Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2022, 08:14 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Discovery running hot!

A little slow on asking about this but been busy. When returning to S&B for the winter back last August I had a alarm go off for overheating. Weather was hot, but not that hot. I was running fast, and immediately got off at first exit. Soon as I got off interstate and slowed down alarm went quiet immediately. After setting there for a few minutes and noted the temp had gone back to normal I preceded toward home.

This happened a second time. Both times was when I had my foot in it hard, but not unusual for me. Especially when heading home.

I always keep my radiator fins washed out. Itís a 2008 Cummins 350

What should I look for? Few months to try to check it out before we hit road again.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2022, 06:30 AM   #2
YC1

I would pull the thermostat and replace. While out place it in a pot of boiling water next to the new one. Watch how long it takes for them to open and how much.
2016 Ford F150 Limited V6 with Ready Brake
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 06:37 AM   #3

Assume yours is a rear radiator.

You mention cleaning the radiator.

Have you cleaned the FRONT of the CAC? That is where the vast majority of the dirt and debris will be "filtered out".

Take a strong flashlight (better when it is dark out) and accessing from the bedroom, look between the fan blades at the front of the CAC. Compare the center (which will be clean) with the perimeter, particularly lower perimeter as the fan blades sling dirt to the perimeter.

Yes, if the whole CAC front is clean, I agree, replace the thermostat is the next thing on the list.

And, if coolant is past due, a good time to flush and refill.
Old 01-06-2022, 07:30 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for the info.

Does anyone know if the cac on a 2008 Discovery 40x is accessible other than through opening under the bed? I personally have Never had the bottom out of closet or floor under bed opened .
Old 01-07-2022, 08:48 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You might like to view past posts regarding the Horton Fan Clutch that is probably installed on your engine fan. They are notorious for failure.

There are many threads here on iRV2 and all over the internet as well. If you do replace the thermostat, Cummins has updated the spec from initial install to a 190degF.

Good luck.
Old 01-13-2022, 09:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichKimball View Post
You might like to view past posts regarding the Horton Fan Clutch that is probably installed on your engine fan. They are notorious for failure.

There are many threads here on iRV2 and all over the internet as well. If you do replace the thermostat, Cummins has updated the spec from initial install to a 190degF.

Good luck.
I have a 2008 40X Discovery(6.7 cummins).The floor in the closet will give you access to the fan shroud. Hard to get access to CAC for cleaning. I found that the best access was from the bottom through the fan blade for cleaning.

To replace stat the bed has to come apart to remove panel in floor. Then you can get access to the 3 stat bolts.

Check your fan blades to see if you have viscus fluid on your fan, (will appear dirty). If so your fluid has leaked out and your horton fan clutch is toast.I have removed my rad and cac from my coach and they come out as 1 piece. The shroud comes out still attached to CAC and Rad.

Look for my post under Cummins header, step by step removal is detailed.
Should be able to do in 8 hrs. Had mine out twice. Easy the second time. Lots of rusted nuts and bolts. More info needed, contact me.

Check my posts, i have removed
basketball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 10:25 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by basketball View Post
I have a 2008 40X Discovery(6.7 cummins).The floor in the closet will give you access to the fan shroud. Hard to get access to CAC for cleaning. I found that the best access was from the bottom through the fan blade for cleaning.

To replace stat the bed has to come apart to remove panel in floor. Then you can get access to the 3 stat bolts.

Check your fan blades to see if you have viscus fluid on your fan, (will appear dirty). If so your fluid has leaked out and your horton fan clutch is toast.I have removed my rad and cac from my coach and they come out as 1 piece. The shroud comes out still attached to CAC and Rad.

Look for my post under Cummins header, step by step removal is detailed.
Should be able to do in 8 hrs. Had mine out twice. Easy the second time. Lots of rusted nuts and bolts. More info needed, contact me.

Check my posts, i have removed
Thanks for the info. On removing the closet floor do you remove the driver side wall first? The one that hides the air intake?
Iíve seen no screws that hold floor in! Also how do you remove the step between bed and closet?
Old 01-14-2022, 07:18 AM   #8

The closet floor is removed by 4 screws. They are not behind the wall. 2 " from the wall. You can see them from underneath. Look up from your coach battery location. Flat head screws. The carpet hides the heads.

As for the step, they are also screwed in. Release the hinge bolts from the coroner of the bed( inside below the bed). Look for screws in the top of the step.
basketball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 01:36 PM   #9

Check your fan belt, too. I ran into a problem where the fan belt wore out and snapped, so I had no fan (and no alternator, either). It was a slow limp to the next town with a NAPA Auto Parts so I could buy a new fan belt.

man, it was a pain in the *** standing on my head in the closet to weave the new fan belt into place. Thankfully, I had someone to help so one of us could hold down the tensioner arm while the other threaded the belt over the last pulley.

I always carry a spare fan belt now.
apavlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 01:54 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by apavlin View Post
Check your fan belt, too. I ran into a problem where the fan belt wore out and snapped, so I had no fan (and no alternator, either). It was a slow limp to the next town with a NAPA Auto Parts so I could buy a new fan belt.

man, it was a pain in the *** standing on my head in the closet to weave the new fan belt into place. Thankfully, I had someone to help so one of us could hold down the tensioner arm while the other threaded the belt over the last pulley.

I always carry a spare fan belt now.
Thanks for the info.
Old 01-19-2022, 07:48 AM   #11

Also Check FAULT CODES for other issues

I also had an overheat happen on an '08 ISC 360. I had the thermostat replaced but also had error codes read and discovered that there was an issue with the EGR & Turbo actuator, I have an appointment with Cummins to check/repair.
Hope this helps
Ikeshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 08:31 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikeshel View Post
I also had an overheat happen on an '08 ISC 360. I had the thermostat replaced but also had error codes read and discovered that there was an issue with the EGR & Turbo actuator, I have an appointment with Cummins to check/repair.
Hope this helps
Thanks!
Old 01-29-2022, 06:48 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Results from OP.
Posting this so that others with similar coach with similar problem can see my results. The CAC radiator, which set between the main radiator and motor was clogged with filth. The gap between the two radiators was full of leaves and pine straw. This was all cleaned out and both radiators cleaned out. Thermostat was not the problem and fan belt looked good. Since the ambient temperature is so cold it will not be fully tested till this summer when I head to the beach. Thanks for all that posted here!
Old 02-14-2022, 07:18 PM   #14

I also have a 2008 fleetwood Discovery. Mine overheating problem was indeed the fan clutch. I replaced it with the stock clutch and it has been fine for a little over a year now. Quite the job though. Can vary from 4K to 8K depending on where you take it. Mine cost 4K but I did take the closet floor out before I took it in to save a bit. If you go behind your rig and you cant feel VERY significant (like blow your hat off) air flow, it’s likely your clutch too.
Marty G. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, discovery