Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2008, 07:30 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Has anybody removed the old CRT TV's and replace them with HD LCD flat screens in a 2004 vintage Southwind? If you have, what size & model TV's did you find to fit in the old enclosures? And if you have pictures of your installation online I would sure appreciate a link to them.
wilanddij is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2008, 07:30 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Has anybody removed the old CRT TV's and replace them with HD LCD flat screens in a 2004 vintage Southwind? If you have, what size & model TV's did you find to fit in the old enclosures? And if you have pictures of your installation online I would sure appreciate a link to them.
wilanddij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 05:13 PM   #3

I replaced the OEM CRT set with an LCD that is an exact fit for width.It is a Sanyo and the only source seems to be Wal Mart.The picture is OK.The only real issue was to manufacture a louvre to both support the fibre glass insulation and allow free air movement for cooling above the TV.The reduced weight over head has to improve handling and the cabinet no longer threatens to pull down from the ceiling since my modifications to the cabinet support structure.

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 03:15 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
I had replaced the 27" front TV in my '05 Pace Arrow with a 32" LCD LG tv. Fit fine in the box, mounted it forward with a 3" set back so I could store the remote for tv,sat, and surround.

Richard
Old 08-07-2008, 08:45 AM   #5

Minor thread creep

I've been reading many of these threads about converting to a flat screen TV ( and some of the workmanship has been outstanding !), but I haven't seen any that apply to my situation.

In the late 90's ,early 2000's Fleetwood class A's the forward TV's are housed in the dash area and can be moved up with an articulating support mechanism.

Anyone out there that's tackled this install ???

Roger
Roger Kneeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 05:16 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Roger,
Jim Dick did that re-make on his 2000 American Dream. I believe he had Davis Cabinets in Oregon do the work, making the extra space into storage as well as replacing the tv.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 03:56 PM   #7

Gary,

Thanks ! Is Jim still on any of the forums? Maybe he has some pictures

Rog
Roger Kneeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 05:03 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

He is a moderator on www.rvforum.net
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:03 AM   #9

Hello, my husband wanted one so I bought a 27" flat screen by sharp and a surround sound system. We put a board in front of the old tv and under the cabinet frame, put the frame back on and hung the tv there. We got the surround sound because the sound came out of the bottom and hanging it there you could hear it on the floor but not much from anyplace else. good luck. Peggy
Peggy&Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 07:57 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wilanddig asked about replacing the CRT TV in a 2004 Southwind 32. I have a 2006 with the same question. I have not taken the existing flat screen out so my inside measurements of the cabinet is as close as I can get it. I am guessing that the exterior wood framing is removed by mounting screws located inside the framing..near the tv.

I am interested in what the actual interior measurements are. I would like to use a 32" Samsung LCD HDTV which says it is 31.4 inches and my measurement is "about" 31.5. My backup is the Toshiba.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:41 PM   #11

On my 37C Southwind there is a "liner"in the TV enclosure that is like rec room paneling circa 1960 and this could be removed to gain another 3/8 of an inch in width and then re-installed after the TV is in place--just a thought.

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 03:16 AM   #12

My bedroom TV in my 2007 Bounder 35E is junk. Never but RCA. It has about 20 hours on it and is out of warranty. When I turn it on the screen is Red and then it powers off. This is a flat screen CRT. I am looking to replace it with a LCD TV.
dickfrompasadena is offline   Reply With Quote