Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2021, 11:13 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Electrical Migraine!

Here I go...
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 35E (diesel, not that it matters, I think...)

It started with the microwave not working during our last trip in the Northeast (Maine). So, we tested the microwave with an extension cord and it worked! Awesome. I posted a question on IRV2 and was told that I should test the breaker to make sure it is working. I did not know how to do that, so when I got home, I got a friend to walk me through it over the phone and the breaker was fine. ​

While testing the breakers, (he had me test them all while I was there) and my friend noticed that the two bottom breakers were tripped (these were labeled: INVERTER IN #1 (30AMP) and GEN PUR #1 (15AMP). He asked me to reset them and I did. They did not trip again, so I thought nothing of it.

The microwave outlet still does not work BUT NOW the house batteries are not charging from the post (our home 50amp post). We tested the post and it has power (even plugged in the surge protector and it checks out as well).

I have tried cutting both of the breakers off to see if the batteries charge and they do not. I have also tried turning one of and the other off and again, no progress. I am pulling out my hairs in frustration knowing I was the one that messed something up but I do not know what or how to fix it. :(

I have no clue what I am doing and while trying to fix one thing I might have messed something else.

When I turn the RV on, the batteries start to charge. The generator will not start because the batteries are too low. After the RV runs for a while, I can cut on the generator and everything seems to work (except for the microwave outlet).

Once I turn off the generator and the engine, the batteries start to drain even though we are connected to our home’s 50amp post.

NOTHING (AC or DC) is running even though we are plugged in to the post.

I looked (just looked) at the Surge protector ( Surge Guard model 40350RVC) and it has 2 red lights. When I googled, it said that that was “normal.”

I have no clue where to go from here. I am 99% sure that I am the one who is doing something wrong. Maybe need to run the generator until the batteries charge up enough?? I don’t know.

I am attaching a few photos that may help.

PLEASE, pretty PLEASE share your knowledge. Thank you in advance IRV2 family for sharing your wisdom and knowledge with us newbies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MGNMINVRTR02.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	346331   Click image for larger version

Name:	MagnumINVRTR01.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	346334  

Name:	MagnumINVRTR03.png
Views:	25
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	346335   Click image for larger version

Name:	PWCNTRL02.jpg
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	346336  

Name:	PWCNRL01.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	346337   Click image for larger version

Name:	PWCTRL07.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	656.6 KB
ID:	346338  

Name:	PWCTRL06.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	520.0 KB
ID:	346339   Click image for larger version

Name:	PWCTRL05.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	422.5 KB
ID:	346340  

Name:	PWCTRL04.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	566.3 KB
ID:	346341   Click image for larger version

Name:	PWCTRL03.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	514.5 KB
ID:	346342  

MiamiDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2021, 11:29 AM   #2

Out on the inverter , there are small breakers check them. Out in a compartment.

If tripped, reset them, then see if charging starts. If not, start the engine and let it run for 10 minutes while still on shorepower.

After 10 minutes things should start charging.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 02:15 PM   #3

Electrical Migraine!

Yours is newer than mine but mine will not start to charge dead batteries. I have to hook up a regular charger to give them a little juice so built in will start to charge. As for microwave maybe you have the inverter on and since batteries are dead it doesn’t work or the gfi it’s on is tripped or breaker on inverter/charger has tripped. If your house batteries are dead it could take a few hours to built them up to a float charge.
Old 10-18-2021, 10:08 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Out on the inverter , there are small breakers check them. Out in a compartment.

If tripped, reset them, then see if charging starts. If not, start the engine and let it run for 10 minutes while still on shorepower.

After 10 minutes things should start charging.

Thank you for the guidance! I did start the engine and let it run for about 20 minutes. I turned off all the circuit breakers and turned them on again. Tripped/reset both GFIs (bathroom and entry (the entry one is the closest to the kitchen).

I am Relieved to say that it is charging and taking power form the 50amp pedestal!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!

I am beyond glad that it is working. I am upset that I do not know where I messed up and I do not want to mess up again. I will be more detailed when we arrive at home next time. Thanks again for the guidance. Have a great day!
Old 10-18-2021, 10:15 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
[QUOTE=twinboat;5952943]Out on the inverter , there are small breakers check them. Out in a compartment.

