Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2021, 04:05 PM   #1

Engine cuts out while driving

I just purchased a used pace arrow motorhome and there is a problem that the engine cuts off while driving. Putting the shift lever in neutral and restarting the engine and everything is good for a while then it does it again. Any idea what could cause this?
Greg Ragland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2021, 04:14 PM   #2

we need more info.. make md yr of chassis and eng size to help.. good luck there are many that will help here.. you are on the right form so please get back to us..
donr103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 08:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by donr103 View Post
we need more info.. make md yr of chassis and eng size to help.. good luck there are many that will help here.. you are on the right form so please get back to us..
The motorhome is a 1999 Pace Arrow with a V10 engine.
Old 06-02-2021, 08:48 PM   #4

engine cuts out while driving

This is a 1999 Pace Arrow. The engine is a V10. I haven't checked anything yet because I did not know where to start. When the engine cuts out it is like a complete electrical loss. When the engine is restarted everything is normal.
Old 06-02-2021, 09:48 PM   #5

I had a similar problem but with mine, the speedometer stopped working before I lost power. It was the speed sensor. Replaced it and the problem went away.
lnicols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 10:05 PM   #6

engine cuts out while driving

Thanks, where would i find the speed sensor in the unit. Also the motor shuts down while in park.
Old 06-02-2021, 10:22 PM   #7

This is a 22 year old coach and electrical issues with a coach this age are common. I would start by checking the chassis grounds. Take them off and remove all rust down to shiny metal and reinstall. Use some dielectric grease to help reduce future corrosion. I don't know for sure if this is your problem but on older vehicles it is the cause of many, many electrical issues.
Other than that it's probably an intermittent wiring issue which are difficult to find. One technique is to get the coach running and then shake wiring looms to see if you can recreate the problem. It's a long slow process. I would also look for any old repairs that used crimp connectors and replace them as they tend to be problematic after a while. Good luck.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 08:00 AM   #8

Could be any number of issues... are you sure it's electrical?
- Check all connections from engine battery to alternator to ground
- Condition of alternator and engine battery. Battery cables can oxidize internally, you may need to cut into the insulation near the ends to check
- Fuel pump and filter
- Fuel pump relay including connections at relay and control circuit for relay
- Check air filter to not be clogged
- Cam sensor, Crank sensor, Throttle position sensor and all related connections
- Wire harness could have a connectivity issue - inspect the bends and hot spots
415cid V10 gasser / 6speed / Dana S130 with 5:38's
Towing 2016 Wrangler 4 door
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 10:26 AM   #9

I'd check fuel pump for sure! We had similar on brand new Southwind in 2003 and after being told we put dirty fuel in (we hadn't) and dirty fuel filters (they wouldn't show us where towed to), and it still happening time and again especially in hot weather, so we limped everywhere over night for 4 hours here and there.

Regular Ford Garage in Milk River said I bet it's your fuel pump. Got it replaced under warranty at our request and never a problem after.

Was sure nice to not have to be running dash heat in 85+ Deg weather after months and months of no one resolving it till then. Ruined all our road warrior vacations back then with tow after tow, and they didn't check that ever until we told them too!
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 04:25 PM   #10

Plug in a scan reader and check for codes. Record and clear old codes and when it acts up, recheck for codes. The new codes will give you a good starting point.
415cid V10 gasser / 6speed / Dana S130 with 5:38's
Towing 2016 Wrangler 4 door
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 01:09 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
I know this sounds stupid, but if you’re SUPER lucky try using ONLY the ignition key in tumbler. Take the rest f the keys off. Believe it or not, this solved the same problem for me once. Good luck.
cousin_eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 03:02 PM   #12

My 1994 bounder, Ford F53, 460, cut out a few times while it was driving also. Batteries hi were old. I Replaced the batteries and it cleared up several little electrical issues. Including the engine cutting out when driving. You might Check your batteries, make sure they’re in good shape and not too old. I hope you can figure it out. I remember stepping on the gas to get on an on-ramp, and it cut out on me. It was not a very comfortable feeling.
Paule_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 08:22 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Ragland View Post
This is a 1999 Pace Arrow. The engine is a V10. I haven't checked anything yet because I did not know where to start. When the engine cuts out it is like a complete electrical loss. When the engine is restarted everything is normal.
You said its like a complete electrical loss, but by any chance is it more like the engine just suddenly struggles with half power? My 2000 Bounder with the Triton V10 did that after I had installed a 3rd party thermostat that was a few degrees hotter than the OEM spec and then encountered a long upgrade on a warm day. I later learned that this is a safety feature of these engines, cutting power to half the spark plugs to prevent major engine damage when overheating. Putting a new Motorcraft OEM thermostat back in cured the problem for good.
tedwhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 08:32 PM   #14
Cat

Key Switch is bad.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine