Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2020, 11:09 AM   #15

Fellow Fleetwood owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ront77 View Post
I have a 2004 Revolution 40c. As suggested check the breakers on the Inverter. There are 2 breakers on top of the inverter. Also. Look over the inverter for other switches/breakers.
Feel free to contact me with other questions as I have had the same model for 13+ years.
PS - Dead or weak house batteries cause lots of strange things. In my case the slides would work fine then not work, then work normally. New batteries cured the issue.
I would love to chat with you about the Fleetwood. Having owned one for so long, I’m sure you have insights that will save me time, stress and money!!
Tjkellough is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2020, 11:23 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjkellough View Post
That’s been my gut feeling. That the converter portion of my inverter/converter is bad. Everything works fine after starting the coach and charging batteries. But the batteries aren’t getting charged unless coach is running. I assume you have to have charged batteries even when hooked to shore power to use everything (who knew!!! Lesson learned). All house batteries are brand new now. Figured it would be best to start with new, hoping it would fix issue. Thought it had, but it just took longer to drain the new battery bank. So ..... my question is.....is there a way to check the converter?? Like a fuse or something?? (I’ve checked the breakers and switches). Or am I going to need to buy brand new inverter/converter? When I changed out the batteries, I hooked everything up exactly the way it was. But the two cables coming off my inverter/converter are hooked up backwards (red positive cable was hooked to negative battery post). But when I try to hook positive to positive, I get a light arc. Is this normal?
A light arc is normal when connecting an inverter/charger. Its the components charging up inside them.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 03:41 PM   #17

Quote:
That’s been my gut feeling. That the converter portion of my inverter/converter is bad. Everything works fine after starting the coach and charging batteries. But the batteries aren’t getting charged unless coach is running. I assume you have to have charged batteries even when hooked to shore power to use everything (who knew!!! Lesson learned). All house batteries are brand new now. Figured it would be best to start with new, hoping it would fix issue. Thought it had, but it just took longer to drain the new battery bank. So ..... my question is.....is there a way to check the converter?? Like a fuse or something?? (I’ve checked the breakers and switches). Or am I going to need to buy brand new inverter/converter? When I changed out the batteries, I hooked everything up exactly the way it was. But the two cables coming off my inverter/converter are hooked up backwards (red positive cable was hooked to negative battery post). But when I try to hook positive to positive, I get a light arc. Is this normal?

The best way to check charger provided everything is connected correctly is to just put a voltage meter on batteries. Since you say it was hooked up backwards go figure. This is the second MH in a month someone had trouble because hooked up backwards. You could either have a blown inverter/charger or hopefully just a blown fuse or tripped breaker.
Old 08-27-2020, 05:13 PM   #18

If you’re looking at replacing your inverter I found a company in Houston that rebuilds inverters. Xantrex recommends them.
They shipped me a rebuilt unit and I shipped my bad unit back to them. If needed I get the company info. And post it.
Ront77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:40 PM   #19

Oh and I forgot to mention, since the new batteries have been hooked up, the “DC Volts” lights on the Xantrax control panel no longer light up to measure the voltage. But all other lights are working. Is there a reset switch or something?
Old 08-28-2020, 12:13 AM   #20

Quote:
Oh and I forgot to mention, since the new batteries have been hooked up, the “DC Volts” lights on the Xantrax control panel no longer light up to measure the voltage. But all other lights are working. Is there a reset switch or something?
There should be a reset breaker on the inverter and is worth checking. I would definitely check your wiring to be sure that you are connected correctly. I had a problem with the retract cord reel on my coach. My cord real had bad contacts within the reel that would arc and it would lose power this caused my circuit breaker/reset to kick. Not saying this is your issue but if it kicks you will not get power from your inverter.

If your cables are properly connected and your breaker on your inverter is not tripped you should then make sure what your charge voltage coming into your batteries is without the coach engine running and your power cord plugged in. You should have somewhere around 13 plus volts. Another source would be to see if the manufacturer of your inverter has a trouble shooting guide online or if one came with your RV paperwork.

You did not mention if your RV operates correctly when running off your generator unless I missed that information in your post.
Old 08-28-2020, 12:34 AM   #21

This is a link to the owners manual. It may help you troubleshoot your inverter and at least determine if it is your problem or if you have another issue. Good luck.
http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Inv...-01_rev-2).pdf
Old 08-28-2020, 09:50 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piros1 View Post
There should be a reset breaker on the inverter and is worth checking. I would definitely check your wiring to be sure that you are connected correctly. I had a problem with the retract cord reel on my coach. My cord real had bad contacts within the reel that would arc and it would lose power this caused my circuit breaker/reset to kick. Not saying this is your issue but if it kicks you will not get power from your inverter.

