Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2020, 05:52 AM   #1

Discovery 40g-Potential New Buyer

I'm a current owner of a 2005 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37C and am seriously considering upgrading to a diesel pusher, approx. 10 years newer. I've been researching the approx. 2014-2018 Fleetwood Discovery 40g for the past few months. I like the floor plan, and this seems to have a reputation as a high quality coach. I've been unable to find a good source for the model year differences In that range, nor a good list of what to look out for, when shopping. Can anyone provide tips for things to avoid, watch out for, etc.? We've got young kids, and are hoping to get a good 10 years from the next coach we purchase. Would like to pull our Jeep Wrangler as a tow vehicle and have a unit with enough power/comfort to handle cross country trips without concern.

If there is a reason to stay away from this model, let me know as well.

TIA.
wcorbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2020, 06:43 AM   #2

We have a 2015 and have loved it. We bought it used in 2016 and it has been good for us. We upgraded from a gas Georgetown bunk model and I do not miss the heat and noise from sitting on top of the engine. We towed a 2017 lifted Jeep wrangler for several year (now a GX470) and it pulls great. You have to check the camera to make sure its back there.

We have 3 kids (18, 15, 11). We have done 30k+ miles and over 200 nights in it but we are not full time. We are based in Georgia and have done 3 West US trips. Plenty of room for the kids to find some separation when needed.

I do not think there is much difference between 2014-2016 ...not sure of the 17/18. When they went to the LXE the main living area got a bigger window which is nice.

The Good:
- I can drive many more miles in a day comfortably and with less stress
- Driving in the taller western mountains is much better both going up and down hill
- Having a washer and dryer is very useful for longer trips and going to the beach
- Love the layout and floorplan
- Love the cargo carrying capacity (especially compared to some of the 340HP coaches which barely have enough for people and the jeep)
- Discovery owners group is really great
- 3 AC units is a must in some areas and has come in very handy for comfort

The Bad:
- It is longer, so you limit yourself on what spots you can get into. We have not had issue with this, but you might be staying right outside a national park vs in it. But facilities/amenities are generally better
- The interiors are a bit dark (for our taste). we have just started remodeling ours and its AMAZING the difference removing some of the valences and paint can do.
- You have to extend the slides to use the pull out sofa (though we just replaced ours with a different couch and I think it will be better)

To look for:
- Make sure the house batteries have been taken care of (we had to replace ours when we bought it)
- Check dates on tires, some could be getting old depending on year model you look at. We have replaced all of ours and I am MUCH happier with the Michelins over the Goodyears that came on it (had one blowout in the rear)
- Bring the full wall slide in and out several times. It is huge, which is nice on the inside, but we did have to replace one of the slide motors (easy to do myself).

Heck, most of what I say to check would be for any model ...we have been pretty happy with the Discovery. It is a nice upgrade from the entry Diesels with the 340 motor, but not as expensive as the Newmars/Entegras with the 450+ motor.

If you are around Georgia, ping me and you can come check out ours. We are almost done with the remodel. Happy to answer any specific questions as well.
trs80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 05:58 PM   #3

Thumbs up 2016 Holiday Rambler Endeaver 40DP Twin

Hi we have a Holiday Rambler that is the same coach as the Fleetwood, kinda like ford and mercury use to be. They look a little different on the outside but are identical on the inside and mechanics. We bought our coach new in 16 and have been very pleased with the quality and reliability with one exception. My biggest complaint is the upholstery on the L shaped couch is starting to peel, fake leather. Very few big issues most small problems that if you are handy can fix yourself. If you are shopping check out the Holiday Ramblers as well. We have traveled 30k miles since we got it and no problems climing mountain grades, we tow a full size 4x4 Ram pickup with no noticeable loss in power or fuel economy which has averaged around 8 mpg regardless of speed. The engine is a Cummins ISL9 and has 380 hp and 1150 torque, it also has the Allison 3500 transmission. It is rated at towing 10k. This means that it has a stronger drive train and chassis than the smaller 38 foot fleetwood and holiday rambler models with similar floor plans.
Happy shopping Chet
carman999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 09:06 PM   #4

We bought a 19 40g lxe last August. Full timed in it until last week with a teen. Great coach for the money. It's in for warranty at Decatur then off to Gaffney for 15k service. In 13k miles no complaints. Love Wally docking for the overnight stops. Never need to get out if we don't want to. Comfortable to drive plenty of power in the mountains. We tow a 19 ram 1500 and average 7.7 mpg. We're going to sell our coach and towed in the next month or so as our teen wants to attend high school rather than homeschool. No regrets with ours. The 19 has more usable counter space than the earlier models because the tv is higher on the wall. 19 was the introduction of the tech package with router, wifi and cell booster. We almost bought a leftover 18 but liked the 19 more. We bought a year end model when the 20 models were hitting the lots. Only thing we don't like are the theater seats. They're not that comfortable. Our Grand Design Solitude was the same way for seating.

Tags
cover, discovery, new buyer