RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2008, 10:41 AM   #1

Hi all - Saturday we took out a 2008 gas Bounder 32K for a test drive. It was considerably "rattley" (sorry probably not a real word). Here is my novice RV owner to be question - are rattles and creeks and general noises commonplace with RVees? The salesman was very upfront and said that most have there own set of rattles and creaks- some more than others and alot have more than what we were hearing. I hope I am not questioning the obvious but - are these noises common in the "low-end" entry coaches, is it something inherent to driving a home down the road, is a sign of shoddy craftsmanship, or just something you get used to and try to improve little by little. Thanks for your input - this has been driving me as nuts as all the rattles.

Team Bullrider24
Bullrider24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2008, 10:41 AM   #2

Fleetwood Bounder Rattle Question

Hi all - Saturday we took out a 2008 gas Bounder 32K for a test drive. It was considerably "rattley" (sorry probably not a real word). Here is my novice RV owner to be question - are rattles and creeks and general noises commonplace with RVees? The salesman was very upfront and said that most have there own set of rattles and creaks- some more than others and alot have more than what we were hearing. I hope I am not questioning the obvious but - are these noises common in the "low-end" entry coaches, is it something inherent to driving a home down the road, is a sign of shoddy craftsmanship, or just something you get used to and try to improve little by little. Thanks for your input - this has been driving me as nuts as all the rattles.

Team Bullrider24
Old 02-04-2008, 10:49 AM   #3

Hello Bullrider,
We too were concerned with rattles and an odd whistling when we test drove a beautiful 2007 gas Bounder. One rep told us it was just the front grill design...

Strongly recommend you drive other 'brands' RVs of roughly same size, for comparison. If you love the Bounder...at least drive a couple different ones to compare.

Sure glad we did. At that moment in time, same size, gas, 2007 Southwind was considerably quieter.

2007 Fleetwood Southwind 32V w/Ford V10
Bludog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 11:00 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to GerryB54 Send a message via Skype™ to GerryB54
Coming from almost 30 years of new Class Cs and dealing with their rattles, the new to me Class A is a dream!

They all start with some, most are cureable, and some go away when the rig is loaded for use.

New units on the lot with nothing in them make the most noise, in my experience.

Overall, my Bounder is the quietest traveling motorhome I've ever owned...very rattle free.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:24 AM   #5

If you want "Quiet".
1st move up to a Diesel Pusher.
2nd move up the scale as high as you can afford! Expect the better sounding units to start at above $500,000.00.
But expextations are relitive.
That's why I still drive a "Rattley Gas Bounder"!
JMO!!
JerryForwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 01:47 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our 2004 34F Bounder had some rattles and two were the standoff that hold the aluminum curtain rail. Glued them,there gone and a wind noise from the driver side mirror. That is still there and got use to it, with displeasure.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:08 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our 2005 Fleetwood Southwind was very noisy with many creaks and groans. I assumed all large RV's were noisy. Our new Winnebago Destination is probably 90% quieter. Drive different models to see if the same is true for you.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:35 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Our Bounder has its share of rattles & whistles going down the road.

The whistling was from the grill at highway speeds. The tubes are hollow & the air rushing by them sets them to humming (think of a very loud flute!). Our dealer told us Fleetwood knows about this design error & the dealer fixed the whistling by sealing the ends of the grill tubes.

The door to our stove rattled, but I fixed that by making sure I've got a dish towel folded over it before I close it. That gives it enough padding to keep it quiet.

Our screen door rattles when travelling, but I haven't figured out how to address this. I make sure the door is shut tight & that it's locked, but it still rattles in the frame. I mostly, just ignore it.

Last, a shelf in an overhead cabinet above my seat squeaks, but that's because there isn't anything on that shelf to weight it, so I'm sure it's just rubbing against the support pins.

Others with different coaches say they don't have such issues. Believe me, you can drive yourself crazy trying to stop or muffle every little squeak. The ones I do still have, I've just learned to tune out. Unless, it's what I call an unusual sound. Then I go investigate (Like the time I forgot to lock down the bedroom sliding door. It took several "thunks" from left & right turns before I traced where that sound was coming from ).

L-
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 05:40 AM   #9

Thanks all - Its very reassuring to have great input from you all - and its much appreciated. I had a feeling that some noises are going to be there but its like my grandfather clock that chimes every hour on the hour - after 15 years- I never hear it chime.Granted there are creaks and rattles and squeaks- after all look what you are moving down the road- darn near a house!
We actually put a deposit down on the Bounder and its being built out in PA. We take delivery in early April! Than look out for the questions
Anyway- love this forum- what a great bunch of folks-

Team Bullrider24
Old 02-05-2008, 08:59 AM   #10

Congratulations Bullrider on your Bounder decision! Don't worry about questions... I've learned so much just listening in to others here. Gained answers to questions I never knew I had! Cheers!

Old 02-05-2008, 12:30 PM   #11

Thanks Bludog- we are very excited and april can;t come soom enough!

Team Bullrider24
Old 02-05-2008, 01:16 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Part of the motorhome experience, is the taming of the beast. Whether is is a Bounder, Discovery, American Coach, or even some other brand, the finding and elimination of creaks, squeaks, rattles, whistles, or other strange indescribable noises is a game. On the '01 Discovery I fabricated a brace under the dash, on the '04 I rebuilt and beefed up the above windshield cabinets and on the Revolution, I found and eradicated even less obvious rattles. Get used to it and once you solve it another challenge or rattle arises. Enjoy the challenge. The odd annoying noise always beats the roar of jet engines in a cramped cabin, any day.

2007 REV LE
Jack Myton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 11:56 AM   #13

Jack...what a great response!
Cheers!

Old 02-06-2008, 11:58 PM   #14

Your last sentence sums it all up perfectly - well put!
I can picture it now - my wife roaming up and down the coach with her gorilla glue, velcro, and felt pads - I'll just turn up the radio!

Team Bullrider24