RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2011, 02:14 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Engine on my 83 Pace Arrow doesn't turn off with the ignition switch

When I bought this 83 Pace Arrow the PO, has many battery cables and wires running from the house battery to the starter battery and else where. I tried to correct this problem by cleaning up the smaller wires going to the batteries and created as many problem as I solved, so before I again start something that I may have to end up paying someone to correct I wanted to first get feedback from you out there as to what your opinion may be to the root cause, and if I think I can do the work myself I may tackle it, otherwise I will have to discover temporary solution until I can afford to have someone to do that for me. I really don't think it is a ignition switch problem.

I went so far as to add a disconnect switch to turnoff all power to the engine and house, and put it between both of the red cables [one at a time] that was on the starter battery and neither cut of the power, so I know there is at least one jumper cable that is providing power to the engine and the ignition system.

I have installed a 2nd disconnect switch between the house batteries and the starter battery and that is working correctly. so it is a start I guess.

So the current problem is at times after starting the engine it will not turn off, even after I turn the ignition off and remove the key, until I get out and disconnect the battery, at which time it dies. Over the last weekend it did it again, and even after disconnecting the starter battery it stayed running until I pulled the plug from the shore power , so I am positive that I have a problem, that must be corrected.

I now plan to replace many of the bad battery cables and would like to remove the ones that are not necessary, but how do you make that determination? I do not want to create another major problem for myself as I did when I cleaned up the smaller wiring problem.

Where would you start? Right now as of last week end everything is again running [working], so I donít want to start over again. I have no idea why the PO or his mechanic did what they did, but I have to think there must be a reason.

I guess I can pull one cable, then start the engine, test everything to insure it still works correctly, and if so, donít replace it, but to me this is long difficult process, that I could easily mess up. I also am aware that it may not even be the 4 Ga battery cable it could be one of the other wires, that is creating the cross connection, so there is just too much I donít understand and or know first hand that I can screw up. That being said it also seems as if after pulling both battery cable the problem may not reoccur for a while, but eventually it doe return.

Would it just be easier for now to wire in a kill switch that I can assess from the cab, and if so where would that go,[like the hot wire to the coil] and how easy is it, so I donít again create a problem that I will have to pay someone else to correct? I know there must be someone out there who must have had and corrected this problem already so I donít have to start from scratch. all feedback is most welcomed.

Sometime I feel stupid for asking too many question , but I also understand that the only stupid question is the one not asked, so I you folks don't get tired of all of them I have posted lately. I just don't know what I don't know and this seem to be the perfect place to find the correct answers.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2011, 03:41 PM   #2

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I would first call Fleetwood and have them send you the wiring diagram for your coach. Remember that the coach has it's own diagram and the chassis has it's diagram as well. They are tied together(kind of) under the dash should be on left side tucked up high. Or could also be under top of dash if your dash comes off or has a compartment. I have a 94 PA and I found multiple wires disconnected in the dash compartment from the top. Luckily they are labeled on the wire. Needed a magnifying glass to read them but could. Found out most were for add ons but a couple should have been connected.
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:54 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Knights View Post
I would first call Fleetwood and have them send you the wiring diagram for your coach. Remember that the coach has it's own diagram and the chassis has it's diagram as well. They are tied together(kind of) under the dash should be on left side tucked up high. Or could also be under top of dash if your dash comes off or has a compartment. I have a 94 PA and I found multiple wires disconnected in the dash compartment from the top. Luckily they are labeled on the wire. Needed a magnifying glass to read them but could. Found out most were for add ons but a couple should have been connected.
Thanks for your feedback,. I have both wiring diagrams, that they are willing to provide, but both are not much more than pencil drawing and they don't really address the problem, or at least I may be too stupid to understand them, but it seems as if they were rather simple, as far as removing the dash cover, I tried to do this for more than a week, remove all of the screw I could locate but no matter what I did that dash would not come off, so not to risk braking it or risk creating some other problem I stopped trying, I was really surprise that it would not come off, i thought i could look down and see everything I needed, so I would not have to remove the front dash plates and everything attached to it. The room I got from removing the dash was so very limited it was moot.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:03 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
I would start by isolating the house & coach batteries. This would allow you to troubleshoot 1 system at a time. My 1st thought is that you have a starter solenoid wiring problem, or possibly a bad ignition switch. Both of these problems could cause the engine to keep running. Unplugging from shore power to turn the engine off, sounds like you have multiple problems. A schematic should help you a lot. Remember that troubleshooting an electrical system will drive you crazy. Most electrical problems are due to loose grounds, or bad grounds! Take your time!

Good Luck!
Dirtbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:15 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have so far isolated the battery cables that connects the house and the starter, and once I have been able to determine of all of the wires I moved from the battery post to the new fuse block of those that are house related I will soon move them to the house batteries and remove them from the starter battery. I guess as alway one thing at a time. I think I have made all of th corrected to the problem I created for myself in relationship to the house and that is why I am now on the engine problems
Old 02-07-2011, 06:08 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Kartvines, I'm glad you are asking all these questions. It is helping me understand my 84 a little. The weather here in Alabama has not been the best to work outside in and money is short. I refer back to your post when I have a problem I cant fix so thanks for all your questions.
Dennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:58 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
I believe you have a backfeed problem. It is through the chevy. fuse panel. First of all, start the engine. Go to the fuse block. (usually mounted on the firewall, close to your left foot, or on top of the steering support in most tiffin MH.) Look for a fuse marked Ignition. Pull this fuse. If the engine dies you have a backfeed problem. (It just means you are feeding 12volts from another source other than your switch.) Try this and if it works, get back to me and we will go indepth on the repair.
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:05 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thank you, I have corrected that problem, and it was another wire that was adding power to that circuit.