Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2012, 08:06 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Discovery 40G Broken Floor Tile.

Does anyone know if the 2011 Discovery 40G has an issue with the bunkhouse floor tile cracking? We had two tiles replaced at the back end of the bunkhouse once and they are cracking again. The crack is down the middle of the tile and not in the grout line.

Afterwards I have noticed other Discovery 40G(s) have busted tile in the same area.

I think it has to do with the full wall slide, but wanted to know if anyone else has any ideas or information.

When I put the slides out I always make sure the jacks are down, the RV is level, and the air is let out.

Thanks!
Snybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2012, 07:02 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snybe
Does anyone know if the 2011 Discovery 40G has an issue with the bunkhouse floor tile cracking? We had two tiles replaced at the back end of the bunkhouse once and they are cracking again. The crack is down the middle of the tile and not in the grout line.

Afterwards I have noticed other Discovery 40G(s) have busted tile in the same area.

I think it has to do with the full wall slide, but wanted to know if anyone else has any ideas or information.

When I put the slides out I always make sure the jacks are down, the RV is level, and the air is let out.

Thanks!
I have seen one tile on my fleetwood revolution crack down the middle near the back.

I suspect it to be the result from when I level the RV. I fear the leveling jacks are tweaking the floor and causing this.

I also always let the air out, jacks down and then sliders out.

Wish I could help you with an answer. I will follow this thread.

Vinnie
Old 03-11-2012, 10:29 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
I will take it back into the shop and suspect they will have to get Fleetwood involved. We had it in the shop for the past 6 months for the cracked tile and other warranty fixes, so I guess they will have it a little while longer.

Thanks!
Old 03-11-2012, 10:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snybe View Post
I will take it back into the shop and suspect they will have to get Fleetwood involved. We had it in the shop for the past 6 months for the cracked tile and other warranty fixes, so I guess they will have it a little while longer.

Thanks!

For those of us eyeballing this rig for possible purchase what other problems have you had?
Thanks
chris
Disneyfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:51 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Chris,

The biggest problem was the leveling jacks did not work. I'm not sure why it took so long to get it fixed, but I suspect it was that the service department we took it too, did not have any good mechanics. We were using the same RV dealer, but took it to one of their stores that is an hour closer to us, rather than the main store we bought the RV at.

The service department kept saying Fleetwood and Power Gear, the jack manufacture, were arguing about who was responsible to replace it. At this point in time, I'm not sure if that was true or the store just did a poor job. When Power Gear sent the replacement motor to the dealership, they lost it and so then ended up driving our RV to their main service department to get the jacks fixed.

Other items that were broke or needed to be worked on were:

Some of the ceiling lights were crooked and stuck out of the ceiling.

Of course we had the cracked tile, which is cracking again in the same spot.

One of the air conditioning vents had a screw that missed its mark and was hanging down on one side.

The driver's left side arm rest was broken where someone must have put too much weight on it.

Some of the drive side curtain hooks were broke and/or missing.

The thermostat for the air and heat needed replaced. We discovered this the first night we used the RV. The temperature inside the RV that night got to over 100.

From what I have researched, it is common to have to work out bugs the first year, but since the dealership drug it out so long, we are halfway through our 1 year warranty and only used the RV 2 times.

To make it worse, we came to the dealership this weekend to pick up the fixed RV and stay in a RV park down the road from the dealership to make sure everything has been fixed. We get to the dealership Friday afternoon and find out our RV was broken into the night before and one of the TV's along with the radio/GPS was stolen. Lucky the RV was unlocked so there was no forced entry. The RV parked next to ours had the window broken out where they broke in.

So the dealership replaced the TV and are ordering a new radio/GPS for it. So we take it to the campground to make sure nothing else is wrong with it and joking I told my wife I bet we freeze our butts off this time since it is still getting down below freezing at night and I bet something goes wrong just like when the air did not work the first time we used it.

Well wouldn't you know it, the heaters quit working about an hour after turning them on and we froze our butts off. I called the dealership the next morning and asked if they could come look at it since we were so close, rather than having to drive it back to the dealership. A tech came out and after trouble shooting the fuses and heaters, figured out the new thermostat was not programmed for the heaters, but only for the air conditioners. So they are working fine now and last night we slept nice and warm.

