Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2009, 10:39 AM   #1

Does converter charger starter battery?

I have a new Pace Arrow and with it a bunch of questions. Does the converter when plugged into camp site power charge the engine starter battery? I was running the outside radio and my starter battery went almost dead.
Question number two - maybe should be a separate post but here goes. Is there a noticeable difference between air condition fan low and high? On my old Gulfstream I could hear the difference but these, front and rear are centrally controlled up front and it just doesn't seem like there is a blower speed difference even though it has three settings, auto, high, low. Thanks for any help. My dealer service is pretty bad!!!
jab862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2009, 11:54 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have a 2007 38P. I have had to replace the converter twice already, once was on the warranty. My unit was located bolted to the top of the dresser behind a draw. It was getting so hot in there that they quite working. The last converter I put in myself is in the small storage compartment where it will be cooler. As far as the AC I operate mine on AUTO instead of putting the fan on a different speed. I have heard the fan change speed on this setting. Works fine for me. Good luck with your new toy. Do you have a vacuum toilet??? If not you can have mine.
offshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 01:16 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You engine (starting) battery should charge while plugged into shore power with the converter working AND the coach and chassis battery NOT disconnected.

If you activate the disconnect switches neither battery set will recharge.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:55 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome jab862 to irv2.
In all the coach's I have owned the converter does not charge the chassis batteries. The converter has enough to do keeping your house batteries fully charged. What can charge your chassis battery is what is call the Trik-L-Start as long as your coach batteries are fully charged they will than charge your chassis battery through this unit.
What AC do you have? If you have a duct system in ceiling you may not notice the change in fan speeds.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:02 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
THe normal answer is "Some do Some don't" However if it is a NEW (200x) rig, considering the cost of a Pace Arrow. I would hope it does

Do this

Park, hook a digital volt meter to the STARTING batteries or to any point that gets it's power from them (Often if there is a 12 volt socket in the dash it's a "Chassis" socket)

Let it sit for an hour or two...

Note the voltage

Plug in

Note the voltage

Did it go UP? If so your answer is YES.. if not.. wait an hour or two and check again

If YES good batteries and YIPPIE, if not, get a Trick-L-Start
Old 08-07-2009, 03:06 PM   #6

Thanks for the help and I will try the voltage check but I was wondering if it is supposed to charge it and it just isn't working as some other things in the RV. I am not impressed with the quality control at Fleetwood and my dealer. It is brand new and I already have a list of repairs. Is this normal?
jab862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 03:37 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm afraid it's all too normal, but you will eventually get everything fixed and I'm sure you will be happy with the Pace. Fleetwood motor homes have been charging the chassis battery from the converter since the early '90s as long as the disconnect switches are NOT activated. I'm certain that yours should.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:07 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

All Fleetwood coaches charge the chassis battery from the house system when shorepower or genset power is available. Other brands may or may not, depending on their design.

There is not a huge difference between low and high fan, but you should be able to hear a slight increase in sound level if you switch from Low to High. When I have mine on Auto, it pretty much stays on Low speed. In mine I think it takes a temperature differential of 6 degrees or more to make the High speed come on when in Auto mode. That's with the Atwood Comfort Control System thermostat - you may have a different one in your Pace.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:51 PM   #9

A little more info on the converter and battery charging: When on shore power the converter is supplying power to your house batteries, when they reach 13.2 to 13.4 volts the Auxillary start solenoid will engage and supply power to the chassis battery; if for some reason the house batteries never reach that voltage your chassis battery will not charge. Remember these voltages when checking with the volt meter; if the converter is bad or one of the house batteries is bad you will never see that high a voltage. It is quite common to have a bad battery in a new unit, from sitting a long time with no maintainance.
When driving it works in reverse; ie; when the chassis battery reaches 13.4 volts, then the altenater will charge the house batteries through the Aux. start solenoid. Fleetwood started this about 1995.
Hope this helps you understand the system better.
Loren
Old 08-09-2009, 10:06 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You should be able to check the status of your batteries on the ECM control panel. The "Main" button shows you voltage for the chassis batt, and the "Aux" button does the same for the house batts. When they are on the converter, they will show something over 13 volts.
wilanddij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:30 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I see the battery question is answered,, Some do, Some don't Trick-l-Start works on those that don't.

As to the A/C Some folks tell me that running the fan on LOW can lead to icing of the evaporator coil.. Though I admit the posibility, I do not believe it should if the system is working properly.

I run mine on HIGH all the time, even in the winter I will run one unit (Bedroom) on high.. Why.. Well, true, it's noisy, but my mind (And my wife's) Quickly learn to ignore that sound and thus traffic noise and other noises from outside the MH do not bother us as much.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:00 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

This is a Fleetwood forum, so the answer here is "ALL Fleetwood coaches charge the chassis battery from the converter".
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:18 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I bought a 1994 32H. Gas. I am full-timing in it in a stationery spot until I retire in 4 yrs. But, I will go camping several times a year.
I leave the shore power hooked for months at a time. Does the converter/charger actually charge the chassis battery ? I've read different opinions, and on different year models.
Should I get a BatteryMinder and use it once in a while to 'de-sulfate' the batteries ?
mr300ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:49 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
mr300ce, your converter charger is supposed to charge the chassis and house batteries when on shore power (provided your disconnect switches are not activated) because that's the way Fleetwood designed that coach.

If this is not happening, then the battery minder/tender may be the simplest fix.
Old Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bounder