Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2015, 10:19 AM   #1

Electric brake controller install

I am attempting to install a electric brake controller in my 2008 Fleetwood Expedition, it is built on a Freightliner XCS chassis. I have located the factory wiring harness and I am having problems locating a harness plug that fit's the factory brake assist connection. Has anyone found this?
hayward3411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2015, 02:09 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

No, but if you can identify the type of plug it should be easy enough to obtain from an electronics supply store. Call FCCC Customer Service (800-FTL-HELP) and have your VIN handy and they should be able to tell you what the connector is. Or if the harness is a Fleetwood install, call them instead.

Suppliers like DigiKey have thousands of connectors available
Connectors, Interconnects | Electronic Components Distributor DigiKey
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 02:14 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
I just finished finding this on my 2013. We needed to use that wire for a different purpose, so I called FW and they told me to look for a wire cluster hanging near the brake pedal. We had to poke around a bit because there are lots and lots of wire clusters there, but sure enough we did find a cluster with about 8 wires in it that went to a "dead-end" plug. Had to remove the end-cap of that plug and then use a tester to determine which wire was which. I was merely a helper in this process--using some testing equipment that my mechanic had. He plugged in a pigtail on my RV's 7-pin connector, twisted two wires together, then we tested each of those wires by the break pedal by touching the end with the tester and simultaneously hitting the brake pedal. Hitting the brake pedal completed the circuit, enabling us to locate the correct wire.

I hope you don't ask for more details, because I really wasn't 100% clear on what the heck we were doing! But I was skinny enough to easily get myself under that steering wheel, whereas my mechanic... well... he told me he was on a "tea" diet, but he was referring to a different T: Tacos, tortillas, tostitos..
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 03:28 PM   #4

OK, after 3 days attempting to get answers from both Fleetwood and Freightliner I have come to the conclusion that nobody makes the connector to the Freightliner XCS chassis electric brake wiring harness. Freightliner has identified the wires and I confirmed using a multimeter so I removed the fuse, cut the wires and will hardwire the electric brake controller tomorrow. Freightliner did identify parts but after contacting my local Freightliner dealer they indicated that the parts were used to build a harness connector, the crazy price for all 3 parts were over $200.00, nuts!

Thanks for your ideas!
hayward3411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 04:20 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
That is basically what I did. If you look up some of my old posts i have pictures and color codes for each wire if you need a reference. I just left the factory connector and spliced into the wires and soldiered the controller wires inline.

Good luck!
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, install