Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2014, 08:33 AM   #1

Expedition Residential Fridge

I have a 2009 Fleetwood Expedition 38F with a 1200 Norcold fridge and wanted to know if anyone has successfully installed a residential unit in this model?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2014, 08:38 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Here is some reading for you till answers start coming https://www.google.com/search?q=Expe...2.com&x=42&y=4
Old 02-28-2014, 07:22 PM   #3

I have in a 2006 Expedition. Download the spec sheet for a Samsun RF197. Check your space to see if it will fit. I did have to modify the cabinet space above the old frig and rewire the outlet to run off the inverter.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:49 PM   #4

Thanks. Did you have to rebuild the base where the new fridge would sit? Also, did you have to move the waterline? My electrical line is set in a pocket so it not have to be moved!
Old 03-01-2014, 04:39 PM   #5

I installed the frig 11 inches above the floor. There is a shallow drawer there, but behind it is a bundle of wires, 2 heat runs and 2 drain lines entering a wye. I didn't want to change all that. I still had about 2 inches above the frig. I filled the sides with 1 1/2 inches of foam insulation, the back 2 1/2" and the ceiling with 2 ". I didn't remove the roof vent, but I did fill it with fiberglass bat and sealed the vents with eternabond tape. I didn't have to move the outlet, I just wanted it to run off one of the two inverter circuits. The microwave was on the inverter. I installed a switch that would place the frig or the microwave on the inverter and the other on a 120 circuit. The engine alternator and the inverter operate the frig very easily while traveling. When stopped we run the generator until bed time and the frig will hold temp until morning without the inverter. My inverter is a modified sine wave and I did not add any batteries.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:50 PM   #6

Thanks for sharing it's well appreciated! Do you have a photo of the final fit?
Old 03-02-2014, 08:34 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Could you get it in through the door or have to remove a window/windshield?
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:41 AM   #8

mrboyer:There should be no need to run the gennie every time you stop for the night. How many batteries and what type do you have? Why did you install the foam insulation on the sides?
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:17 PM   #9

jtermini30,

There is another potential solution. You can add an Amish cooling unit to your Norcold absorption refrigerator. It fits exactly where your old cooling unit was installed, and removes the potential fire hazard with the refrigerator. We have done 4 of these conversions for ourselves and friends. All have been successful with no need to modify your coach. We looked at the pros and cons of going residential, and decided it was best for us to stay with the original unit and just replace the cooling unit..Just a thought.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:37 PM   #10

Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:32 PM   #11
Cat

If I remember right the Samsung needs a min 1" on the sides and a 1" or two on top for air circulation. The residential stays cool by pulling heat from inside the fridge and blowing the heat out the back and up the top of fridge. My Samsung keeps my freezer at zero in Southern AZ summer temperatures and my fridge at 38 and it holds 18 cu ft. Best Mod I ever made, DW loves it. I love it. No big deal on 4 T105 batteries.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:26 PM   #12

To answer questions:
I removed the passenger side window. As I remember it was 39"x42". More than enough to lift the frig like a coffin and slide into the coach. I did not remove the doors.
I insulated the side walls, because the gas range is on one side and to minimize any interior heat transferring to the frig.
I had vent space above and about one inch of air space on the range side (left) and 3 inches on the right with vent space running along the full height. One can feel the air movement when the fan is on in the rear of the frig.
I only have one 8D 12 volt battery that my Xantrex MSW inverter uses. because of the better insulation and lower temps that the frig maintains, I do not need to run it at night. Our first trip was 95 degrees and while traveling the frig maintained 35-38 degrees and the freezer 0-6. We were in a campground the rest of the time and temps stayed about the same while plugged into shore power. We have made a trip of 1,800 miles with no difficulties. In our RV resort, 4 others have made the same installation and will never go back.
I do have pictures, but I am not sure how to post them.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:10 PM   #13
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How to add photos to a post
Click Quick Reply and scroll down to bottom of text box.
Click Go Advanced, add text to message window and then scroll down.
Click Manage Attachments. A separate window will pop up.
Click Browse... then select the file to be uploaded. Be sure that the photo is appropriately sized. 620 x 620 pixels (or smaller) and no more than 100K. Forums software will automatically reduce the size, but smaller size photos will upload much faster. You may select several photos to upload at the same time by repeating the last step.
Click Upload. After pics have loaded, close the pop-up window.
Click Submit Reply to post the text of your message - photos will automatically appear at the bottom of your post.
You can also:
Click Post Reply or, if starting a new thread, click New Thread
Click on the paperclip symbol in the top row of the message box. A separate window will pop up.
Click Browse...then select the file to be uploaded. Be sure that the photo is appropriately sized. 620 x 620 pixels (or smaller) and no more than 100K. Forums software will automatically reduce the size, but smaller size photos will upload much faster. You may select several photos to upload at the same time by repeating the last step.
Click Upload. After pics have loaded, close the pop-up window.
Click Submit Reply (if you are replying) or Submit New Thread (if a new discussion) to post the text of your message - photos will automatically appear at the bottom of your post.
About attachment storage limits

When you upload a copy of an image file (or other attachment) it is stored on our servers. There are some restrictions on how much data can be stored.

Registered members are limited to 50 MB of attachment storage for items posted to threads and posts and 100 MB for files posted to the photo gallery. We highly recommend that you reduce file sizes before uploading them to posts and threads.

Contributing members have unlimited attachment storage for threads and posts. A contributing membership is an annual commitment. If a contributing membership reverts to a standard account, loaded images will still remain, but if you have exceeded the storage limits of a standard member account (50 MB), you may be unable to load more attachments. And remember ... all images loaded to posts (regardless of your membership status) must meet the size requirement above. If they are larger, they will fail to load.

How to embed an image stored on another site:
You can do this by using image tags. Upload the image to a service like imageshack and then copy the URL of the image and put that between [IMG] tags. That will work well, as long as the host site stays in business and doesn't disable your image for overuse of bandwidth etc.

You can also paste in the location of a photo stored here in a photo gallery.

To do this: Paste the url of the image from our photo gallery into your post. Then add the following code on either side of the url (with no extra spaces):

[IMG]url here[/IMG]

The image will appear where the url was in your text.
08 14 Lincoln MKX AWD 06 Lincoln Mark LT 4X4, 2020 Lincoln Corsair
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote