Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2013, 01:34 AM   #1

Unhappy Electric steps 2013 Bounder 35K

I read the manual for the electric steps and cannot find an answer to the problem of the steps remaining in closed position when you turn off the battery power to keep the batteries from draining while in parked position for a long period of time. I have to exit the vehicle by jumping out after opening the door because the steps stay retracted. Also, upon entering the RV you then have to get a step ladder to get up into the RV. This doesn't make sense. When I left the battery power on when parked for extended period of non use both batteries drained and I could not start the RV. I had to plug into house circuit to charge the batteries enough to start ignition. Any help in solving this issue would be great.
doowop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2013, 04:36 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
You just answered your question mainly, if you kill all the power then they will not work at all, try this open the door then kill the power bet they will stay out.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:30 AM   #3

I have a 2012 Bounder 35K and my steps work exactly as described. I open the steps and then cut the batteries. This way the steps stay extended.

We really enjoy our rig. Going full time after the sale of our house closes 7/17.
mst0neham123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:30 PM   #4

Do I understand this correctly? If the steps are in the closed position when parked, there is a drain on the battery? My steps were staying out when I would close the door until I found the switch just inside of the door. Once I hit that switch the steps would retract when I closed the door. Am I draining my battery by doing that? Our m/h is a 2001 Southwind.

Ray
Socaltoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:00 PM   #5

I just did some checking and found that if you turn off the battery kill switch/switches the steps will remain in whatever position they were in when you did. I just tried mine and that is correct.

Ray
Old 06-22-2013, 11:07 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socaltoolguy View Post
Do I understand this correctly? If the steps are in the closed position when parked, there is a drain on the battery? My steps were staying out when I would close the door until I found the switch just inside of the door. Once I hit that switch the steps would retract when I closed the door. Am I draining my battery by doing that? Our m/h is a 2001 Southwind.

Ray
The position of the steps does not affect or cause any drain on the battery. Some of us just cut the power when storing our RVs to prevent ANY trickle drain. We leave our steps retracted, so my hubby has to hop down from the moho after the power is cut. This is just our preference since we leave the RV in a storage facility and don't want the steps to be damaged, or make it easier for some thief to jimmy the door.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:08 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I just did some checking and found that if you turn off the battery kill switch/switches the steps will remain in whatever position they were in when you did. I just tried mine and that is correct.

Ray
Yep!
Old 07-02-2013, 05:43 PM   #8

Well, something is wrong. Last week when I was following this thread, I went to my m/h and checked out the switches for the step, and the main and aux. Well, I turned everything off including the ignition. I left the step switch in the step position and I left one light in the on position so I would know when all was off. I decided to go check out the rig today and the main battery is dead. The house batteries are still ok because the one light comes on when I rock the aux switch to the on position. But no ignition. Did I do something wrong or do I have an electrical problem? The owner's manual is not helpful.

Ray
Old 07-02-2013, 05:53 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Try " rocking " the main switch to the on position.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Try " rocking " the main switch to the on position.
I have rocked both switches and what I have found is the battery is dead. So, I put a good charger on it and got the engine to start. The step started going in and out. It wants to stay in the out position. I haven't figured that out yet. I also tried to start the generator but it just sort of pulses but doesn't crank over. I can feel it doing something. I think it is priming itself. Anyway, all because I turned off those darned switches. I should have left well enough alone.

Ray
Old 07-03-2013, 12:36 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I have rocked both switches and what I have found is the battery is dead. So, I put a good charger on it and got the engine to start. The step started going in and out. It wants to stay in the out position. I haven't figured that out yet. I also tried to start the generator but it just sort of pulses but doesn't crank over. I can feel it doing something. I think it is priming itself. Anyway, all because I turned off those darned switches. I should have left well enough alone.

Ray
Ray, I don't think your problem is from turning off the switches. Do you have the step switch on so that the step stays out? (If the engine is cranked, the steps will automatically retract.) As for the generator, are you priming it for 15-20 seconds before you hit start?
Old 07-03-2013, 03:01 AM   #12

Ray,

Do you not have two sets of disconnect switches? One for the house batteries and one for the chassis batteries? I typically flip the house disconnect switch with the door open to make my steps stay out, and then walk back and disconnect the chassis battery.

JG
jgdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:56 AM   #13
Community Administrator

This is a pic of the lower left portion of my BCC ( battery control center ) . There are two 12v circuit breakers there. See if these on yours need to be reset ( push button )

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-121393983.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	432.8 KB
ID:	41712

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:32 PM   #14

First let me say this. Thanks to all for trying to help. I'm very sorry to the OP for hijacking his post. I didn't intend to. Maybe I should start a new thread.

Now, let me say that everything worked like it should before I started reading this thread and decided to try throwing both of the switches that control the batteries. I thought "what the heck" so I figured out which way the switches had to be pushed. They are not marked as to off and on. So, once I figured that out I left them both in the off position. I stepped out of the coach and closed the door. The step if I remember right was in the closed position. I didn't check on the m/h for a few days until yesterday. I found that the batteries all seem to be dead. Nothing works with the exception of the flourescent light in the kitchen. And it comes on dimly. So, I hooked up a good battery charger and let it run on fast charge for about 15 minutes. It also has a 200 amp boost on it so I switched to that and the engine started. I continued charging the battery in the 12 volt fast charge setting. I thought maybe if I started the generator that would also help charge the house batteries. But it wouldn't even turn over. On my dash there is a switch for the generator to start it with. It rocks up and down. I assume that to start the generator you push down on the "on" marking. And to kill the generator you push the switch in on the top where the lightning bolt symbol is. I don't know anything about priming first. There is nothing in the manual about that. Today, I am going to bring all the batteries home and charge them in my shop. If anybody has any more input on this please do chime in. Once again, thanks for all the help.

Ray

Tags
steps, bounder