Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2019, 06:25 PM   #1

First time rv'er with 2000 Fleetwood Bounder

Have had the Bounder for about 4 weeks. Have not even had chance to camp yet and I can't figure out why the slides, lights and fridge won't turn on. They were on 2 weeks ago. Power is running the electric outlets and microwave. Rv has been connected to house power. Owners manual not really useful. I have a lot of switches and not sure what they do. Is there a sight that goes through all of the interior functions, what all switches do and what I am doing wrong?
poobear101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2019, 06:40 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by poobear101 View Post
Have had the Bounder for about 4 weeks. Have not even had chance to camp yet and I can't figure out why the slides, lights and fridge won't turn on. They were on 2 weeks ago. Power is running the electric outlets and microwave. Rv has been connected to house power. Owners manual not really useful. I have a lot of switches and not sure what they do. Is there a sight that goes through all of the interior functions, what all switches do and what I am doing wrong?
Your battery died? Is your converter working?
Wbago97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 06:53 PM   #3

It's going to be a learning curve. I don't have the answer since I just got mine, too. But I think it's a good idea to make a binder with cheat notes for this stuff -- things like levelers and slides seem to have potentially complicated procedures. Having to refer back to forums or dig through manuals can be annoying.

Good luck!
rodekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 07:09 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Check your house batteries. They usually power the slides and at least some of the voltage for the fridge to operate. Good place to start.
Berryfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 06:47 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your Bounder... Is it a Diesel or Gas?? What chassis? If your Bounder is a gasser, and a Ford F53,, your Bounder and my Southwind will be very similar.

If you are plugged into shore power, all your 110 volt outlets should have power, and all your lights should work..

The lights are all 12 volts, however, when you are plugged into shore power, there is a power supply called an "Converter" that converts 110 volts to 12 volts, and this should supply all the 12 volt devices. If your lights aren't working, but you have 110 volts, then you need to see why the converter isn't supplying 12 volts.

Battery Disconnect switches.. You should have 2 switches that are used to connect/disconnect the 12 volt batteries. These are generally used when storing the unit. The switches are located somewhere near the entry door, Mine are located in the small cabinet directly above the door.

SLIDES - The slides work on 12 volts and should work OK. However, they draw a LOT of current so I usually run my slides while the engine is running.

You frig (if its and absorption type) should work on both propane or 110 volts. It should automatically switch to 110 volts when your plugged into shore power, and switch back to propane when you unplug from shore power.

I have a lot of information on my web site, including DOWNLOADS of manuals for most of the systems. Including a SOUTHWIND manual.

1999 Southwind 35S – Southwind by Fleetwood – sporting its new paint job

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 06:01 PM   #6

Hey, don't feel bad. I bought my '99 Bounder 34J two years ago and I learn something new just about every time I get in it. Don't be discouraged. It can be a challenge but that's half of the fun! Just be careful and make sure it's safe to operate, especially if it's been setting for a while. Also, if you're not used to driving anything that big, be extremely careful until you get more comfortable with it. Enjoy your "NEW" camper!
Happy camping and God bless.
Oldcarnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 09:02 PM   #7

Waiter21 gave great advice. Mine is a 2013 feet storm and the engine has to be running to extend the slides and to put the levelers down and the emergency brake has to be engaged. Somewhere on the frig has to be a selector switch to choose elec,propane or automatic. Try it on propane only. Other point about low batteries is the 12v from the batteries controls the circuit boards in the frig. If house batteries are low or dead or disconnected from system frig will not work. Ask me how I found that out. The electric to the frig actually only runs a heating element which heats the stuff which causes the chemical reaction that results in the cooling. Not sue where you’re located but maybe you can find someone in your area that has some my experience to come over and give you a hand figuring it out. Don’t give up, we’ve all been there At one time or another and even after years are still learning.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:18 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by poobear101 View Post

Hi:
i am also new to this rv'ing thing and had the same problem with the slides
my solution was that i kept forgetting to apply the parking brake
one i set it the problem was solved

hope this helps
BCTRAVELER99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 10:30 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Does everything work if the engine is running? The engine alternator should be charging the house batteries and powering the 12v system (I think - I've heard it both ways from different folks).
Since all the things you mention that aren't working are on the 12v system, I agree that the 'house' batteries are a good place to start checking. They are probably 6 volt rather than 12 and you probably have at least 2 of them connected 'in series' to provide 12 volt power. They are a 'deep cycle' type of battery similar to those on golf carts. If they aren't reading 5+ volts, put them on a charger (remember 6v, not 12) and see if they accept a charge (check the water level first and add distilled water if necessary). If they do, and all your 12v stuff works again, then your converter probably isn't providing them with a charge. If the batteries test really low or the internal plates are exposed to air (you can see them inside the battery with the caps off), they might be dead or close to it.
Some of this may sound like I'm talking 'down' to you but I have no idea how much of this you already know so I'm trying to make it really simple just in case some of it is new to you.
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
Seeing the USA - 200 miles at a time
daveandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 01:45 PM   #10

It may be that the proper procedures need to be followed. My Southwind requires the engine running and parking brake set. Batteries must be healthy and be sure you have reset the battery cutout switch to battery. Be sure your battery ground is good.
Jimg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bounder, fleetwood