Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2012, 05:54 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
EMS - how to check it's working properly?

Looking at a 2002 Pace Arrow 37A to buy with EMS (Energy Management System) - how do I check that it is working properly?
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2012, 06:01 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Probably the easiest way is to plug the coach into either a 30a or 20a receptacle. Turn on the propane, put the fridge on auto (since you're plugged in, it will start off on electric) & then start adding loads until you go just over your amp rating. If the EMS is working properly, it will automatically switch the fridge to propane to keep your amps under your max.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:23 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

And if it is NOT working correctly you will trip the breaker on the power pole when you exceed 30 amps.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:51 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks!

And as for the air conditioners - when running on the genny both a/c units should blow cold (compressors running) and when on AC ground power only one should blow cold (just fan funning) at a time - correct? And then it should cycle back and forth between the front and rear a/c units - correct?
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 04:44 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz
Thanks!

And as for the air conditioners - when running on the genny both a/c units should blow cold (compressors running) and when on AC ground power only one should blow cold (just fan funning) at a time - correct? And then it should cycle back and forth between the front and rear a/c units - correct?
Do you have 30 or 50 amp shore power? I have 50 amp and can run both on gen or shore power. I've not heard of front and back that cycle as you said.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:34 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz
Thanks!

If you have a 30amp coach and a 5500w genny, the genny feeds the rear AC 20amps on a dedicated circuit. The rest of the coach gets a full 30amps. The 2 ACs cycle only via the thermostats depending how you have the temps set for Zone 1 and 2.

On shore, you only have 30amps total. You should be able to run both ACs, but not much else. At least I can with my 30amp EMS.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:34 AM   #7

Your EMS system will shut off power to certain parts of the coach "shed power" in the order that they are listed on the EMS panel. Mine starts with the electric water heater and continues down then list of air, refrigerator etc. If you have good park power or are on the generator it should work very well. Sometimes the park power is weak and you will trip the breaker anyway. I can run both airs on 30 amps.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:47 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One test that I have used, based on my 2002 SW configuration is to plug into 30 amp power, turn both AC on, note that both compressors are running, then turn the microwave on. In our case the rear AC compressor will stop, with fan still running. The microwave is considered a preferred power consumer over the rear AC. I believe there is one more preferred power consumer, but don't remember what it is.... also don't have manuals handy.

Once the microwave has stopped, a few minutes later the rear AC will start up.

The EMS control panel (ours) has two green lights at the bottom beneath the front and rear AC temp controls. If these are solid green the AC is in automatic mode. If the green lights are blinking the AC compressor is in standby mode, ie shut off due to preferred power or in delay to keep from cycling the compressor too often.

The 2002 Pace Arrow should be the same as our 2002 Southwind.
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote