Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2018, 10:23 AM   #1

Does the bounder have a converter for engine battery?

I have a used 2014 bounder 35K and the engine does not start after a week or so of non-usage. The main battery shows low voltage of less than 12v to about 10v at times. The aux battery V is good and everything works off of the aux.

I have had RSA come and give me a jump and the Bounder runs great after that but if I park it and leave it alone for a week, I will require a jump again to get started.

I have a new battery purchased at a Ford dealership which matched the OEM battery of the Bounder. The 100 mo warranty is still good.

I took the Bounder to Alliance Coach at wildwood fl, and they looked it over and said the Bounder does not have the charging capability to charge the engine battery only the house batteries.

Is this valid? are the Bounders unable to recharge the engine battery? no converter? or is the converter not connected so as to keep the engine battery charging while connected to shore power?

Do I need to call Fleetwood or Ford? to verify the charging of the engine battery while attached to shore?

thank you again,

bill
stormy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2018, 10:35 AM   #2

From your description it does not. Not many gas RV's do. I'm not even sure most Diesels do but they are in a different price league. Even if it does putting in a trick l start or similar might be a lower cost fix.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 10:41 AM   #3

Your Bounder does indeed have a system to keep all batteries charged no matter the source. This had been a Fleetwood plus since 1995. When either battery bank reaches 13.3 volts the isolator relay closes and all batteries charge. Most likely the isolator relay is at fault, It is located in the Battery Control Center. Some where close to the batteries.

Richard
Old 08-30-2018, 10:44 AM   #4

Get a Tri K L Start, Yandina 100 battery combiner, Cyrix 100 battery combiner or on of the other brand devices.

They will keep your start battery topped off, as long as you are on shore power, and the house batteries are being maintained.

There are also battery tenders that plug into 120 volt outlets that keep the start battery from draining. Battery Minder comes to mind.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 10:54 AM   #5

Or the Trik l starts big brother Ample Start.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 01:08 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I took the Bounder to Alliance Coach at wildwood fl, and they looked it over and said the Bounder does not have the charging capability to charge the engine battery only the house batteries.

They are wrong about that. All Fleetwood coaches have that capability - the house 12v system will charge the engine battery as needed. HOWEVER, the charge management function will not charge the engine battery until the house batteries are at or near full charge. If you have weak house batteries, the charge status may never reach the point where engine charging is enabled. It could also be that the solenoid used to switch the connection between the two battery banks is no longer working. It's the same solenoid as for the Aux Start switch, so try that to see if it works.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 02:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
They are wrong about that. All Fleetwood coaches have that capability - the house 12v system will charge the engine battery as needed. HOWEVER, the charge management function will not charge the engine battery until the house batteries are at or near full charge. If you have weak house batteries, the charge status may never reach the point where engine charging is enabled. It could also be that the solenoid used to switch the connection between the two battery banks is no longer working. It's the same solenoid as for the Aux Start switch, so try that to see if it works.
Actually the charge management only measures volts. 13.3 volts and it combines the 2 banks.

That's if it has a bi-directional system.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 03:46 PM   #8

thanks, I will try to isolate if the problem lay within the system itself before going with a floater type charger for the battery. also when using the bounder's battery meter monitor, the house shows bout 13v so accordingly the engine battery should begin to charge.

their is a battery dis box in the above the radiator and I'll check that to see if any f uses are burnt and need replacement or other problem if any.

thanks for the advice and info.
Old 09-01-2018, 11:03 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Actually the charge management only measures volts. 13.3 volts and it combines the 2 banks.

Correct. Both the RVP and the Intelletec charge controllers consider a house system voltage of 13.3 to be "fully charged". It's not a very precise measurement, but it is sufficient for the need.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 06:26 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy2000 View Post
thanks, I will try to isolate if the problem lay within the system itself before going with a floater type charger for the battery. also when using the bounder's battery meter monitor, the house shows bout 13v so accordingly the engine battery should begin to charge.

their is a battery dis box in the above the radiator and I'll check that to see if any f uses are burnt and need replacement or other problem if any.

thanks for the advice and info.
Stormy, Gary Brinck has given you the best answer IMHO. I have a 99 Bounder, it has two switches over the entry door on the right side. One switch is AUX (House Batteries) and the other is MAIN (Chassis Battery). When NOT stored I leave them both ON. These switches operate solenoids in the BCC. Fleetwood explained to me "When the switches are on and either of these conditions: the engine is running, or the generator, or on shore power all batteries receive a charge. Solenoids/relays are a failing point. I keep spares. In my BCC there is a solenoid that is very hot, it is continuously energized on shore power etc. It is the same solenoid that gets energized when the AUX switch on the dash is used to start the engine with house batteries. If that solenoid fails your chassis battery will not charge from the generator or shore power. TEST: Plug your coach into shore power, wait 20 minutes, check your Battery Control Center for a hot solenoid. If you don't feel a hot solenoid you have a failure, either control or power.
Bounder28T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 09:49 PM   #11

I got the email response from fleetwood rev group and here it is:

Thank you for contacting REV Recreation Group.

In regards to your inquiry, the coach is equipped with a Magnum invertor. This would assist with charging the chassis battery when plugged in. The coach is equipped with both a main and aux disconnect switch, typically located either by the entry door or near the monitor panel. Make sure the main disconnect did not become engaged, thus not allowing the charge to get to the batteries. Also attached is a troubleshooting guide for the battery control center to check the main disconnect.

For further assistance, we would need to refer you to a dealership.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:50 PM   #12

so tomorrow morning I will check that and also thanks for your response on your bounder

Tags
battery, bounder, converter, engine