BTW, I did not see any breakers in this area. I am attaching 2 pics. Maybe I am missing something...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SurgeGuardCompartment1.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	383.6 KB
ID:	346424   Click image for larger version

Name:	SurgeGuardCompartment2.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	322.7 KB
ID:	346425  

Old 10-18-2021, 01:36 PM   #6

That's the battery control center, not the inverter. You should have a couple reset fuses on the inverter. My fuses are hard to see, they are on the backside depending how it's installed.
Old 10-20-2021, 11:14 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not sure about your model but on my coach the inverter is in the last compartment on the right (passenger) side.
paddler1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 11:13 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayward3411 View Post
That's the battery control center, not the inverter. You should have a couple reset fuses on the inverter. My fuses are hard to see, they are on the backside depending how it's installed.

Update...

I thought it was charging but it is not I left it plugged in overnight and the batteries did not charge (pics attached) the refrigerator should have been cold by morning (residential) and it is not.

I do not know what else to do. I do not see a breaker on the inverter box compartment. My inverter is where @paddler1954 couch is. Here is a pic.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Inverter compartment.jpg
Size:	274.2 KB
ID:	346728   Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery 10.9V.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	246.8 KB
ID:	346729  

Name:	Battery 0.jpg
Size:	268.5 KB
ID:	346730  
Old 10-21-2021, 11:27 AM   #9

The circuit breaker is the push button ( red circle ) on the side ; I have had to replace these for a failure .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Inverter magmum ms2000.jpg
Size:	219.9 KB
ID:	346731  
Old 10-21-2021, 11:35 AM   #10

Inside the inverter , there are relays and a control board.

When 120 volt power is supplied to the inverter , the control board should activate the relays to send power through to the outlets and switch from inverting to charging . I'll re-read your posts ; but at the moment , I'm thinking the internal operation of the inverter needs to be checked out.

Second thought ; do you see a huge fuse holder ; like either of these pictured ; in the positive cable from the battery bank to the inverter . That fuse needs to be tested.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ALN fuse holder.jpg
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	346733   Click image for larger version

Name:	Class T Fuse holder.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	346734  

Old 10-21-2021, 11:43 AM   #11
YC1

Time for a voltmeter.

The inverter/charger needs 110 volts at the input to charge the batteries.

There is an access panel on the side of the inverter where you can take measurements.

Or, use the DC part of the voltmeter and simply put it across the large battery cables coming out of the end. If it is attempting to charge the batteries but the path is open do to a blown fuse, bad switch, or loose connection you should still see 13.5 or more at those cables right on the inverter.

If you do NOT see a voltage at that level or higher, be sure to snap a picture of the face of the inverter and post that. There may be some indication of what is wrong.

In some cases it can take a hard reset to get the thing to wake up. That is, disconnecting the batteries and all shoreline power. Often this can be done with built in battery switches or simply removing the battery negative cables after taking pictures of course.

Expect a spark when reconnecting so be sure you have ventilated the battery area.

If you are not comfortable with a meter, find a friend to show you how to use one. You really need to know how to use one with a complex RV.

Chasing the Microwave issue may or may not be related. Since the Inverter usually supplies the power to the microwave when shoreline is not connected it could be running the batteries down trying to run it, even if just sitting there over time.

Looking at the picture of your inverter there could be a fuse or relay panel nearby power to it.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 11:46 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddler1954 View Post
Not sure about your model but on my coach the inverter is in the last compartment on the right (passenger) side.
Ours is in the same compartment. Do you have breakers in that compartment because I do not see any in ours. I attached a picture to my update (on a reply to hayward3411)
Thank you for the guidance.
Old 10-21-2021, 12:35 PM   #13
US1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiDreamer View Post
Ours is in the same compartment. Do you have breakers in that compartment because I do not see any in ours. :
Post#9
Old 10-23-2021, 03:35 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Final Update, I hope...

It is working :fingersCrossed:

The "Charging" circuit breaker tripped but it was so close to the 'On' position that I could not tell. When I reset it, they started charging. I bought a SurgeGuard about 6 months ago and I need to use it at home as well. The area where we live has way too many brownouts and perhaps that is what triggered it.

I cannot THANK all of you enough!! I am so very grateful that you are there helping a totally lost person like me!!!! THANK YOU!

Does anyone know of a good course to take so that I can be better at this? It needs to be online because I have some medical challenges that make it challenging to sit in a classroom all day.

Thanks again for your kindness, patience and guidance. I am ever so grateful.

Tags
electric, electrical