Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2014, 09:30 AM   #15

Have to agree, the issues are not so much coach build but more dealer post delivery check and fix. Seems the dealers do not want to inspect/fix items until after the sale is final - gambling the new owner will not find or will fix themselves. Example: Ours had a minor crack in the windshield and various scarring on paint front back and both sides. Some paint rubbed off the engine screen and some other items inside the bays. All of these were transport damages, not construction and were easily spotted in our first walk-around. They weren't officially "discovered" until we were doing our first PDI. I've already voiced my displeasure with this particular dealer in another thread and I wouldn't recommend them for much more than door stop repair at this point.

As for Excursion problems here are a few I've noticed:
1) Some slide seals were not applied correctly and will cause a grinding sound and sticking at times.
2) Console center access panel will not fasten correctly due to thick upholstery
3) No step stool supplied for the vertically challenged to open the bathroom or kitchen vents (ticks my wife off something fierce). They should have spent the extra and installed the higher end fans with auto open/close.

4) Some rain run-off issues on the driver and passenger side front windows (gutter problem). Also what may be a loose seal around the furnace cover or up on the gutter that can allow water into the coach. We're scheduled for the service deptartment in Coburg in June to take a look. Have put a bit of caulking in the gutter and have had no problems so far.

Not a problem but... Low end but touted as something wonderful are the Sony flat screens that are pretty much crippled not being smart TV's.

A few design quirks in the 33D such as that dark broom closet and the not so pleasant shower controls.

Not just an Excursion problem but seems to be a Freightliner chassis error where the steering wheel is off 1 or two teeth (usually to the right as mentioned). Yes a quick fix but for us OCD's is bothersome.
NadaThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2014, 08:42 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Today I was on my way to pick up my new 2014 Excursion 35B as I was told everything was fixed. When I got there, well it was another story. My big concern with the coach is that around 35 to 45 MPH their is a vibration on the coach or a low rumble and the steering wheel also vibrates. They have taken the unit and replaced all tires, balanced and aligned, balanced the driveshaft (this was supposed to be the problem fix) but still has vibration. The sales person wants me to take it like that because she said they all vibrate. Yeah Right!! If she makes the payments for me, then I'll take it that way.

Is vibration on RV's a normal thing? I'm not talking about all the rattle noises made by the rubber, plastic, doors and metal all together. I felt they want me to take the rig of their hands so I have to deal with Freightliner or Cumin on my dime and time. Been dealing with them for two months now, I hope this is not a lemon.
Hector1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 08:48 PM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Hector, my 35B did not vibrate. Rattled and squeaked - but no vibration.
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 06:47 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
Hector, my 35B did not vibrate. Rattled and squeaked - but no vibration.
Thanks Debbie,
Now I feel better for not taking delivery of the RV yesterday. I was itching yesterday on bringing my new toy home, but I was really concerned about the vibration. Like I said I will try to find one near me to see if it does the same.
Thanks again.

Hector
Old 12-16-2014, 08:00 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Hector--don't take it! Your warranty clock on a new purchase starts the day you sign the papers, and you will NEVER see quick service from that moment on. Sure... if you are willing to drive to Freightliner or Fleetwood they will welcome you (within that first year), but why not just take delivery of the very BEST that it can be from day-one? You will still have a list of other things that pop up during that first year of service that will need to be fix, but why start off with a problem? Especially something that they've tried to fix with reasonable meaussres but can't?

(Also--everything I say here applies to all brands of RV IMHO.)
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 08:35 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
Hector--don't take it! Your warranty clock on a new purchase starts the day you sign the papers, and you will NEVER see quick service from that moment on. Sure... if you are willing to drive to Freightliner or Fleetwood they will welcome you (within that first year), but why not just take delivery of the very BEST that it can be from day-one? You will still have a list of other things that pop up during that first year of service that will need to be fix, but why start off with a problem? Especially something that they've tried to fix with reasonable meaussres but can't?

