Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2015, 10:21 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Question Dumb Question...

I follow many of the threads on this forum and have learned quite a lot from everyone's foibles and projects.

So, here is my dumb question: Should we be the proud owners of a "creeper" in order to do some things under the MH (2003 Bounder 35R)? We are just completing our first year of ownership on "Big Bertha" and would like to be able to do some of the work ourselves.

It seems awfully low to get under the coach. We have a slow drip from our fresh tank and I think it is probably just having to tighten the screw where the hose goes into the mid tank. Having said that, I have yet to get all the way under the coach to see and the connection is right in the middle.

I told you it was a dumb question...

Bernie

Big Bertha - 2003 Bounder 35R
mttop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2015, 10:32 AM   #2

Creeper works if you have a hard flat surface. A big piece of cardboard or two works on any surface and does not need as much clearance.

The only way I will get under the MH is if it is on solid ground or solid blocks. YMMV but I would advise against it. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:50 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bernie--there's no such thing as a dumb question! For us, we have never had any use for a creeper. If you think you would use a creeper, by all means get one!
Old 07-29-2015, 10:51 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Creepers are a good idea that don't work all that well. Just trying to roll under a vehicle on a creeper finds me scraping parts of my skin off that I would just as well like to keep. I just use a plastic tarp that I push under my vehicles then slide under on that. It is also easier to find anything that I drop on the tarp as opposed to the ground. I can also fold the tarp and take it with me, creepers take up too much storage room.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 01:19 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
A creeper would be great for a commercial truck, as they have the height to allow you to get under there and inspect etc. Coaches, passenger or recreational, typically have less clearance due to the storage in the basement, and the basement itself.

As it stands, I can get right underneath my bounder and sit upright underneath it. Plenty of room for a creeper. If it was up on its jacks, and on solid concrete, then I would get a creeper for sure.

I use an old large weaved blanket. It cushions the uneven ground and rocks, its a catch-all, folds up and stores easily, and in the colder weather, can insulate against cold or frozen ground.
superk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 01:26 PM   #6

I bought a creeper only to find out there is not enough room to slide under my coach except in the far rear portion where there is slightly more clearance. I think the cardboard idea or tarp is the best.

Sorry to disagree with the poster who uses the coach jacks. I would never do that. It is an accident waiting to happen that would probably be fatal.

Don
Old 07-29-2015, 01:36 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Make you some "ramps" for each wheel out of 2 x 12's Place them in front of each wheel and drive up on them. Make the top pad long enough so you can choke the wheels and you wont have any problems. Working under your MH by using the jacks is unsafe in my opinion.
camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 03:02 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
To use a creeper you need a SMOOTH CONCRETE parking pad

I have never been that lucky
Old 07-29-2015, 04:03 PM   #9

Creepers are for wussies. Real men just crawl under the coach with there regular cloths on until their wife yells at them to change into the old clothes.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:12 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have to chime in pretty much in agreement with the consensus here. We have the RV and we have the creeper; rarely is there enough room to do anything when on the creeper under the rig.

I fantasize about a smooth, level, concrete pad to work on. HA!!! Instead of the crushed cinders that we have.

As far as jacks; I have no problem using the built in hydraulics to lift the coach, but would never get underneath without FIRST chocking the wheels and putting floor jacks in place (just in case.) The jacks have never failed, but it would only take once :-)

Just my .02

John
Towing 2006 Honda CR-V LX
ziaptrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:41 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I use a creeper on my DG parking area, works for me with my coach. YMMV.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 07:14 AM   #12

American Coach Owners Club
I have a creeper and my coach is stored on a smooth concrete floor but I find that while I can get under the coach, front to back, I basically can just observe but don't have enough room to do any work. The shade tree mechanic that helps me sometimes uses waxed cardboard boxes he get's from grocery stores, slide right in and out with enough room to work. If I was at a campground with dirt or gravel site I would use my patio mat weaved patio mat.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:45 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
Creepers are for wussies. Real men just crawl under the coach with there regular cloths on until their wife yells at them to change into the old clothes.
Hmm..this seems to happen to me often after work when I'm still in a button up shirt and playing with the RV.

I use the built in jacks with some wood blocks under the front or back to really get it off the ground. I have two 6t jack stands that go under as backup and chock the wheels for insurance. Plenty of room to work with a $5 moving blanket from harbor freight. I replaced all the electrical components of the water heater from underneath the trap door this way.
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 12:32 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks everyone...

I agree regarding the jacks...I would never want to do that. I think I have a shipping box (unused, so still flat) that is 24 x 36...that should work...

bernie

Big Bertha - 2003 Bounder 35R
mttop is offline   Reply With Quote