Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2020, 06:34 PM   #1

Discovery Dash A/C

I'm trying to understand the operation of my dash ac and from what I can tell there is no air recirculation mode.

My coach is a 2019 Discovery XLE 40M

Notice the attachment, the control panel does not have a switch for recirculation.
Does anyone know the make and model of the control panel and HVAC?
Any info about this system would be a great help, thanks.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dash AC Control.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	261.8 KB
ID:	299939  
zumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2020, 06:44 PM   #2

Your unit is an AURORA HVAC system. The air intake is fixed at what they call 80/20, 20% outside and 80 recirculate. There’s no other option with this unit.

How well does your A/C unit work?
Old 09-06-2020, 07:12 AM   #3

Thanks for the info, that really helps. I was very concerned about the "warning" in the owners manual about having the HVAC in the recirculation position while operating the generator to prevent carbon monoxide from entering the motorhome. I guess Fleetwood didn't consider that to be an issue with this 80/20 system.

To answer your question, the A/C is weak and is hardly capable of cooling the front section of the coach in this Florida heat. I have taken it back to the dealership and complained about the cooling and they stated it's working as designed. We have to run the roof A/C units while driving to be comfortable.
Old 09-06-2020, 07:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zumo View Post
Thanks for the info, that really helps. I was very concerned about the "warning" in the owners manual about having the HVAC in the recirculation position while operating the generator to prevent carbon monoxide from entering the motorhome. I guess Fleetwood didn't consider that to be an issue with this 80/20 system.

To answer your question, the A/C is weak and is hardly capable of cooling the front section of the coach in this Florida heat. I have taken it back to the dealership and complained about the cooling and they stated it's working as designed. We have to run the roof A/C units while driving to be comfortable.
This is very true for most coaches. The dash air seems to be designed to cool a enclosed cab like in a over the road truck. Some owners place a curtain behind the seats to block the rest of the coach off and allowing the dash air to cool the front driving section. I just start the generator and let the roof air conditioners keep the entire coach cool.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 07:22 AM   #5

By the way ZUMO,

2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 10:07 AM   #6

The A/C isn’t as bad as you think it is, the manufacturers are just putting it together wrong.
First thing you need to do is remove the air restrictive grill that Fleetwood puts over the A/C air intake. That’s under the dash, up against the firewall. A bit of a stretch to get to, but really increases the air flow and reduce icing of the coil. AURORA’S design is about 42 sq. in. Of air intake, the grill Fleetwood put in mine cut that opening down to 15 sq. in.. Take it out.
The second problem is AURORA is placing the thermostat temperature probe in the wrong place in the evaporator coil. Their placement allows the coil to slowly ice up and reduce the air flow through the coil. They know this, I’ve told them. They feel a bit insulted when you try to tell them they’re doing something wrong, but later on in the email communications, they said the temp. probe needed to be moved.
It’s a lot of work to move the probe, so the solution is to just snip the wire off at the edge of the evaporator coil, get a new thermostat switch (about $130) and put it in. It must be placed up in the center of the coil where ice first starts to form where it can detect the ice forming temperature and shut the compressor off.
I’ve about been through it all with the A/C, after 3 Freightliner shops and the Fleetwood factory, I now know all those A/C experts don’t know sheet about fixing a tough problem. Every one says they have it fixed, then when you’re out on the road for about an hour, you don’t have any A/C. I’ve had a new thermostat switch, clutch burned up on compressor, compressor later seized up, burned the engine belt up so the engine stopped, was then towed to a Freightliner shop, new compressor, dryer, expansion valve, gas changed again, and it still didn’t work any better than the first day I turned it on. Then I went to the factory and those guys were a real joke about working on an A/C. I now also have a new evaporator coil, the condenser and hoses are all that hasn’t been changed.
I finally got into it and figured out what was going on, now I have a properly functioning A/C.
If I have a check in the mail from Fleetwood when I get home, to pay the last bill, it will have all been taken care of under warranty.
What a horrible experience and expense all due to not being assembled correctly.
Three items:
Remove the restrictive grill
New, properly placed thermostat probe
I would suggest another 1/4 lb of gas
Old 09-08-2020, 07:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
By the way ZUMO,

Thanks, I find this website and forum to be incredible! The wealth of knowledge and experience being shared is priceless to a newbie like myself.

