Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2015, 10:24 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by sims5 View Post
Only had our '15 40x about a month. Haven't went anywhere yet, waiting on spring. We have slept in it in our shop though [emoji4]. We are super excited!

Ours is 3 years old and I still hate winter and not using our coach!!! So it must be BRUTAL for you!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2016, 06:24 AM   #72

Our Excursion is 1 year old. We've used it about 15 times over the last year even though we still work full time. But we've had our eye on a Disco 40G for several months and finally put a deposit on a used 2015. I. Can't see us ever full timing, but our usage of mostly less than 100 mile trips to beaches, Disney and state parks justified the upgrade.

If the deal were to fall through we'll survive but I know we'll be on the hunt again

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackeer View Post
Love the Discovery, it was a tough call but in the end we bought a 2015 33D Excursion, came down to money vs. time to use it, but, I think the next go around will be a Discovery, and we'll hopefully be working less and playing more.
Old 01-23-2016, 11:59 AM   #73

2011 40x

I'm having a terrible time trying to figure out this leveling system. The auto does not come close to leveling it. Can that be calibrated. The manual will lift the front or back fine but the right side stops after about 6 inches. What am I doing wrong?
Banner Elk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 12:07 PM   #74

Do you have any trouble with the leveling system?
Old 01-23-2016, 12:24 PM   #75

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banner Elk View Post
I'm having a terrible time trying to figure out this leveling system. The auto does not come close to leveling it. Can that be calibrated. The manual will lift the front or back fine but the right side stops after about 6 inches. What am I doing wrong?
Elk hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me will come along but just in case this might help here goes. I had trouble when I first got my rig. System would stop before it leveled, after talking to a Rv tech I was told to remain still while inside coach during the leveling process. I had been hitting auto level then running in and out of coach checking on other items. Was told the shaking causes the level to misread and stop early. That worked for me.
Old 01-23-2016, 01:42 PM   #76

Thanks, Can you raise your side as high as you want to on manual?
Old 01-23-2016, 02:24 PM   #77

Quote:
Hi Banner
Yes the system can be calibrated. What brand leveling jacks do you have. Also are they electric or hydraulic? Do you have the owners manual?

Also what huntnski said is very important. Don't move around.

Quote:
but the right side stops after about 6 inches
6 inches above the ground?

Mine will lift the front or the rear wheels off the ground probably 3 inches or so. And the side to side will lift the same amount. If you promise not to tell anyone else in this forum, I'll admit to having placed 3 2x8 under a jack or two to gain more height above the normal 3 inches of lift just to get level.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 02:43 PM   #78

Just found these instructions for calibrating a Power Gear system. I don't know if these will be the same for your coach or not.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf power gear leveling recalibration procedure.pdf (54.4 KB, 43 views)
Old 01-24-2016, 05:02 AM   #79

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
The manual will lift the front or back fine but the right side stops after about 6 inches. What am I doing wrong?
It sounds to me like the only thing wrong is perhaps expectations. If your site is more than 6" off level right to left, you might want to reposition or find another site. If you must remain, then you are probably better off using extra blocks under your jack pads on the low side anyway. I presume you remembered to dump your air bags before lowering your jacks--that will make a world of difference and has an enormous impact on how much lift your jacks can give you.

When I think about it, the length of extension to the ground plus a safety margin that must remain inside cylinder plus another 6" lift...well, that pretty much uses up the height of the full cylinder. And if my air bags are still full, that just added another 6" to the ground. That being said, I really don't know the maximum lift possible, but when I dump water from the slide toppers by lifting front or back, it does seem like more than 6" of lift.

Perhaps someone out there knows the actual length a hydraulic Power Jack can extend? When I extend them to spray silicone on, they appear to be out about 12" on my '08 40X, but I've never measured them.
Home base now in Kerrville TX
Al n Cindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 05:06 AM   #80

What web site did you find T.I.P info? I"m wondering if there is more tip's I could use om my coach repairs.
Old 01-24-2016, 05:14 AM   #81

The site is at least 10" out of level and although the cylinders appear to extend 12" the front will only go out 6" if the back is fully extended 12". I do dump the air. Resort will not let me move. Guess I'll have to live with this for now. thanks
Old 01-24-2016, 05:42 AM   #82

The Tip Sheet I attached came from my files. I tried to find it on the net but I couldn't find that exact one. However I did find a lot of information here on a Powergear site. Make sure you select Technical Information Sheet button and then look down the first column to 12004 - Instructions for Hydraulic Leveling control calibration procuedure for control . This one is a Fleetwood Sheet.
Here is a link to that sheet: http://www.lci1.com/assets/content/s...-Tip-Sheet.pdf

There is a whole lot of good links on this web site.
Old 01-24-2016, 06:01 AM   #83

The height the jacks will lift is set by the configuration of the mounting plate on the actual jack cylinder, and also by the actual position the installer bolted the leg to the coach. On my coach, I am able to unbolt the jack leg, and move it a couple of inches downward and re-bolt it to the frame. The downside is the bottom of the jack foot will now be that much closer to the road and obstructions that may hit and damage it.

Also like Al said in his post, spray the chrome legs with Silicon spray every once in a while and if the bottom of the jack leg has a ZERK fitting like mine has, pump a small amount of lithium grease into each leg. "A little dab will do ya"

I normally carry 6 2x10 boards plus 15" x 15" plywood jack pads with me for those sites that are "level challenged". We like to camp in state parks, national forest locations etc, and level sites are less common there. I will place the 2x10's under the wheels, then use the jack pads under the jacks to help get us level. Sharon has gotten pretty good at backing me up onto the boards without backing to far. One site in Tennessee at Frozen Head State Park was a doozy. I used all of my lumber on that site!
Old 01-24-2016, 07:52 AM   #84

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al n Cindy View Post

Perhaps someone out there knows the actual length a hydraulic Power Jack can extend? When I extend them to spray silicone on, they appear to be out about 12" on my '08 40X, but I've never measured them.
Hum my 08 Discovery 40x has electric gear driven jacks. Not hydraulic.