RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2020, 12:31 PM   #1

Engine Performance

I am sure this topic has probably beat to death on here. But does anyone have any experience with the Banks systems, or any performance upgrade system for that matter.

Would installing the Banks cold air intake system make enough difference to justify it? I have a 2015 Bounder 35K, with the Ford V10.
Railsbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2020, 12:46 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railsbg View Post
I am sure this topic has probably beat to death on here. But does anyone have any experience with the Banks systems, or any performance upgrade system for that matter.

Would installing the Banks cold air intake system make enough difference to justify it? I have a 2015 Bounder 35K, with the Ford V10.

My opinion in a MH not enough difference to notice. A v10 is just a high rev engine in a heavy vehicle doing all it can.
Old 12-05-2020, 01:26 PM   #3

Unless you hold your foot to the floor, for the power your looking for, your not going to realize any extra power.

All HP and torque #s are measured at WOT ( wide open throttle ) against a full load.

I had a 1999 V10 in a 30 ft MH and toad. I used to stand on the gas pedal to climb Fancy Gap, a 6%, 4 mile grade, at 50 MPH.

Other then that, I drove it like I should, not WOT.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 01:40 PM   #4

Pretty much every vehicle since the mid-1970's came from the factory with a "cold air intake" setup. The only real reason I see to change to an aftermarket one is noise. Factory stuff has to meet EPA noise regulations, hence their sometimes rather odd and serpentine design layouts. Most aftermarket setups do away with all that in favor of a fairly straight shot through tubing. Which does nothing much for performance but makes your sister's old hand-me-down sedan at least sound more like it can do something interesting.
Air filters are about the same. A qualified fella with one of the few machines in the world capable of doing real air filter performance testing found the fancy and overpriced ones performed markedly worse than a standard OEM replacement "paper" filter. So not only are you likely to waste money on such stuff they might also do the opposite of what you want.

If you're looking to uncork some more power (hopefully) then you want to be looking at headers and exhaust. In that area Banks is the gold standard. For RV's anyway.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 06:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railsbg View Post
I have a 2008 Terra with Banks CAI and Exhaust, also a 5Star tune. I tow pretty much every time I use it.

Initially I installed the tune.. Big improvement.

Years later I added the Banks Stinger. Frankly, not a huge difference in power when I added the Banks but it felt a bit stronger

Maybe an increase in power on paper but nothing to get excited about while driving

Is it worth it? If you're the kind of guy that likes mods and shiny exhaust it is... If you're not that guy maybe it's not worth it

But it looks awesome and it's great quality....

If you want a huge improvement in power and driving confidence go with the 5Star tune.... If they make it for your '18

Highly recommended
Vato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 03:28 PM   #6

Thanks for your replies. I will have to look into that 5star tune for sure. I would like some more power. I currently tow a crv. But am looking to go to a Jeep Liberty, which will be a little bit heavier. I suspect in order to see a significant major improvement in power it is going to get into my pocket to do it. Which I am ok with once I am confident I am buying the right things.
Old 12-08-2020, 03:36 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

The full Banks kit made some difference on my old '96 Southwind Ford 460 and E4OD tranny, but I would not expect any notable change on recent V10's or even 10 year old Ford V10's and GM V8's, which already have sophisticated air and electronic systems and excellent computer management to get the most from engine & tranny. Save your money.

Look at the Banks specs to see where you gain torque & hp. It's almost surely in rpm ranges you are reluctant to use and probably avoid due to noise.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 04:26 PM   #8

I have been looking into this 5 star deal that Vato has mentioned. Seems to get good reviews. What I am really looking for is to cut down on the in and out of passing gear. Seems that it will do it on relatively flat land or just the smallest of inclines. I think if I could at least reduce that I would be happy. And I realize it is a big boxy motorhome with a v10 in it, but there has to be some help somewhere for it.
Old 12-20-2020, 03:53 PM   #9

engine power

losss of power changed both fuel filters
gatorstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 03:58 PM   #10

loss of engine power

i have loss my engine power to drive my 2005 Fleetwood Expedition iíve changed both fuel filters before this happened on the highway I was losing speed climbing hills and then shut me down it had to be towed N this is when I had my fuel filters changed but with no luck idles good you can rev the motor up to 25,000 RPMsBut will not move the motorhome at any high rate of speed almost like a crawl would appreciate any information that would help
gatorstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 04:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorstan View Post
i have loss my engine power to drive my 2005 Fleetwood Expedition iíve changed both fuel filters before this happened on the highway I was losing speed climbing hills and then shut me down it had to be towed N this is when I had my fuel filters changed but with no luck idles good you can rev the motor up to 25,000 RPMsBut will not move the motorhome at any high rate of speed almost like a crawl would appreciate any information that would help
2,500 RPMs, its not a jet.

Check all over the 3" charge air pipes and hoses for a split or one that pulls off easily.

If you loose the boost from the turbo charger it won't make any power.

The charge air pipes run from the engine, to a radatior type air to air cooler and then back to the engine. There are a number of short hoses with clamps keeping everything together.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 05:10 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
So i have the complete system headers, intake, torq tubes and tuner.
I have the gm 8.1 v8 496ci big block.
The difference is

stock 340hp at crank
banks system 342hp at rear wheels

Stock 455 torq at crank
Banks system 456 at rear wheels

So with the complete system is about 11% increase

Only you can detemine weather it is worth the cost my cost was 2k plus install
robertkathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 08:40 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
I am a BIG Banks fan. The Banks system worked great on the 454 and the 460. When the 8.1 Chevy and the 6.8 ford came along, Ford and Chevy had gotten smart. They were wringing every bit of power out of their engines. Check the specs on the newer engines with and without the Banks. I don’t think the improvement is worth the cost anymore.
I still recommend the Banks cold air intake for the early V10 engines.
Old 12-22-2020, 08:50 AM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've had two Banks kits on MH's, one Ford 460 and then a Cummins ISC 350 and now on my Wrangler. All have produced gains in power, but nothing noticed in fuel mileage. Benefits outweighed the cost to me.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine