RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2020, 06:51 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Encounter No DC power - batteries are fine

Hello. Trying to get some help on an odd issue. I have a 2010 Fleetwood Encounter and recently added solar and an auto converter/inverter (aims 2500). Everything was working fine and then went out to the camper and basically anything that runs on DC doesn't work. Even when using shore power (or inverter), I have no lights, no fans, furnace, fridge etc. Anything that is strictly AC runs fine. I don't hear that "click" when I switch on the AUX battery switch to on and it doesn't light up. Could it be a bad solenoid? I also added a Victron Battery monitor and that reads 100% charge and the batteries are new as well. Any ideas?
mscottcody is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2020, 07:42 PM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.

The solenoid is one suspect , the can be easily by-passed .
The other, is and inline fuse or 12 volt circuit breaker , with 3' of the coach battery positive terminal .Mine is behind the battery box mounted to the frame .
WHY manufacturers choose to hide these items that need testing and possible replacement , is way beyond me .
Start where you have power and start following that cable with your voltmeter in hand, and keep testing .
Old 10-29-2020, 01:59 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
thank you!

I was able to bypass the solenoid and everything came on. I really appreciate your help. just need to track down that part number. I have Fleetwood working on it so hopefully they will find it
Old 10-29-2020, 02:23 PM   #4

Do you have the brand name ?

Does it look like the one in this file?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf -Battery-Isolation-Manager-RevF.pdf (81.1 KB, 5 views)
Old 10-29-2020, 03:39 PM   #5

I hope you jumped the solenoid that looks like the one in my picture. Its a latching type battery disconnect.

If you jumped one like shown in the post before me, your now just running on your chassis battery, and that's not a fix.Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture%2B_2020-10-29-16-38-37.jpeg
Views:	8
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	306389
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 08:03 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
part description

Fleetwood sent me all the wiring schematics for the Encounter, which was great. The part description I jumped in their schematic was called a "Continuous Duty Solenoid". I attached the schematic here. Does anyone know, as a temporary fix until I can track down that part, if its okay to leave the jumper cable I bypassed the Solenoid hooked up so we have lights and power?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Generator_Remote_Wiring.pdf (63.6 KB, 4 views)
Old 10-30-2020, 08:14 AM   #7

You jumped the isolation solenoid. Its for charging the house battery from the chassis battery.

It doesn't control power to your lights except with a path to the chassis battery.

I marked, in red, the path from your house ( aux ) battery to the battery disconnect solenoid.
Somewhere along that cable, near the battery will be a circuit breaker. That may be tripped, or your house battery cables are bad, or the batteries are dead.Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture%2B_2020-10-30-09-09-12.jpeg
Views:	7
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	306442
Old 10-30-2020, 08:29 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
reply to Twinboat

Thanks for that. The batteries are brand new as are all the cables and read full charge on a multimeter. If I understand your comment properly - are you saying when I jumped that - basically the lights then are being powered by the chassis battery and I need to find the issue that is causing the issue with the house batteries not working? I found a little circuit breaker near by but that didn't seem to be tripped. I'm no expert on this, obviously, so your help is appreciated.
Old 10-30-2020, 08:36 AM   #9

Yes, the contionues duty solenoid is the isolation/charge solenoid.

You may want to double check the ground cables on your house battery. If the one to the chassis was left off, while installing the shunt, it will mess up your 12 volt components.
Old 10-30-2020, 08:51 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Genius

You're a genius. Thank you so much. It was the circuit breaker, as when I jumped that, it all came on. Easy fix! Much Appreciated!

Tags
batteries, power