Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2015, 04:34 PM   #57

So here's the latest and it's none of the above. While poking around today and checking voltage at various parts of the system, the coach batteries were reading 12.9 volts. The engine battery read 12.4. I checked the 9100 charger converter at the output connections and it did indeed read 12.9 volts. Not what I want for a charger in float mode. I have an extra Iota DLS 45 charger/converter that i have installed on a number of boats, including our own. This is an excellent smart charger and it can run the 12 volt system even if no batteries are connected. Once the Iota was connected and plugged in, the voltage on the coach batteries immediately went to 14.4 volts and the engine battery was reading 12.95 volts, much higher than I have ever seen it. So things have improved. I plan to check everything tomorrow and see just how much both batteries have charged overnight. We'll see. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2015, 05:08 AM   #58

The 24213 solenoid fit behind the circuit board in the BCC. Had to bend the top bus bar a little to align the hole with the post on the solenoid but other than that no fitment issues. The job did require removal of more pieces than I expected, but it's done. Testing of the old one confirmed that the solenoid was very intermittent working about 40% of the time. No wonder this problem is so difficult to track down, and be sure of your diagnosis. The new solenoid is well worth the piece of mind of knowing that the charging circuity is working the way it is supposed to. Hopefully they'll be no more surprises of uncharged batteries screwing up my day.
EasyPace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:42 AM   #59

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbear View Post
So here's the latest and it's none of the above. While poking around today and checking voltage at various parts of the system, the coach batteries were reading 12.9 volts. The engine battery read 12.4. I checked the 9100 charger converter at the output connections and it did indeed read 12.9 volts. Not what I want for a charger in float mode. I have an extra Iota DLS 45 charger/converter that i have installed on a number of boats, including our own. This is an excellent smart charger and it can run the 12 volt system even if no batteries are connected. Once the Iota was connected and plugged in, the voltage on the coach batteries immediately went to 14.4 volts and the engine battery was reading 12.95 volts, much higher than I have ever seen it. So things have improved. I plan to check everything tomorrow and see just how much both batteries have charged overnight. We'll see. Chuck
I looked this charger up, Chuck and found that it is a 120VAC input. For us on the road all the time it is not a good option. But for folks with a constant AC source it is a good choice. The 4 stage model is even better.

Another thing to consider is AGM batteries. It looks like it is not qualified for handling them. AGM's are great and long lasting when charged correctly. That charger is only good for flooded cells which is most of the rigs out there.

The good news for you is that you now have your batteries being charged correctly.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 08-14-2015, 08:49 AM   #60

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyPace View Post
The 24213 solenoid fit behind the circuit board in the BCC. Had to bend the top bus bar a little to align the hole with the post on the solenoid but other than that no fitment issues. The job did require removal of more pieces than I expected, but it's done. Testing of the old one confirmed that the solenoid was very intermittent working about 40% of the time. No wonder this problem is so difficult to track down, and be sure of your diagnosis. The new solenoid is well worth the piece of mind of knowing that the charging circuity is working the way it is supposed to. Hopefully they'll be no more surprises of uncharged batteries screwing up my day.
Good job. Well done. Yup. Happy camping does not include dead batteries. When they show up it is worse than a rainy day. They won't clear up and go away.

Happy, well charged, trails,
Rick Y
Old 08-14-2015, 08:52 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
I looked this charger up, Chuck and found that it is a 120VAC input. For us on the road all the time it is not a good option.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Could you expand on that statement.
What voltage charger should we use?
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:35 AM   #62

Rick. The original charger/inverter was also 120 volts, as most are. Unless you have a 240 volt rig, I see no difference in using this unit. Iota does make the same charger/inverter for 240 volt as well as for 24 and 48 volt systems. If you don't have 120 or 240 volts, then nothing is needed. So I'm sure sure what you mean by not being a good option if your on the road, since most will be using a generator or plug in to a 120 volt source. While driving, the alternator is still the sole charging source. Of course if your using strictly solar, that's a whole different discussion. True, this is set for wet cell batteries, which is what we have. It will charge AGM's nicely but they should not be left on the charger for extended periods of time. Although my past experience has been in the marine environment, this is from Iota's website,

"Recreational Vehicles

The IOTA DLS Series continues to be a trusted name for RV power applications. The DLS battery charger was designed with the RV user in mind...providing clean output for the operation of DC equipment, virtually silent fan operation, and the built-in protection features that guard the unit against low transient AC voltage from pedestal supplies. Additionally, features such as the IQ4 smart-charging option allows the DLS to maintain batteries while the RV is not in use." Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 08:13 AM   #63

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Could you expand on that statement.
What voltage charger should we use?
Getting old is not for wimps. That statement of mine came from a deep dark place I try to avoid but pass through from time to time. It is the hall of stupid. Consider that I not only missed the boat here but I stepped off the pear and into the drink! Sorry.

Rick Y

Tags
battery, charging, engine