Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2005, 02:10 AM   #1

Send a message via ICQ to Pat Z Send a message via AIM to Pat Z Send a message via Yahoo to Pat Z
What does it take to get a good seal on the drain on Fleetwood RV's? The way the drain comes down on an angle, in the back of the cabinet, close to the floor of the compartment, every fitting I try leaks. I bought every fitting I could find that had 4 lugs and still have waste water spraying from the connection to the coach discharge, everytime I dump.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2005, 02:10 AM   #2

Send a message via ICQ to Pat Z Send a message via AIM to Pat Z Send a message via Yahoo to Pat Z
What does it take to get a good seal on the drain on Fleetwood RV's? The way the drain comes down on an angle, in the back of the cabinet, close to the floor of the compartment, every fitting I try leaks. I bought every fitting I could find that had 4 lugs and still have waste water spraying from the connection to the coach discharge, everytime I dump.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:03 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Pat Z,
The angle of my sewer dump is to low to attach a clear pipe fitting also, to the hole thru bottom of compartment ,I solved it by making up a short piece of sewer hose to go below hole, than placing clear fitting, than to sewer hose connection drain. I used all kinds of sizes an angles also, this was my only out, short of making up new sewer connections. This short piece also helps when honey wagon may have to call. ---"007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 10:52 AM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by "007":
Pat Z,
The angle of my sewer dump is to low to attach a clear pipe fitting also, to the hole thru bottom of compartment ,I solved it by making up a short piece of sewer hose to go below hole, than placing clear fitting, than to sewer hose connection drain. I used all kinds of sizes an angles also, this was my only out, short of making up new sewer connections. This short piece also helps when honey wagon may have to call. ---"007" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought about doing that. My problem is getting a tight connection at the discharge on the RV right below the valves. No matter what kind of fitting I use S_ _ _T sprays out. What are you using to connect to the discharge on the RV?
Old 03-07-2005, 11:09 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I use the two pin lock twisty, it should have a good rubber o-ring in it to make a tight connection an seal, or else will result. Do you have a smooth surface on the pipe, an have you got both tabs on the outlet pipe? If your missing a tab you will have to cut pipe an place new black pipe fitting, using pipe cement for a good seal.---"007"
Old 03-07-2005, 11:20 AM   #6

I only use 4 lug fittings. I will check the end of the pipe and may end up attaching a 90' fitting and put a bead of sealant on the gasket. Then cap that off when I'm not using it.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:44 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Even with a bad O-ring in the connector, you shouldn't get more than a drip or small trickle. The end of your drain pipe may be damaged or defective.

However, I'm wondering about those 4-lug fittings you are using. That does not sound like a standard 4" drain fitting. There are usually 4 pins on one side but only 2 locking lugs on the mate. Is it possible you are using an incorrect type of fitting? The so-called 3" fittings are actually very close to the 4" Valterra standard used on Fleetwoods (and most others) and might give the result you are seeing. Some of the 3" fittings have 4 lugs instead of two. Buy an actual Valterra brand, 4" fitting with TWO lugs and see how it goes.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 08:53 AM   #8

I'll agree with Gary - your problem is something other than it being a Fleetwood product. They don't make the tank fittings, they're buying Valterra stuff just like everybody else. We're on our 3rd FW motorhome, and never have experianced the type of problem that you are having here.If you still have a problem with it after trying the different fitting, take it to the dealer - you're under warranty.

2005 Revolution LE 40E
Steve Val is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 09:28 AM   #9

I have tried 4 different fittings. It may be a damaged end on the pipe. The reference to Fleetwood was in the way the discharge is designed, at the rear of the compartment, on an angle, pointing away from the hole in the floor of the compartment. If it was a streighter run there would be less strain on the connection.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:12 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sounds like someone at FW had his head on backwoods on a Friday afternoon. Like Steve said take it back to dealer, you paid enought for your coach, shouldn't have to correct their problem.---"007"