Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2021, 06:41 AM   #1

Electrical outlets not working

Hello everyone. I have a 1996 Fleetwood Bounder. My first experience with rvís was when my little one and I moved into this one last July. Iím learning a lot of new things as I go. So, hereís what I need help with please. The electrical outlets for the back half have suddenly stopped working. The lights work, except the ceiling lights in the little pantry area and bedroom. The lights above the bed work, just not the ones on the ceiling. What can I try? Iíve replaced all of the fuses in the fuse box located in the living room. Also, I tried ďtestĒ and ďresetĒ buttons on the outlet in the bathroom. Like I said, Iím learning as I go.
Thank you for reading. I appreciate your time and any suggestions.
2Cindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2021, 07:09 AM   #2

I'm making the assumption you're on shore power, (because you tested the bath outlet GFIC's)
Ceiling lights run on 12v so if one or two have stopped working they may be blown out (As you have checked the fuses.)
Outlets run on 110-120v and are controlled by breakers (similar to a house) they are usually located behind a decorative panel near the floor and close to the inverter (the panel may not have a knob or handle on it, but will look like part of the cabinetry. Or, it may be a metal panel too.)
Once you pull the panel the breakers will be revealed and just like house breakers you can tell if one is tripped (off).
BTW: There are often automotive type fuses located on the breaker panel board as well... check those).
bobphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 07:10 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Would suggest you check your breakers for the outlets. Somewhere in your coach there should be a panel with your main breaker and several circuit breakers. Start there, reset the breakers by flipping them to the off position firmly and then turning them back on. You may be able to tell which one is the problem by looking at it, it may look like it is more in the middle instead of all the way in the on position. As for the lights, did they go out at the same time as the outlets quit working or are you just listing all the things wrong? Your coach has two separate electrical systems, 120 volt and 12 volt. Most or all the lights work off the 12 volt so whether you are plugged in or not you have light. So, the receptacles work off the 120 volt cord you plug in and the lights work off the house battery for the coach. This is a simple explanation and doesnít address inverters but gives you a place to start looking.
Old 06-18-2021, 07:19 AM   #4

Bobphoenix - Hello and thank you so much! You’ve helped me tremendously! The photo you sent, I have found that and checked it all. Those are the fuses that I replaced. I didn’t know there were more! I’ve looked but can’t find anymore. However, I don’t really know where all I should be looking. I appreciate your help.
Old 06-18-2021, 07:26 AM   #5

Hankins - thank for your help! The lights went out previously. I changed the bulbs and that didn’t work so then I flipped the all the breakers off and then back on. Well, that didn’t work either and that is when the outlets stopped working. I don’t know what I did wrong …
Old 06-18-2021, 07:44 AM   #6

Look for other breakers on the side of your inverter/converter if you have one. These would be for 120vac.

Also, near the door should be what most of us call salesman switches. These turn off most of the connections to the batteries. These are for 12vdc. These should only be off for long term storage when RV is not on shore power.
mrboyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 07:50 AM   #7

When I have experienced several 120volt outlets not working, it has always been a reset on a GFCI to get them back on. Now, if resetting your GFCI's is not getting those outlets back on, you MIGHT have a bad GFCI. Have an electrician check it out for you!
armullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 08:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Cindy View Post
Hankins - thank for your help! The lights went out previously. I changed the bulbs and that didnít work so then I flipped the all the breakers off and then back on. Well, that didnít work either and that is when the outlets stopped working. I donít know what I did wrong Ö
Re-do flipping the breakers. Possibly, one of them did not get fully reset when you flipped them before.

The light problem is different.
It could be:
Defective fuse
Defective fuse holder
Defective light switch
Loose connector somewhere in the circuit
The first light in the lighting daisy chain may have a loose connection or defective switch.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 07:16 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
It sounds like you have two things going on and you need to identify which is more important to you and work on that one. Earlier I mentioned an inverter- that is where I would check next for the outlets. If you have any books on your RV there may be something on the inverter. They are usually tucked away so if you donít look for it you may not even know you have one. It takes 12 volt power from your batteries and changes it to 120 volt power. Usually inverters are set up to only power a few outlets when you arenít plugged into shore power. The ones I have used have breakers built into them that trip when the circuit they are on are overloaded. My next step would be to check the breaker(s) on the inverter itself. We will need to know a little more about the lighting problem- are the lights that are out turned on and off from the same switch or different switches?
Old 06-21-2021, 06:58 AM   #10

GFI

When I first bought my 2000 american eagle none of the 110 volt outlets worked on the right side of the coach,turns out someone had replaced the GFI at the sink on the right rear of the coach and wired it wrong ,the GFI outlet worked but was not sending current along to anything else on the circuit, I'm not sure but a defective GFI may cause the same problem, just a though.

2000 American Eagle
sledhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 09:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Hello everyone. I have a 1996 Fleetwood Bounder. My first experience with rvís was when my little one and I moved into this one last July. Iím learning a lot of new things as I go. So, hereís what I need help with please. The electrical outlets for the back half have suddenly stopped working. The lights work, except the ceiling lights in the little pantry area and bedroom. The lights above the bed work, just not the ones on the ceiling. What can I try? Iíve replaced all of the fuses in the fuse box located in the living room. Also, I tried ďtestĒ and ďresetĒ buttons on the outlet in the bathroom. Like I said, Iím learning as I go.

Based on what I know on my 94 37j there is a fuse on the inverter located in a small door in the compartment areas near the door that is somewhere.

There is a fuse panel and some blocks near the back just before the bathroom to the right, up in the cabinet,

There is another fuse panel under the dashboard that is under the cluster and lifts like a car hood.

There is also another under the front hood, requires to disconnect battery before opening,

If that all doesnt work try starting your generator and test them.

And if that DOES NOT WORK! shut off the power on the main and aux panel.

Pull the plugs out inspect where the wires. Meet at the plug if they are ashy or green hit it with a wire brush.

Then reconnect

I had this issue with 2 of my fans had to scrub the piss out the switch contact, happy camping there is my 30 cents.
bounder90s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 09:41 PM   #12

Quote:

Also check your roof if those suckers are corroded when you pull check them your roof leaks to hell!
bounder90s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical