RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2019, 08:02 AM   #1

Disk brakes ?

I have a 1995 American Eagle w/ Spartan 4042 MM chassis question is have any of you upgraded to disk brakes or know of any one who has. Talked to Spartan they do not offer a upgrade . Just trying to rind out if its feasible. Getting ready to do a total brake job drums,shoes,all hardware,and brake chambers.Thanks
bigslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2019, 08:16 AM   #2
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigslim View Post
I have a 1995 American Eagle w/ Spartan 4042 MM chassis question is have any of you upgraded to disk brakes or know of any one who has. Talked to Spartan they do not offer a upgrade . Just trying to rind out if its feasible. Getting ready to do a total brake job drums,shoes,all hardware,and brake chambers.Thanks

I would be interested in what that would have cost (complete brake job without conversion)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:12 AM   #3

Why change the chambers.

Unless the chambers are rusting away, the service brake diaphragms are replaceable.

The spring brake diaphragm aren't but have less wear and tear then service brake diaphragms.

They cost $6.00.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 06:18 PM   #4

Just my $.02 but a Lot more involved here than just replacing the wheel end drum brake components to disc, the air brake valving is different for a disc brake system, ....and once you determine the cost involved to buy all new disc vs drum it'll probably change your mind.

While replacement brake Chambers ain't a normal item during a brake service, it would be a good piece of mind if there the original ones. They've been there a long time.
....a service diaphragm may be 6 bucks, but you'll still have the same parking diaphragm, push rod o-ring, rusty canisters etc...
Are you doing work yourself? Be careful if you do replace chamber, most come with a long push rod and is cut to fit.
The correct length is important in relation to automatic slack adjuster operation.
If it doesn't have auto slacks, that's money well spent for upgrade.
Google "applied stroke" and you'll see how to measure slack adjuster travel.
Your drive axle should have type 30 square inch chambers, the max slack adjuster travel is 2"
The front axle is either type 16 or 20, 1 1/2" of slack adjuster travel.
Post up some pics of the job!
We'll walk you through it
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:42 PM   #5
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
My $0.02

I have never had a problem with my original drums, I pull a 28 foot enclosed trailer (it has brakes). No problems, I drove trucks so I leave lots of distance, gentle brakes, I have had to do an emergency stop (idiot pulled in front of me) The brakes preformed as expected.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:55 PM   #6

Glenn, that's now $.04 the OP can credit towards his brake job, ha-ha

FWIW, most new heavys truck still use drum brakes.
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:19 AM   #7

I had to replace my front drums last summer as the previous owner had the slack adjusters improperly adjusted and the drums warped' New pads, drums and all related parts. The drums are really big, available but more expensive than most because they are not readily available because of age, changes over time etc. The coach stops really good, feels like new ... abs still works great as well. I don't think I would switch to discs as the drums stop this big heavy beast with little effort.
Hope this helps!

with 325 Cummins & Spartan chassis
completelymo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, brakes