If your cables are properly connected and your breaker on your inverter is not tripped you should then make sure what your charge voltage coming into your batteries is without the coach engine running and your power cord plugged in. You should have somewhere around 13 plus volts. Another source would be to see if the manufacturer of your inverter has a trouble shooting guide online or if one came with your RV paperwork.

You did not mention if your RV operates correctly when running off your generator unless I missed that information in your post.
Is there a reset breaker somewhere else besides on the inverter itself? I have a Xantrax Freedom 458 and the only breakers I see are two on the back and two push buttons. I’ve checked all visible fuses and breakers on inverter. Should I check fuses behind the battery compartment? I have the owners manual of inverter/charger. I’ve troubleshooted with the manual. But still not getting a charge to my batteries. I just measured voltage on batteries and it’s the same whether I’m connected to shore power or not. The only way I’m able to charge my batteries is by starting the coach. I’m basically needing to find a way to tell if my converter is bad. https://www.rvtravel.com/rv-batterie...o-shore-power/ This guy says to look for a blown fuse in the charge circuit if my voltage on batteries doesn’t change when plugged in to shore power.

Plus still can’t figure out why my “DC Volts” lights aren’t lighting up anymore since changing batteries.

Oh and I don’t know if it runs correctly with the generator. When we bought RV, genny wouldn’t run more than 2 minutes. So it’s in the shop getting a new temperature sensor plus a whole new generator portion (it threw some magnets ��). So we will have that back from the shop in about two weeks. Did I mention we got a deal on this motorhome? But with good deals come headaches.
Tjkellough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 10:44 AM   #23

Cables left off, connected incorrectly, or a blown 300 amp fuse, will all cause your inverter to not work.

With any of that, nothing will work, it won't charge batteries or make 120 volt power.
Old 08-28-2020, 11:22 AM   #24

There is a smaller than old style glass AG3 fuse on the first printed circuit board.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 11:59 PM   #25

Quote:
Is there a reset breaker somewhere else besides on the inverter itself? I have a Xantrax Freedom 458 and the only breakers I see are two on the back and two push buttons. I’ve checked all visible fuses and breakers on inverter. Should I check fuses behind the battery compartment? I have the owners manual of inverter/charger. I’ve troubleshooted with the manual. But still not getting a charge to my batteries. I just measured voltage on batteries and it’s the same whether I’m connected to shore power or not. The only way I’m able to charge my batteries is by starting the coach. I’m basically needing to find a way to tell if my converter is bad. https://www.rvtravel.com/rv-batterie...o-shore-power/ This guy says to look for a blown fuse in the charge circuit if my voltage on batteries doesn’t change when plugged in to shore power.

Plus still can’t figure out why my “DC Volts” lights aren’t lighting up anymore since changing batteries.

Oh and I don’t know if it runs correctly with the generator. When we bought RV, genny wouldn’t run more than 2 minutes. So it’s in the shop getting a new temperature sensor plus a whole new generator portion (it threw some magnets ��). So we will have that back from the shop in about two weeks. Did I mention we got a deal on this motorhome? But with good deals come headaches.
So as stated by Gary on the RV travel video and twinboat you need to check all connections to be sure they are not lose or corroded. There should be a primary fuse that the batteries are connected to and usually in the battery compartment. I really don’t think that fuse is blown but possible (depending on how your coach is wired). I’m saying this because when your engine is running the batteries being charged.

There could possibly be a battery disconnect that is open as well. This is usually in the battery compartment also.

The push button circuit breakers on your inverter are the resets I was referring to. Are the popped out and if so when you push them in fo they stay or pop back out?

Did you check to see if the breaker in your panel box possibly tripped during you diagnostics.

I would hate to see you go buy a new inverter unless you have thoroughly checked all of the above and run the troubleshooting guide in the owner’s manual first. You could give Xantrex a call and maybe they can help determine if your inverter is good or not. Sometimes it is best to go straight to the manufacture. Most of these companies have a hot line you can call during normal business hours and this contact info should be in the owner’s manual. Sorry I’m not able to give you a solid answer. Usually these Type of issues require a hands on to work through it.
Old 10-14-2020, 09:54 PM   #26

Entegra Owners Club
Question-
I am going to look at a 2008 Revolution 42 K
How long do the batteries last (life expectancy)
Dr. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 01:47 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Mike View Post
Question-
1 to 10 years.

Some can kill them quickly with use or abuse and some can baby them for years.

Like tires, figure on replacing them.
Old 10-15-2020, 04:58 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Mike View Post
Question-

My 2007 purchased new, chassis batteries went out last year and house batteries a few months ago.

Tags
electric, ems, problem, problems