Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2014, 12:21 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Discovery vs Expedition

Thinking about upgrading form our 14 bounder. The price of the expedition fits my budget better but Im wondering if the extras on the discovery are a huge difference to justify the price. I could most likely get the DW to agree to either but not sure if its worth it. Any comments on the differences? Not just engine but conveniences as well. Does anyone know if a fireplace can be installed on the 40x underneath the TV? Looks like there would be room. After having one in the bounder I would really hate to lose it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2014, 02:30 AM   #2

The Discovery would be very well appointed compaired to the Expidition. When my Discovery was built the Expedition was just a little higher on the apointment scale and both shared the same chassis, sidewalls and endcaps. The new Expiditions are now set up for families and are more budget minded and still a great value for a DP. My choice, go with whatever the DW wants!!!! DW happy=everybody happy
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:07 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Regret is always going to poke its head up at some point if you do not choose the Discovery. If we just spent a little more we would have ??? They are both great coaches, but the Discovery is a step up. The biggest advantage will be support after you purchase. The Discovery Owners forum is the best out there for support, a lot of the members also frequent here, but there is no better support available than DOAI.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:27 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
With the Discovery you can get a lot of help with any problems, tips if needed by joining Discovery Owners
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:56 AM   #5

There was a recent thread where a fireplace was installed under the dining table in a Discovery by a vendor (in Canada perhaps) somewhere up north. Pics looked very nice.
BigOilJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 10:01 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOilJones View Post
There was a recent thread where a fireplace was installed under the dining table in a Discovery by a vendor (in Canada perhaps) somewhere up north. Pics looked very nice.
I'm not sure I'd like the fireplace under the table, but that's just me. Surely they can install a fireplace in the Discovery! After having one in our Bounder, we will not own a motorhome without one. Mojo, I'd compare the two carefully and decide which I liked best.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:23 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Good morning Mojo,

You must be my lost twin! We upgraded from our 2013 Bounder 35k to the Discovery. The Bounder was great, no mistake but the Discovery is in another world. We looked at a 2013 Expedition 38s and very nice but two things that Nicola didn't like.
-Sink was under a kitchen cabinet and her head would hit the cabinet
-Pinch point between bedroom and rest of coach
-Master bath was a bit small and Discovery had a nicer layout
I liked the cockpit and gauge layout on the Discovery over the Expedition. We both liked the Discovery had a more open feel to it and finer appointments. We did have a fireplace added by the dealer under the dinning table and it works just fine, great when eating breakfast and when watching the big TV from the recliner couch.
Yes, the Discovery was more money (abt 10k) but just drive a hard bargain. Maybe you could find a great new leftover 2013 as there is almost no difference between the 2013 and 2014. It's not like there is any shortage of these units or dealers and the "month end" is always best time to bargain. When spending this kind of money, wait for the right deal and get what you want, otherwise you risk "buyers regret"
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:19 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Forgot, we also looked at a 40x at the same time and the dealer said no problem putting a fireplace under the TV. As with the 40E, the dealer included it in the price.
Xeena(German Shepard)
Old 03-16-2014, 07:09 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I figured it could be put under the tv. It's a prefect spot just like the bounder 35k. I can't figure out why they don't offer it. After looking at the layout I think the reason they don't offer it in the obvious position in the 40x ( under the tv), is that when the slid is closed the fireplace would face the back of the couch. If it was turned on with the heat setting it could possibly damage the couch. Simple solution would be to install a cutoff when the slide is retracted. After having it in the bounder, I would really miss having a fireplace in any coach. At first I thought they looked cheesy but they actually look very lifelike and as a heat source combined with the rear heat pump they really work well. Saves on having to fire up the noisy furnace.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:19 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Do they share the same engine and horsepower? When I was reading either the brochure or website, their was a discrepancy. If I remember correctly they made it seem like there was an option to go to the bigger motor in the expedition. I could have seen it on fleetwoods YouTube videos. Just can't remember. Must be the early onset of crs disease. It kind of seems like other than polished tile and other luxury finishes, the coach's are almost the same
Old 03-16-2014, 08:25 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Expedition is 360hp, Discovery is 380hp. Almost the same...only u can decide that. I would think u could find a 13 Disco for 210k range and 13 Expedition in the high 190k. To us the polished tile and extras were worth it.
Xeena(German Shepard)
Old 03-16-2014, 12:32 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think I can buy it for around 175k or the expedition for about 155k so about 20k difference
Old 03-16-2014, 12:39 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Sorry, my canuck talking...in USD yes that would be about right.
Xeena(German Shepard)
Old 03-16-2014, 12:46 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Now. ..... If I could buy the discovery for 160 I would be in!! I bet others would at that price as well.