Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2019, 05:17 AM   #1

Discovery LXE 40M at top of our list

We are looking to buy a new DP and the Discovery LXE has moved to the top of our list for now. Took it for a test drive and liked everything except the head rest on the driver and passenger seats. They sit to low and can not be adjusted. It hits my upper shoulders but maybe I just have to play with adjusting the seat until I get it just right. We have checked out a Tiffin Red and liked it but liked the Discovery better. The floor plan fit us better, but the Tiffin my be better quality. Have also looked at the Berkshire XL 40D, but the floor plan didn’t offer everything we wanted. We will be looking at a Thor Venetian J40 in a couple days to see if we like that. All models we looked at are 2019 and do not want used. We are hoping to get a good deal on the 19s when they start make it room for the 20s.

For those that have a Discovery LXE, how do you like it? What are some of the good and bad things?
Dippytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2019, 08:23 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Don't buy a Thor or River Forest. Google why.... highest recalls and lowest quality.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:30 AM   #3

I think we are down to between the LXE 40M and the Thor Venetian J40. I know a lot of people say to stay away from Thor and we did have some problems with out ACE early on, but the past two years it has been trouble free. Part of our problem with the Thor is that we had the issues fixed at CW, which meant we had to take it in twice for the same problems. Sine we started having it serviced at another RV shop, it has been pretty much trouble free.
How have you found the quality of your Discovery? I have heard some pretty good things about them.
Old 05-28-2019, 01:19 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We love our Discovery. Have had it a little over a year and put around 15,000 miles on it. Have had very little trouble with it so far.
Dennis429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 01:38 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dave, we consider you a friend so.... friends don't let friends buy Thor motorhomes. One of my friends bought a Venetian about 6 months ago. So far the shop has had his rig more than he has had it. His issues have been slide problems, Firefly issues, defective fireplace and dead backup camera/radio/navigation unit. If we can't talk you out of it, spend hours looking the coach over, test all the systems you can.

We've had our Discovery for over a year and a half. We have had a few issues but overall no major show stoppers. We are happy with our Disco, just wish we had waited to get the hydronic heating system available in 2019s. Happy hunting!
paddler1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 07:05 PM   #6

Well, we test drove the Venetian J40. Since is was a few hours away from our house and we already sold our ACE, we got a hotel room for the night. First time we had to do that in 3 years. Now we know why we want another MH, the hotel sucked.

At the dealer there happen to be a Thor rep, so I asked him if the quality improved over the last 3 years when we bought our ACE. He said yes, was like night and day, not only was the quality better, but the workers were happy, so I thought “cool”.

When we gout out to the J40 since the slides were in we took it for a test drive first. The dealer cranked up the gen, turned the coach a/c on and we had the dash a/c on high. It drove very nice, I think better then the Discovery LXE, and the seat was a lot more comfortable. We drove it at least 30 minutes and noticed that the dash air really wasn’t that cool (it was around 97 outside). Got back to the lot and leveled it, put the slides out and also noticed that the coach was hot (the coach a/c’s had been running the whole time). The thermostat shows that it was around 100 inside the MH. Cool air was coming out of the front a/c, but the rear a/c was blowing hot air. Our first thought was “it’s a Thor”. I wished I had seen the Thor rep after the test drive.

To be fair, we will try to see is we can find another J40 to look at and have them turn on the air and see how fast it cools down. The Discovery has 3 a/c and cooled the MH down pretty fast. I did like some of the things better in the Thor like the ride, power, larger fuel tank, but I also like that the Discovery was propane free. They use the diesel (and elect) for the aqua hot, seems to be built a little better, and that the profile looks better, don’t see the a/c from the outside.

Right now I think the Discovery LXE took the lead. The only real issue we had with it was the headrest on the driver and passenger seat.

Next step is to move our domicile to Texas because South Carolina the taxes would be over $6500 a year.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:05 PM   #7

We used to have a Discovery and liked it a lot. Hated finding a dealer to work on it, but in our case the factory repair was close by.

We had the same problem with front seats and ended up going to Brad and Hall and put in replacement seats.

Loved the DOAI Discovery owners group especially their Camp Discovery in Tampa every January. Besides just a great group of people.

However, when it came time to get a new coach, we ended up going with an Entegra Aspire. Couldn't believe how close the price worked out between the two, and felt like we got a lot more coach for the increased price.

Now that we've owned the Entegra for two plus years, I now know what great factory and dealership support is like. Fleetwood was ok, but always seemed to take more effort to get work completed. I had to rely on the DOAI users group to help with self diagnosis and self fixing of most our issues.

Entegra just operates at an entirely different level of support. Can't say enough about their customer support and the two year warranty.

Steve
Old 06-08-2019, 07:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddler1954 View Post
Dave, we consider you a friend so.... friends don't let friends buy Thor motorhomes.
Well friend, we did it, we went with the 2019 Fleetwood Discovery LXE 40M.
We have had a few problems already like the inverter wired wrong (I think it turned out to be the wiring leading to the inverter) but it that has been fixed already. We did notice that when I use the windshield wipers it turns on the bright lights (to turn them off I have to flip the light toggle switch on and off a couple times to get the regular lights back on). Looks like the person who wired the coach didn’t do a very good job. Once we get the kinks worked out I think we will love it.
Old 06-08-2019, 11:00 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well congratulations on your new coach! I have two suggestions for you, 1) start creating your punch list of things you find that need correcting. If none of them are show stoppers, make an appointment for factory service at REV in Decatur Indiana. You will need to make this appointment probably 3 months or so in advance. Do this well before you 1 year warranty is up. 2) Join the Fleetwood Discovery owners group, DOAI. Great group of people and the support they can give you is unbelievable. As Photraveller pointed out attending the Camp Discovery Rally held in January at Lazydays in Seffner Florida is worth the price of admission.

If you have never had a diesel pusher before my I suggest booking your first service with Freightliner, in Gaffney, SC. Bit expensive but they do a super job and will handle any Freightliner recall work you may need. You also might want to consider signing up for a Camp Freightliner class. They have several classes a year at Gaffney and they also have some at various campground around the country. Well worth looking into.

Again congrats on the new coach,
Old 06-08-2019, 11:15 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
DippyTwo,

Do you know if the Discovery LXE has power baggage door locks?
tqqest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 04:21 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tqqest View Post
DippyTwo,

While the Discovery LXE is being outfitted more upscale it doesn't have the power baggage door locks or the side radiator. Hey, you gotta save some of the goodies for the American Coach customers.
Old 06-09-2019, 05:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tqqest View Post
DippyTwo,

It doesn’t, but it does have a power lock for the front door which i like for when take I take the dogs for a walk. I don’t have to fumble around for the keys, just hit a button.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:27 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks guys,

I didn't notice when I was at the dealers yesterday. It would be tough to give up the keypad entry door and the power baggage doors locks. I am in and out of my bays all the time. Would have to learn new routines!
Old 06-09-2019, 12:35 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Here is a list of the new 2020 updates to the Discovery LXE. I tried rotating it but it keeps coming up turned sideways.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1a3b.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	430.9 KB
ID:	249221

Tags
cover, discovery