Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2021, 11:38 AM   #1

Fleetwood Bounder or Southwind

A salesman told us the only difference between a bounder and a southwind is a little metal trim at the bottom. That does not sound correct. Please tell me the difference-Sergeantrock
SERGEANTROCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2021, 12:00 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ive owned a 2016 Bounder and now a 2019 Southwind. The Southwind is the highest end gas model that Fleetwood make. Its probably made on the same line, by the same employees, at the same factory. The Southwind probably has some items and features that are not available on the Bounder. If you want the top of the line and have the money get the Southiwind.... If you want to save some money and don't mind a little step down from top of the line... go for the Bounder. Some things I remember are that I got the Truma constant hot water heater vs. the 10 gallon tank. I think the Southwinds induction cooktop was not available on the Bounder that year.... 265 watt solar panel, Wifi booster, dash cam with collision avoidance system, and some other stuff.

I have not been in a new Fleetwood in the last 2 years so I cant tell you specifics on the differences, but you should be able to see some of the differences online in the info and pictures, or just call REV group and ask.

We had the usual first year shake down stuff on both coaches but don't let others tell you otherwise, it's a fine coach and you will go thru the same problems with a Newmar or a Tiffin. When I was buying my Southwind I actually canceled deposits on two different Tiffins on two different sales lots because of manufacturing failures right out of the gate. My Bounder had less problems then my Southwind but now that its all fixed I prefer my Southwind and would get another.
We RV'd ALL of the lower 48 states and into Canada
AZ RV'r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 01:57 PM   #3

I was also trying to decide on a 2021 Bounder vs Southwind 33c vs 34c(they are the same). Even though I preferred some of the features in the Southwind I went with the Bounder,main reason was th CCC was significantly less on the Southwind.
Ausable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 02:50 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausable View Post
I was also trying to decide on a 2021 Bounder vs Southwind 33c vs 34c(they are the same). Even though I preferred some of the features in the Southwind I went with the Bounder,main reason was th CCC was significantly less on the Southwind.
Curious what gives the Bounder significantly more carrying capacity? Assuming the chassis are identical, it must come down to the" house build" quality or the capacity of the black , grey and fresh water holding tanks or is one slightly larger ??
Old 04-16-2021, 04:58 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewellz View Post
Curious what gives the Bounder significantly more carrying capacity? Assuming the chassis are identical, it must come down to the" house build" quality or the capacity of the black , grey and fresh water holding tanks or is one slightly larger ??
According to what I've been able to find, the Bounder is 34' long, on a 208" wheelbase while the Southwind is 36' long, on a 228" wheelbase.
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 07:41 PM   #6

No the Bounder 33C and the Southwind 34C are the same size
22,000 lb. 208 in. Same fluid capacities.The reason is all the different trim features that add more weight to the Southwind, crome trim on bottom, fancy light fixtures, the dinning table in the Southwind is Solid surface where the bounder us not to name a few. All these thing add up. For me it was more important to have almost 800 more lbs of CCC.
Ausable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 07:59 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausable View Post
No the Bounder 33C and the Southwind 34C are the same size
You're right - I was looking at a different Southwind model; sorry about that!
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 08:07 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
My OCCC is 2572 on my Southwind.... SOOOO????

I understand I have a different model but mine is huge and I couldn't come close to that number even if I tried.

What is the Bounder number, if it's more like you say VS the Southwind? I cant find numbers online because each RV is trimmed out differently. I would love to see the two identical trimmed coach window stickers, and their two yellow stickers to see this 800lb difference.

As far as the chrome trim, on mine, its very thin and attached with 3M tape all the pieces combined cant weigh more than 15 LBS. Click on my profile picture to see, its the chrome on the bottom of all the cargo doors. Its thin, flimsy and lightweight, you could fold the metal easily with your hands, so if there is truly 800 lbs its got to be something more substantial.

Its possible one had a washer and drier installed and the other didn't.... or something similar to that. Not 800 lbs but could be a small part?
We RV'd ALL of the lower 48 states and into Canada
AZ RV'r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 07:53 PM   #9

Differences for the current models

Southwind has the following:
1. Valance trim around window, the sides are wood
2. Chrome trim on bottom of baggage doors, and chrome handles
3. Fancy ceiling thing in center of ceiling mid ship
4. Same countertop material as kitchen counter on dinette and sinks
5. Side armrests for driver/passenger had a magazine/map pocket below them. Not sure if this is still true as Fleetwood has updated the dash to a completely different look starting in March
6. Completely chrome mirrors (bounder has black arms, but chrome mirror top)
7. Chrome front grill and headlight surrounds
8. Chrome rear taillight surrounds
mack73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 03:04 PM   #10

Bounder vs southwind

Thanks for all your replies

Sergeant Rock
SERGEANTROCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 11:35 AM   #11

My 2017 Bounder 33C has a 2526lb OCCC. My coach has all solid counter tops and dining table as well as a washer/dryer, chrome mirror arms and mirrors but no chrome trim.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-7226.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	385.5 KB
ID:	325675  

Tags
bounder, fleetwood, southwind, wind