat.

Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/Al-3zz43qnY

Tags
ace, pace arrow, remodel