Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2015, 05:37 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Staying at KOA Salome AZ. Thru The Summer, & Loving It..
Send a message via AIM to Bilgerat
Fix Or Replace Waterheater

I have a Atwood 6 Gallon Model G6A-8E. I believe the module board main connection (white, flat, 4 wire, push on type) has worn out. I suspect this because the last few months the WH would be inop, I would remove the connection, clean with an eraser, electronic cleaner, wipe and re-connect, WH would then operate normally. The connection does not fit, tight or snug.
I need to check the fuse, but my installation/owners manual is not of help. There is a foam cover glued over wires going into the back of the WH, it will not pull off easily, and I do not want to tear it up if there is not a fuse under it to check. Yes, I have removed all of those push on connectors, and re-connected. Also removed, cleaned and re-connected the 2 ground wires.

All that said, if I do need to purchase a new board, is it worth fixing, or should I purchase a new WH. I priced boards, seems to be about $150.00. I saw new WH'ers for $350.00 - $500.00. When I bought the MH last year I was concerned that the PO had installed a Hot Rod. The Atwood manual does not recommend these as they operate at a "Much" higher temp. That said we do not use Hot Rod "the kitchen tap gets so hot it hurts your hand to touch the metal to move the tap.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2015, 08:58 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
[QUOTE=Bilgerat;2492473]I have a Atwood 6 Gallon Model G6A-8E./QUOTE]

I'm in the process of replacing the water heater in my '93 Bounder. I'll be posting pics of the project soon. The original heater was similar to yours with a Hot Rod or something similar, but the installer had just run a crummy zip-cord cord to the outside power outlet. I'm replacing it with a combination gas/AC unit with electronic ignition (I think it's a GC6AE). I managed to fish romex from the heater bay into the basement bay adjacent where the electric outlet was located, so that I could wire it into the outside electric outlet - where it had been plugged in previously. I'm going to have to run new control wires and switch unit in the coach since the new one requires a switch for the electric element.

In terms of your issue, the 1/4" quick disconnects should be tight. They might could be cut off and replaced with new quick connects. If they aren't tight, they will develop oxide where the contacts touch, and will stop conducting very well.

My WH bay had a removable back panel to provide access to the water connections, but I still ended up pulling the wh out to get them loose - the connections were too tight. They were also leaking! I've purchased new swivel connections to install to correct the leaks.

The original wh electrical connections were butt-connectors. I'm going to be replacing them with 1/4" blade quick connects (used to call them fast-ons).
mckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 04:30 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you repair your HWH Go with a dinosaur board. You can get one for under $100.00. I would repair it. Have you removed the black foam cover and checked the connections to the ECO and the thermostat?
Old 04-03-2015, 08:20 PM   #4

mckinley & ga traveler. Thank You For The Reply. I am sorry, but it has been a rough couple of days. And on top of everything my computer took a dump on me this evening, hoping I can get it fixed . I am replying on DW's irv2 account. When we do replace the WH it will be if possible
with a elec/gas. Same with A/C roof units, would like heat pumps.. I will watch for your progress.

ga traveler,dino boards are a good deal, and I could not remember the name to google to same my a?? Thank You, but we need to be road ready by Wed to relocate for work. If the local RV shop tomorrow checks the board and I need one, we will bite the bullet and get one. Grrrr.
I did get my Blue Ox Base Plate mounted on my 99 Silverado today, Thank You Navy Auto Hobby Shop and my friend Tom, (Saved Me $1,000.00 Labor Charge Hitch Man In Waldorf Wanted For Install). Tom picked up an engine rebuild job while we were there today to. ...
I Do Hope You Folks Have A Great Easter Week-End!!!
Old 04-04-2015, 11:18 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
FIX is in the 200 dollars range or less. ..New water heater... Several times that.

one or two screws Two or 3 only one way to connect em connectors.

Consider Dinosaur boards replacement boards.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:28 PM   #6

Thanks wa8yxm. We need to get underway for Little Rock AR this week. We are going to wait now so we have a shipping address to have the parts shipped to.

I hope this isn't a silly question, can you buy dinosaur boards at RV Stores? Or is this a mail order only item? I know you have worked on a "lot" of RV appliances, in your opinion, about what is the lifespan of the Atwood WH'ers?
As Your Signature Says, "Home Is Where I Park It". I Hope You Are Parked In A Beautiful Spot, With Warm Weather...

Tags
ace, heater, replace, water