Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2016, 03:57 PM   #1

Flair 26e slide problem

I recently took my 2016 Flair 26e in for warranty work to have the slide that encompasses the dinette and refrigerator adjusted. When closed, there was an almost a two-inch gap between the slide flange and the side of the coach on the lower right corner (when facing the slide from outside the coach).

The service department first removed the motor on the rear of the slide, set the slide even on both sides, and reinstalled the motor. That did not correct the problem. On further inspection, they found that the exterior frame of the slide is hitting the metal bracket that holds the flap seal on the bottom. The floor of the slide was bent downward because the existing roller system was not adequate to support the weight of the refrigerator. To correct the problem, they will have to pull the slide, add a roller and metal plate, and reposition the other roller. Fortunately, they made some modifications so that coach is usable until it will be repaired during the off-season.

The service representative said that Fleetwood is “aware of this issue” and authorized the work to be done. Does this mean that newer models will have improved roller systems to avoid this problem? Owners of the Flair 26d should also be “aware of this issue” because it has the same slide configuration as the 26e.
Al Fresco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2016, 05:10 PM   #2
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Fresco View Post
I recently took my 2016 Flair 26e in for warranty work to have the slide that encompasses the dinette and refrigerator adjusted. When closed, there was an almost a two-inch gap between the slide flange and the side of the coach on the lower right corner (when facing the slide from outside the coach).

The service department first removed the motor on the rear of the slide, set the slide even on both sides, and reinstalled the motor. That did not correct the problem. On further inspection, they found that the exterior frame of the slide is hitting the metal bracket that holds the flap seal on the bottom. The floor of the slide was bent downward because the existing roller system was not adequate to support the weight of the refrigerator. To correct the problem, they will have to pull the slide, add a roller and metal plate, and reposition the other roller. Fortunately, they made some modifications so that coach is usable until it will be repaired during the off-season.

The service representative said that Fleetwood is “aware of this issue” and authorized the work to be done. Does this mean that newer models will have improved roller systems to avoid this problem? Owners of the Flair 26d should also be “aware of this issue” because it has the same slide configuration as the 26e.
I would get the delayed repair in writing.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 07:45 PM   #3

Actually, I am reasonably confident that the work will be done as promised. Subsequent to the dinette/refrigerator slide problem, the wardrobe slide was extended and would not retract. It didn't help that the slide operating instructions supplied with our coach did not pertain to the system installed on our coach. I found the proper instructions on the Internet and, with the help of a phone call from the service department, was able to use an emergency procedure to retract the slide. Within a few days, the service department scheduled a repair. (They canceled the appointment of an individual who had not purchased his coach at the dealership to work us in.) The conclusion was that a spring connected to the slide motor had come detached from its supporting hook. We have not had any problems with that slide since the repair

The service department, which has a good reputation, has been responsive to our needs and has been supportive in our efforts to correct these problems and make the coach usable during the camping season. I have the commitment of the service manager to do the off-season work in an email message from him.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:25 AM   #4

Flair 26e slide problem

Al Fresco, did you ever get your living room slide repair work completed?

I have completed my own living room slide repair and would like to report a happy ending:

The issue - missing trim parts, missing roller ramps and improperly adjusted rollers.

While at the service center; some repairs were completed and a promise was made that they would mail the missing parts to me. To REV's credit, the parts were indeed mailed.

The following is the work performed on the living room slide:

Added roller ramps, adjust rollers, added missing trim, cleaned up wiring mess under the slide and added additional weatherstripping.

FYI - slides are HEAVY
Old 03-12-2017, 11:58 AM   #5

biggcrisp,

Yes, the warranty work was done on schedule to repair the “living room” slide. I am not sure what all was involved, but I do know the rollers were adjusted (replaced?) and steel plates were placed under them. The slide now closes properly. You are to be commended for doing this work yourself. It is certainly more than I could have managed on my own. The service department completely removed the slide with a forklift to do the work.

As mentioned earlier, we also had a problem with the wardrobe slide getting stuck in the extended position. The service department adjusted the stops, which they claim has solved the problem. The Power Gear video that describes the operation of the slides says the “out” button should be held for a few seconds after the slide has been fully extended to synchronize the motors. However, the sales rep said to stop pushing the button before the slide is fully extended to avoid binding. I would assume that, if the stops have been properly set, it would be advisable to follow the Power Gear instructions. I tested the wardrobe slide at the service center, and holding the button did not seem to cause a problem. How long that holds true remains to be seen. Do you hold the slide buttons per the Power Gear instructions when operating the slides?
Old 03-12-2017, 03:24 PM   #6

I hold the button until the motors synchronize.

Have already been out once this year to test a few minor mods and now we are getting ready to head to Tennessee for a week.
Old 03-12-2017, 07:05 PM   #7

biggcrisp,

Thanks for the reply and have a wonderful trip.

Tags
slide