RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2019, 11:01 AM   #1

Emergency flasher question

Emergency flasher question.. when I have emergency flashers on and hit the brakes the emergency flashers stop flashing.. Release brakes and flashing resumes..what do yours do?? 03 Fleetwood Discovery... This is a problem when Iím backing off my country road at night . I want my flashers to continue flashing when I brake . My former motorhome , my Tahoe and Hummer all have operating flashers when brakes are applied.

SECONDARY QUESTION: where in the system does the conversion to a 4 wire trailer light system occur. The coach has red tail, red brake and separate amber turn signal / flasher (turn signal and flasher are 1156 bulbs)
xzostd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2019, 11:27 AM   #2

you know, I don't know if my 2006 Discovery emergency flashers are like yours or not. I never noticed. Do the little flashing indicators on the dash stop blinking?

On some coaches, there is a converter box about the size of a cigarette pack up behind the trailer plug. Some say it is right behind the rear cap, other say it is just duct tapped to the wire bundle.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:36 AM   #3

My revolution stops blinking when brakes are applied.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
you know, I don't know if my 2006 Discovery emergency flashers are like yours or not. I never noticed. Do the little flashing indicators on the dash stop blinking?

On some coaches, there is a converter box about the size of a cigarette pack up behind the trailer plug. Some say it is right behind the rear cap, other say it is just duct tapped to the wire bundle.
On mine when I push brake pedal flashers stop including dash indicators.. Iíll slide underneath and take a look for converter box
Old 06-12-2019, 12:43 PM   #5

Sorry but had to chime in when reading this. Is your chassis a P30/32 or a Workhorse? On certain model year GM's this same thing happens.

Have an 2000 S10 and it does it as well, both exterior signal lights and dash indicators stay on when brake is applied. I'll have to check my 93' MH but I won't be surprised if it does it as well.
MinntoMich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 03:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinntoMich View Post
Sorry but had to chime in when reading this. Is your chassis a P30/32 or a Workhorse? On certain model year GM's this same thing happens.

Have an 2000 S10 and it does it as well, both exterior signal lights and dash indicators stay on when brake is applied. I'll have to check my 93' MH but I won't be surprised if it does it as well.
Mine is a Freightliner chassis.. I have amber blinkers which are independent of the tail/ brake bulbs . Also have different flasher for the blinkers and flashers. And ďall chime insĒ are good! You never know where an answer or idea may come from
Old 06-12-2019, 04:35 PM   #7

My 06 FL chassis Discovery has same flasher function as yours. I thought the relay was failing until I figured out that it was only happening when the brakes are applied.

This moho is new to me and I have yet to determine if the hazard flashers flash the brake lights or the turn signals? If it's the brake lights than I guess this seems maybe normal operation as designed, but I would prefer the hazards flash the turn signals and the brake lights function normally.

-E
Old 06-13-2019, 07:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEvi View Post
My 06 FL chassis Discovery has same flasher function as yours. I thought the relay was failing until I figured out that it was only happening when the brakes are applied.

This moho is new to me and I have yet to determine if the hazard flashers flash the brake lights or the turn signals? If it's the brake lights than I guess this seems maybe normal operation as designed, but I would prefer the hazards flash the turn signals and the brake lights function normally.

-E
Iím digging deep into this trying to get it to work as I want it to work.. My next step is to find the converter box that converts to the four wire style trailer hookup. Iím assuming that that wiring was installed by Fleetwood. If I need to install my own independent flasher system , I will !
Iíve owned my unit for two weeks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8CCEF8E0-8B10-433E-BBDA-EBF23BCFB85F.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	542.4 KB
ID:	249706  
Old 06-13-2019, 08:05 AM   #9

If you were following a vehicle with 4-way flashers operating, wouldn't you want to know when that vehilce braked? Isn't that the reason why 4-way stop when brakes are applied?
WantAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 08:24 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantAB View Post
If you were following a vehicle with 4-way flashers operating, wouldn't you want to know when that vehilce braked? Isn't that the reason why 4-way stop when brakes are applied?
On my unit the 4 ways and turn signals are amber . My brake lights are red . I want the ambers to continue flashing when the red brake lights come on. My Tahoe also has amber 4 ways that DO stay flashing when red brake lights come on.
I believe it may be a wiring issue . Still a big maybe! It has two separate flashers which tells me the turn signal system should be isolated from turn signals. (Maybe)
Old 06-13-2019, 11:33 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
In most states it's actually illegal to drive with your emergency flashers on, they should only be on for a totally stopped vehicle. It's common in Florida for people to put on their flashers in heavy rain, the state has been running a campaign on the highway digital displays saying in heavy rain drive with lights on flashers off. Driving with them on is actually a $129 fine, interesting article from the Miami Herald Here
ehunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 11:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEvi View Post

-E
Eric, you have the same chassis I have in my 2006 Discovery. If you look in the compartment just aft of the passenger rear tires you will see two "black boxes". Inside one of them are fuses and relays that supply the trailer plug.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote