Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-05-2020, 06:34 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
zumo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: St Petersburg
Posts: 6
Discovery Dash A/C

I'm trying to understand the operation of my dash ac and from what I can tell there is no air recirculation mode.

My coach is a 2019 Discovery XLE 40M

Notice the attachment, the control panel does not have a switch for recirculation.
Does anyone know the make and model of the control panel and HVAC?
Any info about this system would be a great help, thanks.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dash AC Control.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	261.8 KB
ID:	299939  
zumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2020, 06:44 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Rogers, AR
Posts: 1,512
Your unit is an AURORA HVAC system. The air intake is fixed at what they call 80/20, 20% outside and 80 recirculate. Thereís no other option with this unit.

How well does your A/C unit work?
__________________
2019 Fleetwood Discovery LXE 40M w/2012 CRV toad
alank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 07:12 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
zumo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: St Petersburg
Posts: 6
Thanks for the info, that really helps. I was very concerned about the "warning" in the owners manual about having the HVAC in the recirculation position while operating the generator to prevent carbon monoxide from entering the motorhome. I guess Fleetwood didn't consider that to be an issue with this 80/20 system.

To answer your question, the A/C is weak and is hardly capable of cooling the front section of the coach in this Florida heat. I have taken it back to the dealership and complained about the cooling and they stated it's working as designed. We have to run the roof A/C units while driving to be comfortable.
zumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 07:21 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Bigd9's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: The Bluegrass State
Posts: 7,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by zumo View Post
Thanks for the info, that really helps. I was very concerned about the "warning" in the owners manual about having the HVAC in the recirculation position while operating the generator to prevent carbon monoxide from entering the motorhome. I guess Fleetwood didn't consider that to be an issue with this 80/20 system.

To answer your question, the A/C is weak and is hardly capable of cooling the front section of the coach in this Florida heat. I have taken it back to the dealership and complained about the cooling and they stated it's working as designed. We have to run the roof A/C units while driving to be comfortable.
This is very true for most coaches. The dash air seems to be designed to cool a enclosed cab like in a over the road truck. Some owners place a curtain behind the seats to block the rest of the coach off and allowing the dash air to cool the front driving section. I just start the generator and let the roof air conditioners keep the entire coach cool.
__________________
Good Luck, Be Safe and Above All, Don't Forget To Have Fun
Pete
Central Kentucky
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 07:22 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Bigd9's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: The Bluegrass State
Posts: 7,351
By the way ZUMO,


__________________
Good Luck, Be Safe and Above All, Don't Forget To Have Fun
Pete
Central Kentucky
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 10:07 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Rogers, AR
Posts: 1,512
The A/C isn’t as bad as you think it is, the manufacturers are just putting it together wrong.
First thing you need to do is remove the air restrictive grill that Fleetwood puts over the A/C air intake. That’s under the dash, up against the firewall. A bit of a stretch to get to, but really increases the air flow and reduce icing of the coil. AURORA’S design is about 42 sq. in. Of air intake, the grill Fleetwood put in mine cut that opening down to 15 sq. in.. Take it out.
The second problem is AURORA is placing the thermostat temperature probe in the wrong place in the evaporator coil. Their placement allows the coil to slowly ice up and reduce the air flow through the coil. They know this, I’ve told them. They feel a bit insulted when you try to tell them they’re doing something wrong, but later on in the email communications, they said the temp. probe needed to be moved.
It’s a lot of work to move the probe, so the solution is to just snip the wire off at the edge of the evaporator coil, get a new thermostat switch (about $130) and put it in. It must be placed up in the center of the coil where ice first starts to form where it can detect the ice forming temperature and shut the compressor off.
I’ve about been through it all with the A/C, after 3 Freightliner shops and the Fleetwood factory, I now know all those A/C experts don’t know sheet about fixing a tough problem. Every one says they have it fixed, then when you’re out on the road for about an hour, you don’t have any A/C. I’ve had a new thermostat switch, clutch burned up on compressor, compressor later seized up, burned the engine belt up so the engine stopped, was then towed to a Freightliner shop, new compressor, dryer, expansion valve, gas changed again, and it still didn’t work any better than the first day I turned it on. Then I went to the factory and those guys were a real joke about working on an A/C. I now also have a new evaporator coil, the condenser and hoses are all that hasn’t been changed.
I finally got into it and figured out what was going on, now I have a properly functioning A/C.
If I have a check in the mail from Fleetwood when I get home, to pay the last bill, it will have all been taken care of under warranty.
What a horrible experience and expense all due to not being assembled correctly.
Three items:
Remove the restrictive grill
New, properly placed thermostat probe
I would suggest another 1/4 lb of gas
__________________
2019 Fleetwood Discovery LXE 40M w/2012 CRV toad
alank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 07:32 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
zumo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: St Petersburg
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
By the way ZUMO,


