Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2016, 12:30 AM   #1

Factory-ordering a custom bounder, how long?

The DW and I are ramping up to buy a new Bounder 35K and full-time in it. We decided to order it to get just what we want and nothing else, so we're interested in the timeline from ordering to receiving it. If this question has been asked before, could somebody please point me to the answer?

Since we're retired and will have sold our house, we're pretty much rootless until we move into our Bounder, so extended stay hotels, presumably ending up in Decatur, Ind. or wherever the dealer is that's handling the sale, will be the reality for us until we get the coach. We're also interested in seeing the coach built, if that's possible - I know some makers do it but am not sure about Fleetwood. It would help to know how much time we can expect to be hoteling it. Thanks in advance. -JP
klebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2016, 01:25 AM   #2

I've read up too 12 weeks or so. They should be able too give you a tour and a date of when coach will be built. Not too rain on your parade, but why buy new? These things depreciate like a rock. You can buy a 5-7 yr old rig for about 1/2 the cost of new. Plus a new rig will have problems. Being full time and trying to set up times for all these things to get fix will be a pain in the butt. If this is your first RV I really suggest you get a used one and save the money...😀👍🏻

1996 Country Coach Intrigue 😜
UncleBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 05:07 AM   #3

If I where special ordering a coach the best one to ask would be Fleetwood and the dealer. Reason they know how the assembly line is running and what company policy is on watching the coach being built.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:51 AM   #4

Quote:
so we're interested in the timeline from ordering to receiving it.
The time varies depending on what is already in the queue. Like there is a big queue when they are making units for dealer model year changes. We were like 8 weeks for our 2016 33C but 8-12 is a good number.

Quote:
Not too rain on your parade, but why buy new? These things depreciate like a rock. You can buy a 5-7 yr old rig for about 1/2 the cost of new.
Well not all things are equal. For us the 2016 Bounder has a higher clearance in the pass thru areas across the frame, 6-speed transmission, household refrigerator standard, and (4) 6 volt batteries to name a few things. I could install a household refrigerator, and the batteries for part of that half off dollars but no way to raise the body or change the transmission.

Also none of the units on the lot had a Credenza Table which we wanted.

1/2 the cost means you need to put the savings in a bank account because a 5-7 yr old rig will have its age problems.

So no rain on my parade.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:07 AM   #5

For us its the credenza table, the LX package and NO loft bed (all on RVtrader had them), for us. Sometimes you just have to buy new and take the depreciation hit to get what you want. I expect I could rip out the booth and install my own table but not when its under warranty and perhaps not with the tools I'm taking on the road.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:20 AM   #6

We did order the loft bed and the exterior package even through we have intention of ever using them.

The loft bed because we had the factory leave the L-Couch out because it is incredibly difficult to remove it.We put a La-Z-Boy recliner loveseat. And with the Credenza Table, we had eliminated all the sleeping space outside of the main bed. The loft is for the next people.

It turns out the front TV that comes with the loft bed is useful when we are at the table.

Same with the Exterior TV. Not for us but for resale.

The options we ordered for our 33C and why are in Bounder Options.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:12 AM   #7

I should also say that the 6-speed tranny was a factor. Can't get that in a 5-7 year old coach.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:31 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
We ordered our 2016 FW Excursion in November and received it in January. About 8 weeks. Multiple issues were found upon delivery so the dealer had it an additional 2 weeks to make repairs before we brought it home. Our excursion has been basically living at the dealer, except when we take it on the road ,due to all the repairs FW has been doing.
Xman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 09:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBilly View Post
I've read up too 12 weeks or so. They should be able too give you a tour and a date of when coach will be built. Not too rain on your parade, but why buy new? These things depreciate like a rock. You can buy a 5-7 yr old rig for about 1/2 the cost of new. Plus a new rig will have problems. Being full time and trying to set up times for all these things to get fix will be a pain in the butt. If this is your first RV I really suggest you get a used one and save the money...😀👍🏻

1996 Country Coach Intrigue 😜
X2 on the above

If buying new don't forget to factor in the time spent waiting while the dealer works out all the bugs . Could be a day or as long as a month. Check out some of the new owner posts. A real eye opener!
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 09:56 AM   #10

The wife and I ordered a 2017 pace 38k LXE May 6, 2016. It just arrived at the dealer (San Diego Ca.) yesterday. Nearly 3 months. The only reason I ordered it was I had it painted with colors which are not offered in this model. Waiting until tomorrow to go test drive it and inspect it before I complete the sale.
Par shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchero View Post
X2 on the above

If buying new don't forget to factor in the time spent waiting while the dealer works out all the bugs . Could be a day or as long as a month. Check out some of the new owner posts. A real eye opener!
If it were me and buying a new one I would schedule 2 trips to the factory the first year. So I like your idea of buying it local to Decatur (if the price is right!). Then take it for a shake down trip in that area. There will most likely be things that need to be addressed. Let the factory take care of everything for you. I am headed there in September after a MISERABLE warranty experience with LAZYDAYS. It was there for just under 5 months and not everything was addressed.
Then at the end of the first year take another trip to the factory to address anything that might have stopped working int he first year.
That's how I would do it if I had to do it again. I am happy with the Bounder and plan on keeping it for a long time (even with the 5 speed tranny!)

Tags
bounder