Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2017, 01:14 PM   #1

Fabric Net type tow protectors

My '07 Tradition has the exhaust out the curb side rear bumper which hampers the installation of a protect a tow or similar fabric type tow protector. The exhaust will melt the fabric.

I want to come up with a solution that will allow me to use the fabric type tow protectors. I have a blue ox base plate and ready brute elite tow bar.

A couple of solutions are to move the exhaust so it extends out the side of the coach or move it so it exhausts under the coach. I'm not sure if this would affect the performance of the exhaust system and would rather come up with another solution. I don't like the barrier type system which requires modifications to my base place.

The first pic is of the tow bar and exhaust arrangement. The second pic show the muffler and exhaust pipe which shows a very small distance between the muffler and exhaust outlet. Not leaving much room to move the exhaust pipe underneath the chassis.

Another thread showed a protect a tow attached to the full width vanity mud flap, but protect a tow does not recommend that arrangement.

Since many Fleetwood coaches have exhaust out the back, I hope someone on this forum has come up with a solution.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2297 (1024x768).jpg
Views:	69
Size:	223.3 KB
ID:	161925   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2301 (1024x768).jpg
Views:	71
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	161926  

Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2017, 01:26 PM   #2

This problem has been around a long long time. I seem to remember someone had turned the exhaust outlet so it discharged sideways and then lined the protect a tow fabric in the area of the exhaust pipe with a cloth heat protector.

I also remember someone just rerouted the exhaust pipe so it discharged out the side of the coach.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 01:28 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Take the 'Tradition' mud flap (rock launcher) off and don't worry about it if there are mud flaps behind your tires. Saves a bunch of weight, too. Those things are heavy!

Walt
photopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 01:44 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Somewhere on this website I saw a post where I guy modified his Protect-a-tow by cutting and hemming his unit for clearance of his exhaust. I have no idea how to search for the post. Maybe someone will remember where it might be listed.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:02 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
I just put a camping cinch strap around the cloth and the trailer hitch to hold the cloth back from the exhaust pipe
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 06:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
This problem has been around a long long time. I seem to remember someone had turned the exhaust outlet so it discharged sideways and then lined the protect a tow fabric in the area of the exhaust pipe with a cloth heat protector.
I think that's what I will do. Get a protect a tow, turn the exhaust outlet so it's sideways and have a fabric shop sew in this:( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N55ZCZU?psc=1 ) on the protect a tow fabric around the exhaust
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by photopilot View Post
Take the 'Tradition' mud flap (rock launcher) off and don't worry about it if there are mud flaps behind your tires. Saves a bunch of weight, too. Those things are heavy!

Walt
I'll second Walt's motion. I removed my rear flap two years and over 10K miles ago.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:11 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Full width mudflap is gone, so are the stones. Individual tire mudflaps are 3 inches from ground.
Rv is 50 lbs lighter too.

Tags
tow