Thanks, I find this website and forum to be incredible! The wealth of knowledge and experience being shared is priceless to a newbie like myself.

Don
2019 Fleetwood Discovery LXE 40M
zumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 07:57 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
zumo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: St Petersburg
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by alank View Post
The A/C isnít as bad as you think it is, the manufacturers are just putting it together wrong.
First thing you need to do is remove the air restrictive grill that Fleetwood puts over the A/C air intake. Thatís under the dash, up against the firewall. A bit of a stretch to get to, but really increases the air flow and reduce icing of the coil. AURORAíS design is about 42 sq. in. Of air intake, the grill Fleetwood put in mine cut that opening down to 15 sq. in.. Take it out.
The second problem is AURORA is placing the thermostat temperature probe in the wrong place in the evaporator coil. Their placement allows the coil to slowly ice up and reduce the air flow through the coil. They know this, Iíve told them. They feel a bit insulted when you try to tell them theyíre doing something wrong, but later on in the email communications, they said the temp. probe needed to be moved.
Itís a lot of work to move the probe, so the solution is to just snip the wire off at the edge of the evaporator coil, get a new thermostat switch (about $130) and put it in. It must be placed up in the center of the coil where ice first starts to form where it can detect the ice forming temperature and shut the compressor off.
Iíve about been through it all with the A/C, after 3 Freightliner shops and the Fleetwood factory, I now know all those A/C experts donít know sheet about fixing a tough problem. Every one says they have it fixed, then when youíre out on the road for about an hour, you donít have any A/C. Iíve had a new thermostat switch, clutch burned up on compressor, compressor later seized up, burned the engine belt up so the engine stopped, was then towed to a Freightliner shop, new compressor, dryer, expansion valve, gas changed again, and it still didnít work any better than the first day I turned it on. Then I went to the factory and those guys were a real joke about working on an A/C. I now also have a new evaporator coil, the condenser and hoses are all that hasnít been changed.
I finally got into it and figured out what was going on, now I have a properly functioning A/C.
If I have a check in the mail from Fleetwood when I get home, to pay the last bill, it will have all been taken care of under warranty.
What a horrible experience and expense all due to not being assembled correctly.
Three items:
Remove the restrictive grill
New, properly placed thermostat probe
I would suggest another 1/4 lb of gas
Wow, thatís an amazing amount of work you had to do to figure out how to improve the system. You have just saved me a ton of frustration, thanks so much.
zumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 09:08 AM   #9
Member
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Sun City West AZ
Posts: 46
@alank, what year and model is your Fleetood?
__________________
-------------------------------------------------------------
2020 Fleetwood Discovery LXE 44H
2017 Fleetwood Discovery LXE 40E
ecsproull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 06:35 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Rogers, AR
Posts: 1,512
It is a 2019 40M, the A/C is the same in all the Discovery's.
__________________
2019 Fleetwood Discovery LXE 40M w/2012 CRV toad
alank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 08:20 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
DuaneMiller's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by alank View Post
It is a 2019 40M, the A/C is the same in all the Discovery's.
Not completely true... The 2020's now have Evans A/C units and not Aurora.
__________________
Duane & Claudine Miller
Raleigh, NC
2020 Fleetwood Discovery LXE 40M
DuaneMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 06:47 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Rogers, AR
Posts: 1,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuaneMiller View Post
Not completely true... The 2020's now have Evans A/C units and not Aurora.
That's good to hear, I think. Wonder why they wouldn't offer up that information when I was dealing with them on mine? I think I would like to have had an Evans put in.
__________________
2019 Fleetwood Discovery LXE 40M w/2012 CRV toad
alank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 07:34 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
DuaneMiller's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 166
I've only had the coach since June, but I have to say, I have been more than pleased with the performance of the Evans system. That thing blows ice cold air, so much so, that I have to "warm it up" some with the temp knob.

Based on all the negative stuff I have heard about the Aurora system and all the problems folks are having, I have my fingers crossed that the introduction of this system will be the cure going forward.
__________________
Duane & Claudine Miller
Raleigh, NC
2020 Fleetwood Discovery LXE 40M
DuaneMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 11:12 AM   #14
Junior Member
 
zumo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: St Petersburg
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by alank View Post
The A/C isn’t as bad as you think it is, the manufacturers are just putting it together wrong.
First thing you need to do is remove the air restrictive grill that Fleetwood puts over the A/C air intake. That’s under the dash, up against the firewall. A bit of a stretch to get to, but really increases the air flow and reduce icing of the coil. AURORA’S design is about 42 sq. in. Of air intake, the grill Fleetwood put in mine cut that opening down to 15 sq. in.. Take it out.
The second problem is AURORA is placing the thermostat temperature probe in the wrong place in the evaporator coil. Their placement allows the coil to slowly ice up and reduce the air flow through the coil. They know this, I’ve told them. They feel a bit insulted when you try to tell them they’re doing something wrong, but later on in the email communications, they said the temp. probe needed to be moved.
It’s a lot of work to move the probe, so the solution is to just snip the wire off at the edge of the evaporator coil, get a new thermostat switch (about $130) and put it in. It must be placed up in the center of the coil where ice first starts to form where it can detect the ice forming temperature and shut the compressor off.
I’ve about been through it all with the A/C, after 3 Freightliner shops and the Fleetwood factory, I now know all those A/C experts don’t know sheet about fixing a tough problem. Every one says they have it fixed, then when you’re out on the road for about an hour, you don’t have any A/C. I’ve had a new thermostat switch, clutch burned up on compressor, compressor later seized up, burned the engine belt up so the engine stopped, was then towed to a Freightliner shop, new compressor, dryer, expansion valve, gas changed again, and it still didn’t work any better than the first day I turned it on. Then I went to the factory and those guys were a real joke about working on an A/C. I now also have a new evaporator coil, the condenser and hoses are all that hasn’t been changed.
I finally got into it and figured out what was going on, now I have a properly functioning A/C.
If I have a check in the mail from Fleetwood when I get home, to pay the last bill, it will have all been taken care of under warranty.
What a horrible experience and expense all due to not being assembled correctly.
Three items:
Remove the restrictive grill
New, properly placed thermostat probe
I would suggest another 1/4 lb of gas
Hello alank, I'm just starting to dig into this ac now that the heat is coming back here in Florida. Nowhere can I find any written documentation as to the layout of components of the Aurora HVAC, so I am hoping you can clear up a couple of questions for me. 1. That restrictive grill you referred to, is that the one that's near the bottom of the dash underneath of distribution box? What I see is a plastic rectangular shaped panel that looks like it may be it. 2. Where is the location of the evaporator coil? Thanks
zumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cover, dash, discovery



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discovery: How about a Discovery thread? dubdub07 Fleetwood Owner's Forum 91 04-28-2017 07:45 AM
Discovery :: 2005 Fleetwood Discovery DSWEET iRV2 Owners Registry 0 03-01-2017 02:45 PM
02' Discovery Discovery csrrsr Fleetwood Owner's Forum 1 02-02-2013 05:35 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.