RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2006, 11:26 AM   #1

Hi guys I just purchased a 2006 Expedition, I have had it in a couple of times for various reasons but the dealer and Fleetwood cant seem to keep the battons (between the cieling panels) from sagging. They are apparently coming out of ther guides. Last time in Fleetwood reccomended squirting "Liquid Nails" up in the areas and holding it up with a 2x4 untill it cured. It lasted about a day. Anybody with a similar experience or advice? I was told they have since changed the design. I could live with it if I was assured it would not get any worse. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Eric
Raspadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2006, 11:26 AM   #2

Hi guys I just purchased a 2006 Expedition, I have had it in a couple of times for various reasons but the dealer and Fleetwood cant seem to keep the battons (between the cieling panels) from sagging. They are apparently coming out of ther guides. Last time in Fleetwood reccomended squirting "Liquid Nails" up in the areas and holding it up with a 2x4 untill it cured. It lasted about a day. Anybody with a similar experience or advice? I was told they have since changed the design. I could live with it if I was assured it would not get any worse. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Eric
Old 12-11-2006, 04:49 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Failing things rarely get better when left to themselves. Don't accept a story - make them fix it right.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 06:27 AM   #4

Thanks for the reply Gary, I was hoping it was a common problem but that does not seem to be the case. It is a MAJOR repair the way they explain it...
Old 12-12-2006, 05:08 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

In my experience Liquid Nails is not an effective adhesive for this sort of problem. There are glues that would hold most anything in place, but heaven help you if you ever needed to get those battens down for any reason.

Would it be practical for you to go to the factory for repairs? That is often the best choice for difficult problems - they have the skills, knowledge of the design and materials, and the equipment to do things a dealer just screws around with. Have you talked with the Fleetwood rep personally to discuss what can be done and how best to accomplish it? The 06 is under a new coach warranty, right?
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 02:40 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My 2002 Triumph fifth wheel is afflicted with a similar malady - if I understand you correctly. The ceiling panels are sheets of 1/8" luaun plywood that are stapled to some metal "runners" along the edges of each panel. Then there are some cover strips covering the seams between the panels. In my Triumph they started sagging after about 6 months of use. The dealer tried fixing it three times - the second time they said that Fleetwood had gone to a wider strip to cover the seam, so they replaced every strip in the rig, to no avail. After about 6 months from each attempt at repair they would sag again.

Finally, I decided to see what the problem was - and I think it's the method of construction that's the issue. When they staple the panel to the runner they don't bother to inspect it to see if the staple actually hits both the panel and the runner. In addition, the staples don't hold real well when the whole assembly is bouncing and twisting down the highway. Similarly, when they staple the cover strip up they again don't take any care to make sure the staples actually bite into anything. My solution was to get some small pan head screws - I think I used #4X3/8 self-tapping screws - and attach the panels to the runners with those. Then I used some carpet tape to attach the cover strip to the panels. That's held it in place for aver a year now with no sagging, and if I need to get up behind the panels for anything it'll all come apart without having to strip away any glue.
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 06:30 PM   #7

Yes it is under factory warranty, The dealer just tried the same fix again taking Fleetwood's advice. I do'nt see how it will work since after the first Liquid Nails try it actually dried into a sagging position. I will call Fleetwood's cust relations, Thanks. I actually live about 20 min from their Riverside, Ca. facility though they build the pushers back east..Thanks again for the feedback!
Old 10-28-2007, 02:13 PM   #8

What ever you do, make sure that you do not listen to customer service when they say they do not take units to the factory any more. They do after you take them to court..You need to talk to a Fleetwood Rep. Ours will be taken to the Riverside Factory this next week to have major work done on it.

2005 37' Expedition
bobnkay is offline   Reply With Quote