Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2015, 09:41 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Dolly vs 4 down

I dolly and I will change when we purchase another car. Our Avalon can't be towed 4 down. The hookup is the thing. The dolly takes some time prob 20 min to get it up on the dolly, hooked up and safety checked. Tightening up the straps can be a problem if you have mobility problems. Also the platform pin can give you trouble if getting down flexible. Also when the ground is wet and it's raining it can be a real hassle. Muddy knees are usually the result. When the time comes 4 down will be in our future.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2015, 10:30 PM   #16

Carolina Campers
Flat or with dolly

I used a dolly at first out of necessity with the car I had. After using a dolly for too long, when I finally bought a car that could be flat towed, I switched to flat towing. I'd pay twice the cost to flat tow versus going back to a tow dolly. It is so worth it to me.

Ted
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 10:38 PM   #17

I'm cheap so I went cost effective.. or fiscally conservative.. New blue ox baseplate $350. Used tow bar from a gentleman that used it once to tow a race car from ND to MN $25. Rear view camera so I can watch the toad $100. Installed everything myself. Total cost besides bruised hands and bloody fingers.. $475. Haven't had any probs.
Old 12-25-2015, 11:48 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dano726 View Post
I'm cheap so I went cost effective.. or fiscally conservative.. New blue ox baseplate $350. Used tow bar from a gentleman that used it once to tow a race car from ND to MN $25. Rear view camera so I can watch the toad $100. Installed everything myself. Total cost besides bruised hands and bloody fingers.. $475. Haven't had any probs.
You don't mention the cost of an auxiliary brake.

It is not a fair comparison when you leave out an important part of a towing system.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 12:37 AM   #19

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachC View Post
Hello Everyone,
I often see the dolly Vs. 4down discussion but have not seen or heard from those that trailer their autos. I see both covered and open trailers being pulled by motorhomes. I would like to hear the advantages and disadvantages of trailering. I'm sure storage of a trailer can be an issue but it can also provide an opportunity to carry other than autos.
Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated.
Cheers,

CoachC
we trailer several different cars at different times , my 8 second roadster would not tow well by dolly , nor would my corvette , but the caravan or geo metro will work in the trailer or dolly i use . The trailer also can carry the quad or golf cart as well as bicycles and any extras that will not fit in the MH
So different strokes for different folks
roadster27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 12:51 AM   #20

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've towed the same vehicle ('05 Ody) both four down and on a dolly (KK-460) behind the same MH ('02 DSDP). It's slightly easier four down but the towed does suffer more damage and wear that way. Plus, once you buy the dolly you can tow any number of front wheel drive vehicles with almost no extra expense.
The deciding factor is if the vehicle you now have can be towed four down, even though you have to set up each vehicle with new brackets and lighting. Usually the towbar and braking system will transfer.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 08:12 AM   #21

Thank you so much for all your feedback and Merry Christmas! :-)

I think that we will go for dolly towing, however we have heard that in some states there might be taxes for a dolly and that you need to register it - can you confirm that this is true for Florida?

Many greetings from Germany - too warm around here for this time of year and no snow for christmas. :-(

Ralf

2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E Ford V10 Triton
H2O4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 08:15 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O4 View Post
Thank you so much for all your feedback and Merry Christmas! :-)

I think that we will go for dolly towing, however we have heard that in some states there might be taxes for a dolly and that you need to register it - can you confirm that this is true for Florida?

Many greetings from Germany - too warm around here for this time of year and no snow for christmas. :-(

Ralf
No taxes or plates required in Florida, just buy it and use it. Be sure to check out the Acme EZE Tow, with the Hydraulic surge brakes.
Old 12-26-2015, 08:19 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
No taxes or plates required in Florida, just buy it and use it. Be sure to check out the Acme EZE Tow, with the Hydraulic surge brakes.
Allright, thanks a lot!

Old 12-26-2015, 08:23 AM   #24

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
Oh one more thing - just saw in your signature that you tow a car with manual transmission. Does it make a difference when dolly towing or can you basically also use automatic transmission?

Thanks again!

Old 12-26-2015, 08:50 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgman50 View Post
We use a tow dolly. Compare costs, assuming you currently own a car that can be flat towed.
New dolly with electric brakes -$1,200.00
Brake controller - $100.00

Flat tow using a 2008 Honda crv. All prices from remco
Tail light wiring kit - $325.00
Blue ox base plate -$445.00
Blue ox braking system - $1,395.00
Safety cable - $100.00
Blue ox tow bar - $745.00
Installation - ???

For me personally, I'm happy with the dolly. Easy to load and unload, never had a problem storing it.

With that being said, most of the time we take our golf cart instead of a car since it's cheaper to rent a car than a golf cart. Imagine that!
Okay, on topic you use a dolly, but how do you bring your golf cart? You don't do it on a dolly do you?
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 09:02 AM   #26

Front wheel drive automatic cars can be dolly towed.

Acme dollys need the steering wheel unlocked. There are a few cars that lock the steering and need the key on. This can sometimes run down the battery.

Most other dollys have a turn table or steering tires. They can be used with locked steering wheels, so no key on.

I have towed a KIA automatic car thru almost every state, East of the Missisippi. Surge brakes are always working, even with the light plug dragging on the ground. ( woops )

The dolly fender lights was all I used but I may add some Harbor Freight lights to the back of the car for increased safety, if I drive at night or in storms. ( Maybe after cataract surgery )

I use a Stehl Tow dolly. Some Hardware stores carry them.

I hooked it up, drove the car on, strapped it down and traveled 2500 miles the first trip.
Old 12-26-2015, 09:23 AM   #27

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Front wheel drive automatic cars can be dolly towed.

Acme dollys need the steering wheel unlocked. There are a few cars that lock the steering and need the key on. This can sometimes run down the battery.

Most other dollys have a turn table or steering tires. They can be used with locked steering wheels, so no key on.

I have towed a KIA automatic car thru almost every state, East of the Missisippi. Surge brakes are always working, even with the light plug dragging on the ground. ( woops )

The dolly fender lights was all I used but I may add some Harbor Freight lights to the back of the car for increased safety, if I drive at night or in storms. ( Maybe after cataract surgery )

I use a Stehl Tow dolly. Some Hardware stores carry them.

I hooked it up, drove the car on, strapped it down and traveled 2500 miles the first trip.
Ok, so we are in the situation that we do not have a car in the U.S. (and also no towing equipment) yet. That basically means that we need to take care that, when buying the car, the dolly will also fit to the car, depending on if the car has a steering wheel lock or not. Correct?

Is there any advantage of a dolly that requires a locked steering wheel over a dolly that doesn't? Maybe when turning the vehicle?`

Old 12-26-2015, 09:35 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O4 View Post
Ok, so we are in the situation that we do not have a car in the U.S. (and also no towing equipment) yet. That basically means that we need to take care that, when buying the car, the dolly will also fit to the car, depending on if the car has a steering wheel lock or not. Correct?

Is there any advantage of a dolly that requires a locked steering wheel over a dolly that doesn't? Maybe when turning the vehicle?`
People like the Acme dolly because it it light and can be stood up for storage. Thats the one that needs the key on on some cars. Acme can probably tell you which ones.

My dolly has built in ramps and a turntable. Locking steering or not don't matter. Its a bit heavier and can't be stood up but I full time so that don't matter to me.

If you don't already have a car, you could get one that can be towed with a tow bar. No dolly needed.

Once set up, quick and easy to use.

Tags
dolly