Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2019, 03:32 PM   #1

Entry Door Inner Plastic Skin Replacement - 2006 Fleetwood Discovery 39S

All:

I am looking to replace the entry door inner plastic skin on my 2006 Fleetwood Discovery 39S. The original is showing it's age.

In speaking to Fleetwood they said that the replacement entry door inner plastic skin is not an exact replacement for the original but very close. The original was made by Atwood and the replacement is now manufactured by Challenger Door.

Has anyone replaced their entry door inner plastic skin recently? Looking for some advice about what Fleetwood means when they say it's not an exact replacement. The picture they provided me looks exactly the same as my original. I've attached a picture to this post as well.

Thanks for your assistance.

Regards,

Mike
Attached Images

Mike R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2019, 07:23 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike R View Post
All:

I am looking to replace the entry door inner plastic skin on my 2006 Fleetwood Discovery 39S. The original is showing it's age.

In speaking to Fleetwood they said that the replacement entry door inner plastic skin is not an exact replacement for the original but very close. The original was made by Atwood and the replacement is now manufactured by Challenger Door.

Has anyone replaced their entry door inner plastic skin recently? Looking for some advice about what Fleetwood means when they say it's not an exact replacement. The picture they provided me looks exactly the same as my original. I've attached a picture to this post as well.

Thanks for your assistance.

Regards,

Mike
Is the old panel cracked and broken or is it just ratty looking? If it is just showing its age, You can paint it. In the past paint on plastic was not a good fix. The paint would not stick and would soon start to peel. Now they have plastic paints that actually melt the paint into the plastic. They work very well. If broken, you can repair the cracks and if you want to go fancy, you can cover the panel with leather or naugahide.
Old 05-09-2019, 05:24 AM   #3

Thanks for your comments Ga Traveler. I have a stress crack in one corner and the door is really yellowed over the years. I ended up ordering what they say is an exact replacement from Challenger Door in Indiana. Hoping to get it by mid next week and install it then I should be good to go for the camping season!

Also replaced my TriMark entry door interior/exterior entry door lock. Works much smoother and glad I did it.

Regards,

Mike
Old 05-10-2019, 01:12 PM   #4

All:

Just want to close the loop on the replacement of my entry door inner skin as well as the backer plate which is the plastic piece that goes around the interior lock area.

I purchased my entry door replacement inner skin from Challenger Door located in Indiana. Their parts department number is: (574) 773-8163. They were excellent to deal with!

For my 2006 Fleetwood Discovery, the inner door skin was Challenger Door part# 760212 and the plastic backer panel is Challenger Door part# number 760200. Challenger Doors pricing was far cheaper than anyone else. The inner panel was $92.68 and the small backer panel was $7.00. Due to the size of the inner door panel the freight charge was unfortunately $170.00.

My parts will be arriving on Tuesday and I will be happy to have a fresh new clean looking inner entry door panel with no cracks!

Hope this post helps out others in the same situation.

Regards,

Mike

Tags
ace, cover, discovery, door, entry door, fleetwood, replace, replacement