Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2019, 06:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmueller View Post
Nice...love South Haven, visit Sunny Brook every year.

Yep, 60 yesterday, 30 today and snow on the way. It's a little like living in Denver lately.

Ron
Sunnybrook? Them's the fancy side of the tracks! They only let me drive past it if I promise not to stop in.

Snow just started, here. 5-8 inches in the next 24 hours.
TimmyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2020, 05:29 AM   #16

We have a 2014 Fleetwood Southwind and travel I-75 each January from Ontario to Florida.
I place 2 remote thermometers (Walmart $15) in the fresh water wet bay and the utility bay.
I can monitor the temperature from the drivers seat.
We travel with the propane furnace set at 60-65F and this keeps the basement area at or above 38F.
Two years ago the temperature dropped to -4F and the basement never dropped below 38F.
For the first couple of nights we leave both the dinette and bedroom slides in to reduce the heating area. Our coach is set up so that it is still functional with the slides in.
This year we went almost 3 full days on one tank of propane running both the furnace and fridge, but filled up ($38) before running out to be safe.
Using the remote thermometers ensures you are getting heat to these critical areas.
The biggest issue when travelling in the Winter is finding places to dump and also finding fresh potable water until you are into warmer temps.
As an FYI, if you find a Flying J with a dump station open in the Winter they may no offer running water to flush, or guarantee the water is potable, also, some Georgia Rest Areas have dump stations.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 07:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.B1 View Post
We have a 2014 Fleetwood Southwind and travel I-75 each January from Ontario to Florida.
I place 2 remote thermometers (Walmart $15) in the fresh water wet bay and the utility bay.
I can monitor the temperature from the drivers seat.
We travel with the propane furnace set at 60-65F and this keeps the basement area at or above 38F.
Two years ago the temperature dropped to -4F and the basement never dropped below 38F.
For the first couple of nights we leave both the dinette and bedroom slides in to reduce the heating area. Our coach is set up so that it is still functional with the slides in.
This year we went almost 3 full days on one tank of propane running both the furnace and fridge, but filled up ($38) before running out to be safe.
Using the remote thermometers ensures you are getting heat to these critical areas.
The biggest issue when travelling in the Winter is finding places to dump and also finding fresh potable water until you are into warmer temps.
As an FYI, if you find a Flying J with a dump station open in the Winter they may no offer running water to flush, or guarantee the water is potable, also, some Georgia Rest Areas have dump stations.
Those thermometers are an AWESOME idea. Thanks, Jim!
Old 01-14-2020, 10:32 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We were traveling during February a few years ago through south Texas and had been driving all day through rain. We stopped for the night and knew that the temperature was going to drop into the high 20s overnight so I made sure that our water hose and sewer hose were safely stowed away, and the furnace was running to keep the basement warm. We got ready to leave the next morning and had quite a chuckle when we went to raise the levelers: they had frozen to the ground overnight! Took me almost 30 minutes with a heat gun to get them raised up!
Old 01-15-2020, 04:32 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You'll go through quite a bit of propane keeping everything warm. Attached was us lasi winter in the Rockies. PS: are there any places to stay in the winter there?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190218_173343.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	275.8 KB
ID:	272297  
DurangoNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 04:51 AM   #20

The new salt brine they are using to salt the roads is very corrosive and difficult to wash off. I keep my Mustang and Harley in the garage as soon as they lay it down.
Ron750 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 04:56 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron750 View Post
The new salt brine they are using to salt the roads is very corrosive and difficult to wash off. I keep my Mustang and Harley in the garage as soon as they lay it down.

On that note; I've never seen a MH for sale that had been on winter roads or had pets in it. Odd....
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:21 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
We were traveling during February a few years ago through south Texas and had been driving all day through rain. We stopped for the night and knew that the temperature was going to drop into the high 20s overnight so I made sure that our water hose and sewer hose were safely stowed away, and the furnace was running to keep the basement warm. We got ready to leave the next morning and had quite a chuckle when we went to raise the levelers: they had frozen to the ground overnight! Took me almost 30 minutes with a heat gun to get them raised up!
Oh, dear! Reminder to self: leveling, not THAT important in the winter!!!
Old 01-15-2020, 10:25 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurangoNick View Post
You'll go through quite a bit of propane keeping everything warm. Attached was us lasi winter in the Rockies. PS: are there any places to stay in the winter there?
Oh, wow, I HOPE I don't have anything that looks like that while we are there!!! As for where to stay, our daughter and son-in-law own a campground so we will just be staying there while we visit. The way the drive is set up, we'll actually be able to park right in the main road, next to our actual summer spot and use our power pedestal. The dump station for drive-ins is right there so as long as weather allows for it, we will be all set with that, as well.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:27 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron750 View Post
What state is that in, Ron?
Old 01-16-2020, 06:03 PM   #25

American Coach Owners Club
I don't know if this is any help or not, but our 98 dream is full time for us. Last year in Muncie IN, we had 3 days or so at -16. We put a small heater in the water bay, and using heated hoses we did ok. 1 day frozen because water line ended being unplugged.
nukid68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 09:39 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spent a week in 9 to 40 degree weather a couple of years ago. Stuck drop lights in the water bays along with a temp monitor. At 9 degrees the bay temps didn't fall below 40. Water was shut off in the campground and we ran through a good 50 gallons of our 70 onboard. Didn't have any problems other than having to deep clean the chassis from the brine used to melt the ice on the roads. We have decided that is too much winter for us and will not do that again.
Old 02-01-2020, 01:42 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by c92vette View Post
Spent a week in 9 to 40 degree weather a couple of years ago. Stuck drop lights in the water bays along with a temp monitor. At 9 degrees the bay temps didn't fall below 40. Water was shut off in the campground and we ran through a good 50 gallons of our 70 onboard. Didn't have any problems other than having to deep clean the chassis from the brine used to melt the ice on the roads. We have decided that is too much winter for us and will not do that again.
Thanks, Steve. Good info! I think we are seriously leaning towards this and (hopefully) we don't see too much of that stuff on the roads.

Tags
fleetwood, class a, cold weather