Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2014, 10:12 PM   #1

Electric step problem '01 Southwind

I know this step problem has been talked about many times but I'm going to ask it again. On our coach, the step has a habit of going in and out while we are driving, parked, at a stop light, just about anywhere anytime. I have tried all combinations of the switches, ignition, step switch, and the two switches above the door. Nothing seems to work. Today, the steps just kept going in and out for the better part of four hours while we were driving. I am tired of having people drive up along side of us and wave and point at our step. Can anybody give me an idea of what might be wrong? I have been told that it is a common problem and probably a bad ground. But I don't know where to look for a ground. To me the step should be grounded through the mounting bolts. So, where should I look for a ground wire?

Ray
Socaltoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2014, 10:33 PM   #2

There should be a ground wire coming from the step control unit located under the step assembly. Check and make sure it has a good ground to the step frame.

Also check the magnetic switch on your door for possible misalignment which could be the source of your problem.

If you can't resolve the problem I would take it in to a qualified RV repair shop for a fix.

Best of luck and let us know if you find the fix

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:43 PM   #3

Jim says check the magnetic switch in the door frame. There is a magnet mounted to the screen door and it sounds like the door frame is flexing just enough to move the magnet and lower the steps, then the frame flexes and up go the steps. You also might have a board problem. I don't think a ground issue could be there as the steps work both directions.
When the steps start moving by themselves try pulling in on the screen from inside and see if the steps stop. If so, readjust the magnet in the screen.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:03 AM   #4

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I did check the magnet and in fact I put a magnet directly to the one that is wired to no avail. I will have to crawl under there and see if I can find something. It sure would be nice to know where to set all the switches too. I am under the impression that whatever position the step is in when the ignition is turned off is where the step will stay. NOT. The step does go out whenever we open the door but from that point we never know what it is going to do. It's a mystery. It might just turn out to be the controller but I'm hoping that it is something simple. Thanks to everybody for trying to help.

Ray
Old 01-13-2014, 10:12 AM   #5

I had the issue and found I had to adjust my door to close tighter!
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:26 AM   #6

Thanks folks for your help and suggestions. I posted this same question over on the Escapees Forum and got some great info. There is a website devoted to the Kwikee steps with troubleshooting videos and downloadable PDF files for step by step diagnosing. They are here:

Diagnostic Videos - Power Gear

and here:

Kwikee Step Tech Info

This is great info.

Ray
Old 01-22-2014, 07:25 PM   #7

Mine was caused by the connector that connects it to the chassis wiring. It was a four wire plug dangling in the breeze below. I opened it up, cleaned the contacts and slightly re-routed the cabling and tied it up where it was more secure. Fixed! Cost five tywraps and some spray contact cleaner.
Fl_Richard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
southwind