(Also--everything I say here applies to all brands of RV IMHO.)
Thanks Statgeedk, that is what I was trying to say to her. "Why do I want to buy something today when we all know there is a problem". She was very pushy. I found another Excursion 2 hrs away, going to drive there today for a test drive to see if it has the same issues.

Thanks again

Hector
Old 12-17-2014, 08:56 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Good move Hector. No coach new has serious vibration problems, well almost! Generally it's ride height adjustment or alignment. This is an easy fix but not one you want to start with. The Excursion is a great coach, hard for any manufacturer to match its price point vs quality. Just take a glance at the Plazzo forum and you'll see what I mean. Enjoy your new coach hope to see you on the road.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:28 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
Good move Hector. No coach new has serious vibration problems, well almost! Generally it's ride height adjustment or alignment. This is an easy fix but not one you want to start with. The Excursion is a great coach, hard for any manufacturer to match its price point vs quality. Just take a glance at the Plazzo forum and you'll see what I mean. Enjoy your new coach hope to see you on the road.
Thanks Clayobx,
Just got back from the other dealer and drove their Excursion 2015, no vibration on that one at all. The 2015 is out of my range for now, but if I have to wait for the 2016 to come out so I can get a nice deal on the 2015 I'll do it. I gave them till the end of the month to fix it. Not sure how much discount to ask for the RV once it goes over the one year old. Its a new unit, but it will be a year soon.
What do you guys think?

Hector
Old 12-18-2014, 05:40 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
hector-not hoping to delay your purchase..but that's how I got my 2013. It was on dealer's lot close to or maybe equal to a year. I purchased it in Sept of 2013, and the 14's had been out for a while by then.

If you do that though, you may run into problems like I did--fried house batteries due to poor lot maintenance. In my case the dealer stood behind it and just replaced then for me. So the sweet price was well worth the wait.
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:02 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Always have gotten 25-32% off MSRP on new coaches.
Jafundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:13 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Already getting 35% off the coach, but I want more. :-) Thats why I have waited this long and gone the trouble to get this coach its in great condition inside and especially the outside. The RV was in the show room for about 4 to 6 month, I know that because I was there betweeen that time. The batteries sitll look new, they just replaced all 6 tires and balanced them and best of all the dealer is giving us two new hats for us to on our heads displaying their dealer names for free. What else do I need after that!!!!!:-)
Old 12-18-2014, 09:10 AM   #26

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector1959 View Post
Already getting 35% off the coach, but I want more. :-) Thats why I have waited this long and gone the trouble to get this coach its in great condition inside and especially the outside. The RV was in the show room for about 4 to 6 month, I know that because I was there betweeen that time. The batteries sitll look new, they just replaced all 6 tires and balanced them and best of all the dealer is giving us two new hats for us to on our heads displaying their dealer names for free. What else do I need after that!!!!!:-)

A coach that doesn't vibrate.
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 03:50 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
hector-not hoping to delay your purchase..but that's how I got my 2013. It was on dealer's lot close to or maybe equal to a year. I purchased it in Sept of 2013, and the 14's had been out for a while by then.

If you do that though, you may run into problems like I did--fried house batteries due to poor lot maintenance. In my case the dealer stood behind it and just replaced then for me. So the sweet price was well worth the wait.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafundy View Post
Always have gotten 25-32% off MSRP on new coaches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
A coach that doesn't vibrate.
Its a xmission problem not the normal rattle, shaking or noises the RV makes when driving down the road or frame twisting. It's in the acceleration around 35 to 45 mph. I dont want that on a new RV

Hector
Old 12-19-2014, 05:34 PM   #28

A rv guru told me that a shaking at a certain speed means tires
a vibration in the steering wheel is front tires
My coach did the same at 35000 miles . They rotated the tires to the rear vibration went away (Goodyear tires) . If the got you new tires ask for the paperwork. I just remembered that the tire guy ran his hand all over the tire and the right front had a ripple you could see and feel. No vibration when on the back.
3wheeljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote