Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2022, 01:48 AM   #1

Discovery 40E air tanks bleed down in a day

Hello,
I have a 2015 discovery 40E and my tanks 1 & 2 drop down to 50 pounds and coach airbags are also depressurized in about a day. Sometime tank 1 holds air and coach airbags stay pressurized. I can hear a tiny leak on the driver side wheel well. Any ideas on where to start? Any common failures on specific components? Any help will be appreciated.
Dsdbkranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2022, 06:28 AM   #2

More than likely your air leak is the result of a failed air pressure switch located by an auxiliary air compressor in that RS wheel well. This switch turns your compressor on when your air pressure drops below a pre-set minimum. Replacing this switch is a very easy and available on Amazon for about $10. The switch needs to be rated to operate between 90 to 120psi and weather proof. Spending more will not get you a better switch. Also make sure which thread will fit your application by taking out your defective switch before ordering. Good luck
Jeweldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 12:01 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
My tanks will generally lose pressure in about a day. Couple mechanics over the years have told me that is no big deal. I will be interested to learn what others think
Old 07-29-2022, 12:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsdbkranz View Post
Hello,

I have a 2015 discovery 40E and my tanks 1 & 2 drop down to 50 pounds and coach airbags are also depressurized in about a day. Sometime tank 1 holds air and coach airbags stay pressurized. I can hear a tiny leak on the driver side wheel well. Any ideas on where to start? Any common failures on specific components? Any help will be appreciated.

My rear tank will last for about a day, my front will last for weeks. Only real way to find the leak is put some kids bubbles or soap in a spray bottle an start crawling.
Old 07-29-2022, 12:06 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Check the drains on the tanks. One of our tanks was draining faster than the other and it was just the manual drain not sealing well. Played with it a bit and it sealed right up. Instead of using the pull cords, get under there and push it in good. Anything trapped in there or any bit of off center might correct itself. Freightliner did look at it for us once and said it was normal. I think they have a fairly wide tolerance for air leaks that they consider to be normal.
Old 07-29-2022, 07:08 PM   #6

air leak

I will pressure up the coach again tomorrow and get it on jack stands before I crawl around knowing the airbags loose pressure also. It just started leaking like this after my last trip. I will spray soapy water to see if I can find out where the leak is and post my findings. Thanks for the feedback and I'll let you know what I find.
Old 07-29-2022, 07:41 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsdbkranz View Post
I can hear a tiny leak on the driver side wheel well. Any ideas on where to start? Any common failures on specific components? Any help will be appreciated.
Yep.... Start in the drivers side wheel well !!
Old 07-30-2022, 04:38 AM   #8

Two things to check first.

Ride height valve located near drivers side wheel well and the "pressure protection valves" mounted to both air tanks.

Kiddy bubbles you can find at Dollar General or Walmart work better that dishwashing soap from my experience and holding a piece of 3/8 clear tubing to one ear (about 30" long) and using the other end to probe potential air fittings/components works well too....especially the hard to reach ride height valves and around the air bags.
Toribk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 12:20 PM   #9

BTW....on my Discovery, the air leak was the air hose fitting on the back of the #1 air gauge on the dash.

It cannot be repaired and I had to purchase a new gauge from Freightliner in Gaffney, SC.

Please get back to us and let us know what you uncover.
Old 08-01-2022, 04:43 PM   #10

Found the leak in the driver side wheel well. not sure what this valve is but the majority of the leak is coming out of what seems to be a vent hose open to atmosphere. There is a small leak on a white hose going to the valve also. Going to see if I can research the part number on the valve. looks like I can pull the tire off to get better access to this and replace it. I took a photo but can't seem to attach it to this post.
Old 08-01-2022, 05:00 PM   #11

Old 08-01-2022, 05:41 PM   #12

Looks like its a Haldex height control valve part number HDX90554682 which appears no longer available. Now I need to find a replacement in kind. Can't believe after 7 years there is nothing on the web or in the Haldex catalog as a suitable substitute. I guess I'll call them.
Old 08-02-2022, 04:13 PM   #13

I got a call back from Haldex and According to customer service part # 90554682 crosses to a 90554334. Ordered it today on finditparts.com for $164.
Old 08-05-2022, 10:40 AM   #14

Dsdbkrantz,

Thanks for getting back to us.

My 2012 Discovery also has the Haldex 90554682 ride height valve, so I made a note of the replacement valve.

Tags
air, cover, discovery, tank