Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2012, 01:55 PM   #1

Do I need chassis insurance?

I just got my new to me 2004 Bounder 35E. I did purchase insurance for the non chassis parts of the unit. I’m wondering if I should consider getting insurance on the chassis. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks.
Carolina Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2012, 08:27 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Are you talking about an extended warranty perhaps? Hopefully your insurance covers the whole RV!
Old 04-26-2012, 12:24 AM   #3

I purchased my 2004 used. When I bought it last week I also got Coach only coverage. It covers water heater, waste system, fresh water system, air conditioning, range and oven, L.P. gas system, refrigerator, generator, power steps, audio system exhaust fans, awnings, slide outs and leveling system. It does not cover the chassis, engine, transmission, drive axle assemblies, suspension, steering, brakes, A/C, fuel system, water pump, radiator and frame. I didn’t get the chassis insurance because of the cost for the coverage, but now I am wondering if I should get the chassis coverage. I was hoping someone could recommend a good insurance company for that coverage.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:33 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Fun View Post
I purchased my 2004 used. When I bought it last week I also got Coach only coverage. It covers water heater, waste system, fresh water system, air conditioning, range and oven, L.P. gas system, refrigerator, generator, power steps, audio system exhaust fans, awnings, slide outs and leveling system. It does not cover the chassis, engine, transmission, drive axle assemblies, suspension, steering, brakes, A/C, fuel system, water pump, radiator and frame. I didn’t get the chassis insurance because of the cost for the coverage, but now I am wondering if I should get the chassis coverage. I was hoping someone could recommend a good insurance company for that coverage.
The one we prefer is our savings account! If we need the money it's there, if we don't, it's there.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:49 AM   #5

Self insured

Ya you’re correct. Rather than paying the insurance company I’ll start a “lets hope nothing breaks” savings account. Thanks
Old 04-26-2012, 05:01 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
JUst to be sure:

Are we talking the same language. Did you get insurance or extended warranty?? Very important distinction.

Insurance would also cover liability, uninsured motorist, full vehicle replacement, medical payments etc; things of that nature. In many states if not all motor vehicle insurance is required by law, It is used in case of accident ( caused by you or happening to you) or loss such as theft or fire or vandalism.

Extended warranty would cover the cost of repair for the components when they do not work; that's it. It does not protect you from loss in an accident.

Warranties are entirely optonal.

If you do not have insurance as described above you do need it, even if you have already purchased a warranty.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:14 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
I got the full coverage warranty that covers everything the first year so in case there
was a problem it would be taken care of. It is not cheap but neither is a engine or
transmission and being a used unit who knows whats going to happen the first year.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:23 AM   #8

I have liability and collision insurance. I also have an extended warranty on the non chassis systems. The liability and collision insurance cost me about $100 per month. The coach only coverage cost me about $48 per month over 4 years. It’s the coverage on the chassis I was worried about.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:49 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
The chassis is where the big price for repair is and also a fair cost for coverage.
On mine if the engine goes a new one is 20K Plus, to replace transmission about half
that amount So it was pay a little now or a lot if something went south during the
first year where I do not know the history of the unit.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:36 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Fun View Post
I have liability and collision insurance. I also have an extended warranty on the non chassis systems. The liability and collision insurance cost me about $100 per month. The coach only coverage cost me about $48 per month over 4 years. It’s the coverage on the chassis I was worried about.
If you are pleased with the company providing the non-chasis warranty it would seem to make sense to talk to them about adding chasis warranty. Perhaps you have already done so and/or there is some reason for not.

This entire subject comes down to how much risk you are willing to accept or how much you can afford. Chasis failure of significant magnitude happens but I'll hazard a guess that it is rare provided your chasis is and has been used within it's limits and provided proper maintenence and service. These chasis engine combinations are used in a great number of heavy duty applications beyond MH's very successfully. They are durable and up to the task.

I'll take the risk knowing how careful I am with maintenence and service and how I drive.

Also with some of these warranties, if something happens they do not always shower you with money. There are conditions, deductables and limits so whatever you get read the fine print.

When my extended warranty expired I did not replace it.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:44 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Insurance and a service policy (NOT a "warranty" unless purchased from the vehicle manufacturer) are two different things.

Insurance covers you for accidents, a service policy covers you (hopefully) for breakdowns or broken items. There are so many exclusions on most service policies that they can deny almost all claims. After all, they're in the business to make money, not to keep you happy.
One person had a trans fail, the insurance co. asked for maintenance records. Found that the owner had failed to change the engine oil on time (750 miles past due) and denied the transmission claim.
Another had a wire under the hood catch fire. The one wire was covered, but nothing else was.
Another one is "If a non-covered part causes a covered part to fail then neither is covered"
The don't cover normal wear and tear either.
Some don't cover seals, if a seal leaks and the engine/trans blows due to it, then no coverage.
Just too may "outs" for the company.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:07 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

If its a gas chassis Bounder I would not get the extra chassis coverage. Bank the money you would have spent and use it for a repair fund.

In my opinion the risk of a hugely expensive repair on a gas chassis is relatively low. Not zero, but low. Diesel pushers, on the other hand, have a lot of very expensive components and can quickly run up large repair bills if things go sour.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:43 AM   #13

My Chassis insurance is me zipping around under the coach on my creeper greasing, checking bolts and doing preventive maintaince on every component of the whole system. Course, I have the time and tools and a little knowledge and a lot of friends (IRV2.net) to point me in the right direction if I need it.

Do the maintance, oil changes, filter changes, fluid levels and monitoring gauges when on the road for any indication of pending problems. I've owned several RV's and big rig trucks and never had a major component fail, engine, trans or rear end, not saying it couldn't happen tomorrow.

I do not like extended warrentee's and never buy one. Like others have said, I bank the money I would have spent and it is there if it is needed. I have read many horror stories of people thinking that they have coverage only to have the warrenty company deny their claim for one reason or another.

I do recommend having a good road service policy, such as Coach.net or Good Sam in case a breakdown does occur while you are on the road, such as a flat tire, busted hose etc.

Anyhoo, that's my advice and it is worth exactly what you paid for it
Happy Trails
Jim
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, insurance