Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2016, 05:19 PM   #1

Disable right/left side cameras?

On my '15 Discovery, Is it possible to disable the function that turns the right or left side camera on when the turn signal is activated?
The reason I ask is that I would like to use the monitor for two other cameras, one near the hitch and one on the rear of my enclosed trailer. I can manually put the monitor on the "right" camera but I'd like it not to change views when I activate the turn signals.

Thanks
sims5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2016, 06:53 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
That passenger side camera has saved me from a number of collisions when a car sneaks on the side of me. I have three mirrors on that side, but none of which give me a complete view like the camera. I would highly recommend that you NOT disconnect it.

Have you considered a new, separate monitor for your other cameras?
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 07:11 PM   #3

I appreciate your concern but don't see myself looking at a monitor to determine if it's safe to change lanes. I have a complete system, but don't want to install another monitor if I don't need to. I'm trying to locate a 4 pin to 5 pin connector to make my trailer camera work with the factory system. If I can't locate it I'll have to add the extra not wanted monitor.
Old 01-02-2016, 06:44 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sims5 View Post
On my '15 Discovery, Is it possible to disable the function that turns the right or left side camera on when the turn signal is activated?
The reason I ask is that I would like to use the monitor for two other cameras, one near the hitch and one on the rear of my enclosed trailer. I can manually put the monitor on the "right" camera but I'd like it not to change views when I activate the turn signals.

Thanks
Not sure which system the Discovery has as I have a Bounder. If it is the Magnadyne/Mobilevision system you can disconnect the wires (one white and one gray)for the trigger on the turn signals. If I recall there is also a way to disable the L/R trigger from the setup menu.
I am much happier using the cameras then just relying on mirrors.
To each his own. Be safe out there.
Old 01-02-2016, 08:33 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Behind the monitor are wires you can disconnect and use other cameras. There is also a auxiliary input. Use that. But at times like backing up the side cameras are essential.
I want to install a rear camera that sees further back so I can see tailgaters, not visble in the mirrors.
Fiesta48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 08:58 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
My coach has the Voyager monitor. Each camera has a 'trigger' power wire going to each one that turn on that camera (thus activating it on the monitor). It was pretty straight forward to determine which wires they were. I installed a DPDT (double pole, double throw) switch to turn off the right and left cameras.

When passing somebody; I found it very annoying that when I turned on the camera to indicate I was turning back into the lane, that my field of vision to the rear disappeared. That is how I can tell I am clear with the toad!

With the switch, I can still turn on the cameras if I need them while backing or navigating in tight areas.

I found the information here Diplomat Mods
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:14 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I also disconnected the activation of my side view cameras for the reason others have stated. I can still turn each one on manually if needed when backing into a site with the buttons located on the monitor itself.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:38 AM   #8

Thanks everyone for your answers and opinions. I am currently mounting the other monitor which will handle my hitch camera and the camera on rear of my trailer. I will leave the factory camera as they are.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:42 AM   #9

If someone can tell me how to disable the left/right camera in the menu on the monitor that would nice info to know. I've looked at the menu and don't see anything there.

Tags
camera