Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2021, 11:09 AM   #1

Fleetwood battery disconnect switch

I have wondered and been confused about these switches for years. Am I understanding correctly (from reading an old post but one that is too old to reply to) that I cannot and should not disconnect when plugged into shore power? I am full-time at the moment. I had been thinking mine needs replacing but perhaps not. I was never sure which is the right direction to push since it doesn't stay in either side but returns back to the middle. An indicator would be real nice.
However last night the park lost power for a few minutes and my 12v lights did not stay on. Could my batteries be dead or do I perhaps have them disconnected? I do not hear any sound when I push the rocker switch either way but am on shore power. I do recall awhile back when we swapped all my fixtures out for LED lights that we did get them to go off (main power was off too). Perhaps we disnt turn back on ?
Lisakmusco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2021, 11:48 AM   #2

I leave ours on all the time, only time they ever get turned off is when it was being stored in a lot for the winter. We now leave it at the house and plugged in all year round. Pushing the buttons up engage the solenoids on ours and down is off. I can't hear ours engage unless i'm out under the hood listening which is where ours are located.
295Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 01:38 PM   #3

Your lights should have stayed on. When is the last time battery acid was checked assuming you have wet cell batteries?
Old 07-21-2021, 04:07 PM   #4

I mine I have two rocker switches by the door.. they have a return to neutral position.. up is on, down is off,, so anytime I push up and then down you here a click, they do need exercise once and a while with heavy loads off, like a/c.. but you should hear them.. now it could have been, you simply had the coach relay in off position, since you where plugged into shoes power, and all you needed to do was to go to coach switch and push up.. it's so easy to forget in what was the last position the coach relay was in.. all that said, even if the coach relay was in the off position, the coach lights will still work off a different system called the converter/charger.. so when you lost power at shore line just go up front and push up the activate the coach relay.. think of the relay like a mechanical slide.. that a large magnet pulls one way or the other to make or un-make the connection,, on or off, if you just hold the switch down or up for a long time you would burn out the large magnet.. so on shore power the converter runs the lights, it converts a/c to d/c.. for lights..and chargers the batteries.. when was the last time you cleaned all the connections on the relays, they get very corroded over time and have to be cleaned and resealed.. and man.. there are a lot.. so turn off inside a/c and unplug shore power.. try the switches.. if you can't here them.. get help and have them listen under the hood at driver's side.. if still can't hear.. then look for them.. drivers side under hood either under a shield or exposed.. two black boxes that have large battery cables run to one side and smaller wires coming off the other.. if you wish to clean them get back with us.. and we can post that.. I got to go.. good luck and let us know what you did and maybe better members then me will help you..
donr103 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 04:23 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We always left the batteries on when hooked up. The only time I shut them down was in storage. Make sure you check your fluid levels in the batteries at least once a month. At least that's how often I checked mine. JMHO
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 05:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Your lights should have stayed on. When is the last time battery acid was checked assuming you have wet cell batteries?
Had them both replaced about 4 years ago I believe.
My meter on the wall says they are good but...a friend has proven to me with the engine battery (which has suddenly started going dead even though its only a year old) as he unhooked it and the display still said 14 so I am not confident in that.
Old 07-22-2021, 04:46 PM   #7

There is a third relay in your battery control center (BCC) that combines/isolates the two battery banks. It combines the two banks when ever either bank reaches 13.3 volts and goes open circuit when either bank reaches 12.8 volts. If you are plugged in and the chassis battery goes dead, the isolator relay could be bad. Depending on the year of your coach, you could have one or two silver relays in the BCC. If two silver relays, the top one is the isolator relay.

Richard
Old 07-23-2021, 07:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
They are the sealed ones so no adding water. However, I do see some bulging on both. They are right about 5 years old.
Old 07-23-2021, 12:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by House Husband View Post
There is a third relay in your battery control center (BCC) that combines/isolates the two battery banks. It combines the two banks when ever either bank reaches 13.3 volts and goes open circuit when either bank reaches 12.8 volts. If you are plugged in and the chassis battery goes dead, the isolator relay could be bad. Depending on the year of your coach, you could have one or two silver relays in the BCC. If two silver relays, the top one is the isolator relay.

Richard
Thank you. I am having a problem with the chassis battery going dead constantly this year (and just put a new one in 7/31/20). I had read something about that relay before and was looking for that info again as well.
Old 07-27-2021, 01:22 PM   #10

My house runs off the house batteries and will charge with the generator. I also have them wired to charge by my alternator when I am driving or engine is running. The house batteries run the house, the cab and engine run off the alternator. I never turn any batteries off. My Motor Home initially had batteries separate and the generator only charge the house batteries, we changed the connections so as to charge no matter what is running over a year ago. All Good.
Trek8288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 02:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisakmusco View Post
Thank you. I am having a problem with the chassis battery going dead constantly this year (and just put a new one in 7/31/20). I had read something about that relay before and was looking for that info again as well.
5 year old house batteries probably AGM are very old and that's probable your problem. check their labels for battery type/ life span info
IamCarbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 03:10 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
I had an issue too where I didn't hear that "click" and it turned out the solenoid was fried and I had to replace it. pretty easy fix. Fleetwood was great about sending me wiring diagrams for where it was and part number.
mscottcody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 08:35 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
I just purchased my 33' Softwind and she started once before we had to tow her home. New battery and starter. No click, no start, nothing. Bybased the ignition switch and direct wired starter (+) and "S" up to a toggle switch, with ignition in run position and still nothing. I'm not sure what to do next except maybe check for bad ground to chassis(?)
Anyone with more electrical knowledge than I, able to offer some direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, BC1966
BC1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 05:27 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Not sure of the OP's types size and year but...

Starter problem not related to the OP but most likely the relay in the god house next tour gas foot. These are common relays and found at all car part stores and Ford have used them for donkeys years and they do fail, just replaced mine.

Never put a new battery in with an old one. Do both.

Your best investment is to install 2 full size solar panels on the roof. The controller will tell you the the voltage of your house batteries and whether its charging them. Super Valuable item.

Make sure the engine is charging the batteries with volt meter. It will go from 11 Volts to ~14V when engine starts.

I believe The switch on the dash is most often used to start the engine if the engine battery is dead. It couples the coach batteries to your engine battery which is why its a momentary switch.

Most units you can hear the relay toggle using the door switched. Turn off
either one when not in use. Even just the relay current will drain batteries over time.

Aftermarket shore to 12V chargers are also a wise move as well, as is a 12v to 120V inverter >=2400W

Good luck!

Tags
battery, battery disconnect, disconnect, fleetwood, switch