Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2020, 10:47 PM   #1

Electrical Problem

Went to visit my coach today (19 Discovery 38N) it had been awhile since we have seen each other. House batteries good ( I assume from solar charger) but coach batteries dead. Started Generator and let her run for awhile until I had good coach power and tried staring the engine - engine didn’t start but everything else shutdown, including the generator. I believe I have blown a fuse some where, I just don’t know where. I checked the Gen, outside drivers bay, inside panel by the bunks. Anyone have an idea where I should look, or what I did? Thanks in advance.

Steve
Scuba00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2020, 11:18 PM   #2

I'm not commenting on your current crisis ( no pun intended )

but when you get it resolved, a 40-amp NTE5986 diode, it's cathode-case mounted on a piece of copper or aluminium, with the other end of the strip mounted on the positive battery terminal of the starter battery,

and a 30-amp inline fused wire coming from the 12+ 'house battery' terminal of your momentary/dual solenoid, one end with a ring crimp connector for the solenoid terminal, the other with an insulated spade female shoved over the anode terminal of the diode, will keep your starter battery topped-up from your house system, with a 0.7v drop. With no drainback to your house system.
d.mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 01:12 PM   #3

picture

see below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200504_140559_8.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	284115  
Old 05-04-2020, 03:55 PM   #4

You should conquer and divide. First start with coach starting batteries. How old are they? Whats your DVM show for voltage on each battery? Check water levels. check battery cables and connections. Use an external charger on the starting batteries over night.

Once you have good 12-13 vdc on engine batteries, does the engine start?

On our coach, there are large fuses/circuit breakers one for the starting batteries and one for the house batteries. Do you have drawings showing battery connections?

See my coach drawing. Keep us posted.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery drawing.PNG
Views:	64
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	284165
Old 05-05-2020, 10:51 PM   #5

Updated - Resolved

Thank you both for the response and advice, I returned to the coach, checked the high amp battery fuses and a few of the regular ones. Got in the coach and checked battery levels, chase showed low 8 on the dash, hit the house battery switch over button, and she fired up. Not sure what caused the shutdown the other day (might have been a slight overload that caused a auto fuse somewhere to trip) let the engine run on high idle for a bit, and then started the generator. Drove for a little and let the gen run under-load for awhile and everything looks and is working normal.

D.Mark thanks for the info, looks a little out of my comfort zone, was actually thinking of adding an additional solar panel for the chases batteries.

Steve
Scuba00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 03:10 AM   #6

Ok Steve good deal. Before my chassis (starting batteries) died on me, I started noticing while cranking the engine, the dash volt meter would drop to 8 volts DC but the engine would start. Then while at a fuel stop I had to start the genset to get enough power via the charger/inverter to get the chassis batteries up enough to kick the engine over. As soon as I got to our destination, I replaced the two chassis batteries. Now when I crank the engine, the DC volt meter on the dash stays at 12 volts or a bit more.

There is a small solar panel mounted on top of the front A/C unit. This solar panel is connected to the chassis batteries. But at the end of the day the batteries just wore out.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:03 PM   #7

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba00 View Post
Was actually thinking of adding an additional solar panel for the chases batteries.

I thought about that too. But there are HUGE solar panels on the roof, and an existing charging system. And the house battery 12+ goes right up to the 'emergency start solenoid' depicted in the diagram from KF5UMC.

You need:
1 out of 5 of these, 5-count of inline fuse holders:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Pack-12-G...A/122607199658

and 1 of these:
https://www.frys.com/product/1980774

You're in about $10.

A ring crimp terminal for one end:
https://www.amazon.com/12-10-High-Te.../dp/B00NVD4F4U

and a female spade connector crimp for the other end:
https://www.amazon.com/XHF2018-Fully.../dp/B07FQ87PQQ

A flat piece of metal, that has two holes: one for the post on the starter battery, one for the hole for the diode mount/cathode terminal. It acts as a mounting point and heatsink for the diode.

Hook it up like in the photo: put your ring crimp -> fuse -> female spade crimp connector together. Put the ring on the solenoid 12v+ house battery terminal (opposite side of the chassis battery wire). Let the other end, the female spade, hang for now.

Bolt the diode on the piece of metal. It comes with a washer and nut. Bolt the metal on the starter 12v+ battery post.

Finally, push the female spade connector over the anode (top) of the diode. Then install a 30-amp spade fuse to make the circuit 'live'.

Done.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:16 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
d.mark,
Not to hijack the thread but thanks for putting that diode info out there. I cut and pasted all of it into a Word doc for future use.
Old 05-06-2020, 08:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyG View Post
d.mark,
Not to hijack the thread but thanks for putting that diode info out there. I cut and pasted all of it into a Word doc for future use.
I'll try to take another photo when the sun is cooperating and draw the circuit path on top.

prevention is the best medicine.

Tags
problem