New items we have discovered that are not working are as follows:

Kitchen sink sprayer wand has a bad leak. We suspect that when we were broke into it got broke when the thieves laid the DVD player on it, which they left there for some reason.

The bathroom exhaust fan does not work now. It worked fine before and it is not a fuse out.

So we still have a couple of things to get fixed and I'm worried about the floor tiles that keep breaking.

We love the RV otherwise and really hope to get it fixed for good, since we plan on going fulltime as soon as we can sell our house. I just think the dealership we used for service did not have the expertise it needed, which they are working on, since they fired a couple of people and brought one of their mechanics from their main store to this one now.

I hope I have not scared you out of buying a Fleetwood Discovery.

Thanks!
Old 03-11-2012, 09:37 PM   #6

We had a tile break in our 2010 Discovery 40G shortly after we took delivery. It was near the front of the full-wall slide directly on the path of the roller.

Other items:

Leaks from the water line connections to the faucets at the kitchen and bath sinks. Put plumbed's tape on and retightened.

Slow draining of the kitchen sink due to improper suspension of the drain line such that it severely kinked when the slide was out.

Blew a 300 amp main fuse while idling one day. Cause unknown.

The battery disconnect relay/circuit board blew one day. Cause unknown.

Leveling jacks had leak in line.

Shower wall separated from wall of RV.

A/C compressor locked up causing fan belt to break. Compressor replacement easily located. Fan belt is odd size and EXTREMELY difficult to find. Took several days to locate.

Outside TV had AV cable that enabled composite signal from bedroom disconnected.

One of the cup holders on ledge behind sofa was located directly beneath window valence making it impossible to place anything other than coins into it.

Cushions on dinette booth started drooping with very minimal use.

That's all I can remember off the top of my head.
M2HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:04 AM   #7

Thanks guys. You haven't scared me off. I just need to be educated in what is "running the bugs out". I really appreciate you guys taking the time to post these things.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:05 AM   #8

Disney - we purchased a 2012 Discovery 40G about seven months ago. It had about 750 miles on it when we picked it up. We currently have almost 8,000 miles on it and absolutely love it. As for warranty work we have encountered the following:

Electrical:
1) tank sensor in the fresh water tank bad
2) Sony GPS/Sirius radio replaced
a, first time we had it looked at the Sirius antenna wasn't hooked up
b second time they replaced the unit (issue with it holding a signal for GPS/Satellite radio

Fixtures/Furniture
1) replaced drivers side curtain (looks like a box cutter had sliced it)
2) drivers side arm rest broken (right arm rest)
3) several trim pieces needed to be affixed
4) trim pieces for dinette needed to be glued on(they kept coming loose)
5) on the full wall slide there is tile that is scratched from the slide

Plumbing
1) the kitchen faucet was leaking (cold water line)

Convenience
1) warning buzzer for leveling jacks kept going off when we turned corners(fluid level was low)
2) trip computer needed to be reset
3) somehow the wiring harness disconnected for the passenger power seat (man she was upset-she loves to extend the foot rest when we are traveling)

I think that is about it. So knock on wood everything has been minor.

Things I would change:
1) why doesn't Fleetwood make sheets that "fit" the bunk beds. We have searched high and low and finally ended up having some made.
2) If I had a choice I would've purchased a queen bed and not a king bed in the back (just not that much room around the bed with a king)
3) not enough storage area in the drivers area (really needs to be better thought out)
4) with the bunk beds you compromise on the bathroom (would love to see a half bath in addition
5) I find the back up camera is very hard to use in full daylight - maybe placement at a different angle would help.

Things we like:
1) bunk beds are great (we have four kids and the additional sleeping is a welcome sight)
2) we have the u-shaped dinette ( we purchased two additional chairs and have more than plenty of room for six people)
3) storage is very plentiful
4) having the u shaped dinette, pilot, co-pilot chairs and the couch makes entertaining a large group very easy
5) the layout of the kitchen makes it very comfortable 2 people to cook
5) all the electronics are Sony and great quality

Overall, we are very happy with the coach. I find it very easy to drive and have found it relatively easy to find spots large enough to park a 43 footer in a state parks. The construction is good for a coach in this price range. I would highly recommend purchasing the Discovery 40G
40GnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:27 AM   #9

Who loves ya! Awsome review! Very jealous....
Does anyone get their legs (previously reported somewhere?) crunched in the u-shaped dinett? It seems the best way to go for 4 or more people for enough room. To me it sets it apart from other models that I have seen on hte internet. I don't know until I sit in them if the regular bench dinetts have enough room for us.
We are looking at the:
Discovery 40g
Newmar Ventana 4043
Forrest River Berkshire 390bh

This goes for everyone on this thread (40GnTX,M2HB,Snybe,Hootie-Owl)... I am becoming more familiar with the models above for a purchase in the future. Did you guys look at any other rigs? and opinions on those?

Safe Travels,
Chris
Old 03-14-2012, 11:50 AM   #10

I don't normally sit in the dinette unless its just my wife and I. With the two us facing each other its very comfortable. The back of the dinette is definitely (the pole for the tablecis pretty closecto the dinette)lacking in leg room. Our family is three males and three females. My 15 year old son (he is darn near 6' tall) and I usually sit in the two additional chairs we purchased. My youngest son and wife usually sit facing each other and my two daughters sit along the back of the dinette (they are vertically challenged - 5' 1" and 4'10"). It works very well for our family. But as you suspected sitting along the back of the dinette is challenging for taller people.

As an aside - the sofa bed is one of the most comfortable on the market (wife isn't a fan of my snoring!)
40GnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:09 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Chris,

We looked at the Forrest River Berkshire 390bh and the Tiffin Red, but their tow hitch was only rated for 5000 lbs while the Discovery 40G is rated for 10000 lbs. We have a GMC Yukon XL to tow, so we needed the 10000 lb hitch.

I agree with 40GnTX on the improvements Fleetwood could make, but overall my wife and I are very happy with ours.

Don
Old 03-14-2012, 09:31 PM   #12

We looked at darn near every motorhome on the market. The DW is management and I'm labor so I leave it to your imagination as to who ultimately made the decision. :-) Anyway, the biggest plus was the layout of the bathroom that had access to the bedroom, the bunks, and the living room without going through the other areas. The second thing was the kitchen. DW loves to cook. One of the perks of marrying an Italian. :-) Oh yeah, when we ordered ours we were told that they had discontinued the third A/C unit option. We told the dealer no deal. A day later they called us back and said FL would do a third A/C unit. Glad we stood our ground; there were some days last summer where all three units could barely keep us comfortable.
M2HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:11 AM   #13

Thanks.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:45 PM   #14

We have a 2010 Discovery 40G, which we purchased in Nov of 2010. We have had nothing but a great time with the motorhome. I broke the right front mirrror on our first long trip, which made for a rough trip, until we broke out some clear packing tape. Note, do not attempt to move mirror to adjust turn signal camera without losening the set screw. A little bit of JB weld and it was fixed. New mirror arm, $254 plus shipping and installing it myself.

The only "non self inflicted" problems within the 1st year was the front a/c did not work the first time we tried to use it. Although it took three weeks at the dealer to fix it, which did not cost me a dime. The entry step laminate "look alike" tiles peels off in the sunlight.
We have put 9000 miles on the coach in the first 16 months.

Now for the bad, our last trip out, first weekend in March, I put out the full wall slide and the bed did not go out with the slide. The screws on the hinges pulled out of the wall. I looked at how it was put together, using three hinges to attach bed to wall. I purchased 3 additional hinges at Lowes, drilled new holes and reattached everything with 6 hinges. It was $20 fix, which was much cheaper than driving it the 2 hours to the dealer, I also believe the warranty on this would have been expired in Nov 2011.

The slide awnings do not do well on windy days. Even while driving down the road on a windy days the slide awnings flap in the wind.

Now I will have to look for cracked floor tile.