Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2022, 05:03 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Flair - Ford 460 - Loud, then Quiet - Why?

I purchased a 1990 Fleetwood Flair with about 60,000 miles about 5 months ago. Everything is working great (except the gas gauge, which I'm already taking care of). We have taken it out a few times this summer on some 200+ mile trips.

This isn't really a problem, but I am wondering what is happening to cause this. The engine will run pretty loud when around town or on the highway. Sometimes it just stays loud and never quiets down, but other times it will quiet down while driving. The motorhome seems to have just as much power when it's loud or quiet. Hot or cold ambient and engine temperatures do not seem to make a difference as to when (or if) it quiets down.

Basically, it runs loud at start-up and continues while driving. Sometimes it stays loud even after 100+ miles. Other times it will quiet down at 15 or 20 miles out.

Obviously, quiet is preferred, and I'm wondering what might be the "trigger" for this. I've owned many Fords, but this is my first 460 and my first Class A.
Webfeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2022, 05:08 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
First off, welcome aboard!
Perhaps you have a viscous fan clutch that is acting up, making the engine seem to roar. Is that what you hear?
Old 08-10-2022, 05:27 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree, he is probably hearing the fan.

It is probably the viscous fan clutch. Normal operation of these clutches is to be engaged during and right after a cold (meaning ambient temperature) start. If the outside air is cool the clutch will often disengage after a few minutes. If it is hot outside (greater than 80) it might stay engaged.

He might try to better define the conditions where the fan noise is high and then when the fan noise is low. It should be noisy during high engine load and hot ambient temperatures and quiet during light engine load and cool ambient temperatures.

It sounds like it might be acting normally.
Old 08-10-2022, 05:29 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes. It is a "roaring" sound. The part that confuses me is that it starts up loud and later will quiet down after warming up to running temperature. Which seems to be the opposite of how it should work. If it's acting up, though, I guess that makes sense.
Old 08-10-2022, 05:32 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
yeloduster explained it better than I did. Be happy it is working. If you never hear it, that would be a bigger problem.
Old 08-10-2022, 05:43 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thank you yeloduster and TandW. I'll have to pay closer attention to the temperature. Shouldn't be hard up here in ND.

I drove 250 miles on Monday with it running loud for the whole trip. On the way back, today (which was warmer) it quieted down for about 150 miles of the return trip. It could have been tailwinds and other factors, though, so I'll test it more as autumn approaches.

I agree. Better to have it running than to not hear it at all.
Old 08-10-2022, 06:08 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
At some 22 years old, the radiator and AC condensers should be inspected to see if they should be cleaned. Good luck!
Old 08-10-2022, 06:43 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That (and much more) was done about 3.5 years ago. Great maintenance records on this thing. Wife and I had been looking for a nice Class A for about 10 years when we came across this one. With the shape it's in, everything working, no leaks, and the maintenance records we couldn't pass it up.

Funny thing is, I am just worried about a little bit of a loud engine, which is probably the least of what I'll end up repairing/upgrading over the next few years.
Old 08-10-2022, 07:16 PM   #9

I had one of those fan clutches on an F53 chassis and never could understand why it came on when it did, and why it quieted down when it did. It's operation never seemed to be tied to any change in the temperature gage.
Old 08-11-2022, 06:53 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The coolant temperature is controlled by the thermostat on the engine. Like the thermostat in your home it manages the engine temperature so it doesn't change under normal conditions.

The viscous clutch on the other hand does not react directly to the engine temperature. It reacts to the AIR coming through the radiator. As the thermostat regulates the flow of coolant through the engine the amount of heat coming off the radiator varies as well. This variation is what the viscous clutch reacts to.

Normal operation for the fan causes it to engage when the air temperature behind the radiator is ~170 and disengages when air temperature is ~150. Note, fan engages when the air temperature is ~20 lower than nominal engine temperature.

This means that the fan may cycle off and on without any discernable movement of the engine temperature on your gauge. However you may be able to relate fan cycling to ambient temperature or to engine load. Climbing the hill the clutch engages, coasting down the hill the clutch disengages.

I live in Colorado and virtually all my trips involve one or more mountain passes. The fan engages going up the pass and disengages going down the pass. On flat level ground on a 70 day doesn't engage much. Same terrain on a 90 day and it is on most of the time.
Old 08-11-2022, 06:58 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The chassis air conditioner cycling on and off probably is helping the viscous fan clutch to cycle.
Old 08-11-2022, 05:56 PM   #12

Is it time to change your belts? If so, cut off the fan belt, and start the engine for 15-30 seconds. Is the 'roar' gone? If so, it was the engine fan you were hearing. Your fan clutch may be acting up, just swap it out and put new belts on.
Old 08-11-2022, 06:16 PM   #13

I replaced a few viscous fan clutches on customer vehicles. It always seemed the aftermarket fan clutches made more noise and the noise lasted longer than the OEM clutches. I wouldn't be surprised if at sometime the fan clutch has been replaced on your engine.
Other than being a little annoying the aftermarket clutches work fine. You will find in most cases they are cheaper than OEM.
Old 08-13-2022, 08:09 PM   #14

If your fan clutch stays engaged when the engine is cold and the A/C is off, then it needs replaced. If you elect to change the fan clutch, O'reilly Auto parts has a clutch that will work correctly. I've been running the same clutch on my 1995 Ford F53 460 for over 12 years with no problems. My chassis is identical to yours.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c...n+clutch&pos=1

Richard

Tags
air, ford, quiet