Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2017, 08:07 AM   #1

fleetwood coach battery

My coach and generator battery I think is dead because I can't start my generator unless my coach is ruining. And when I turn the coach off about 2 or 3 minutes later the generator dies.
grits58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2017, 08:43 AM   #2

fleetwood coach battery

Easiest way to find out is to put a voltage tester on the house battery bank. Also plug it in and check voltage again to see if it's charging.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:40 AM   #3

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grits58 View Post
My coach and generator battery I think is dead because I can't start my generator unless my coach is ruining. And when I turn the coach off about 2 or 3 minutes later the generator dies.
I sense something else is going on, because your generator should not need batteries for anything once it's running. In fact, it should be charging them back up when it's running. Shutting down a few minutes after the coach is turned off sound like another issue to me.
RCCFleetwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 07:05 AM   #4

Your on the right track. There is an automatic disconnect between the house and chassis batteries that is working properly. When the engine is running , both sets of batteries are connected together to allow charging of the house batteries from the alternator. Turning the engine off isolates the batteries to prevent running down the chassis batteries. Your generator needs the house batteries for starting and running. With the generator running your inverter or converter will charge the house batteries. Plug the coach into shore power and measure the voltage on the house batteries. Should be above 13 volts.Everything 12 volt should also work. Could also be bad connections or just real dead batteries. Most generators require 12 volts to run .
Old 09-25-2017, 07:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCFleetwood View Post
I sense something else is going on, because your generator should not need batteries for anything once it's running. In fact, it should be charging them back up when it's running. Shutting down a few minutes after the coach is turned off sound like another issue to me.
Most RV generators don't have their own charging systems. They depend on the house batteties 120 volt charging system to maintain them.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 07:19 AM   #6

Your house battery is dead and there is a good chance that the converter or inverter charger that runs off the generator is not working either.
The converter or inverter/charger, charges the house battery, to support the generator engines power needs.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:20 AM   #7

generator will also not run if the MH fuel tank is too low.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1rider View Post
generator will also not run if the MH fuel tank is too low.
But it will crank, when you hit the start button.

Tags
battery, fleetwood