Don
2019 Fleetwood Discovery LXE 40M
Old 09-08-2020, 07:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by alank View Post
The A/C isn’t as bad as you think it is, the manufacturers are just putting it together wrong.
First thing you need to do is remove the air restrictive grill that Fleetwood puts over the A/C air intake. That’s under the dash, up against the firewall. A bit of a stretch to get to, but really increases the air flow and reduce icing of the coil. AURORA’S design is about 42 sq. in. Of air intake, the grill Fleetwood put in mine cut that opening down to 15 sq. in.. Take it out.
The second problem is AURORA is placing the thermostat temperature probe in the wrong place in the evaporator coil. Their placement allows the coil to slowly ice up and reduce the air flow through the coil. They know this, I’ve told them. They feel a bit insulted when you try to tell them they’re doing something wrong, but later on in the email communications, they said the temp. probe needed to be moved.
It’s a lot of work to move the probe, so the solution is to just snip the wire off at the edge of the evaporator coil, get a new thermostat switch (about $130) and put it in. It must be placed up in the center of the coil where ice first starts to form where it can detect the ice forming temperature and shut the compressor off.
I’ve about been through it all with the A/C, after 3 Freightliner shops and the Fleetwood factory, I now know all those A/C experts don’t know sheet about fixing a tough problem. Every one says they have it fixed, then when you’re out on the road for about an hour, you don’t have any A/C. I’ve had a new thermostat switch, clutch burned up on compressor, compressor later seized up, burned the engine belt up so the engine stopped, was then towed to a Freightliner shop, new compressor, dryer, expansion valve, gas changed again, and it still didn’t work any better than the first day I turned it on. Then I went to the factory and those guys were a real joke about working on an A/C. I now also have a new evaporator coil, the condenser and hoses are all that hasn’t been changed.
I finally got into it and figured out what was going on, now I have a properly functioning A/C.
If I have a check in the mail from Fleetwood when I get home, to pay the last bill, it will have all been taken care of under warranty.
What a horrible experience and expense all due to not being assembled correctly.
Three items:
Wow, that’s an amazing amount of work you had to do to figure out how to improve the system. You have just saved me a ton of frustration, thanks so much.
Old 09-09-2020, 09:08 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
@alank, what year and model is your Fleetood?
ecsproull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 06:35 PM   #10

It is a 2019 40M, the A/C is the same in all the Discovery's.
Old 09-12-2020, 08:20 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
It is a 2019 40M, the A/C is the same in all the Discovery's.
Not completely true... The 2020's now have Evans A/C units and not Aurora.
DuaneMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 06:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuaneMiller View Post
Not completely true... The 2020's now have Evans A/C units and not Aurora.
That's good to hear, I think. Wonder why they wouldn't offer up that information when I was dealing with them on mine? I think I would like to have had an Evans put in.
Old 09-12-2020, 07:34 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've only had the coach since June, but I have to say, I have been more than pleased with the performance of the Evans system. That thing blows ice cold air, so much so, that I have to "warm it up" some with the temp knob.

Based on all the negative stuff I have heard about the Aurora system and all the problems folks are having, I have my fingers crossed that the introduction of this system will be the cure going forward.
DuaneMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 11:12 AM   #14

Quote:
Three items:
Hello alank, I'm just starting to dig into this ac now that the heat is coming back here in Florida. Nowhere can I find any written documentation as to the layout of components of the Aurora HVAC, so I am hoping you can clear up a couple of questions for me. 1. That restrictive grill you referred to, is that the one that's near the bottom of the dash underneath of distribution box? What I see is a plastic rectangular shaped panel that looks like it may be it. 2. Where is the location of the evaporator coil? Thanks

Tags
cover, dash, discovery